Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

T1 Outputs for In-Ear Monitor

Here is my basic problem. In certain rooms (filled with people talking loudly) it can be difficult to hear the L1. In those situations I would like to be able to use my Shure earbuds as monitors. I have the model II and Tonematch. I play in a duo - two vocals and two guitars. I have a headphone amp I can mount to my mic stand to give me individual control over 4 channels. https://www.long-mcquade.com/4...ef=suggestive-search 

Do I run the preamp out from channels 1-3 and assign only the output from channel 4/5 to the aux output? That should give me my four channels. Has anyone tried this?

4 REPLIES 4
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: T1 Outputs for In-Ear Monitor

Hi Thundercranium,

You've thought through the connections and come up with a way to get four separate outputs. That will work as far as that goes however, I don't think you'll like the result.

• Channel 1-3 Preamp Outs are completely dry (no ToneMatch Preset, EQ, Effects or Reverb). You get the dry signal immediately after the trim control.
  • Channel 4/5 to the Aux out can have ToneMatch Preset, EQ, and Effects but no Reverb

I think you'll be happier using the T1 Master Output as the source for one of the inputs on the headphone mixer. 

If you are using an L1 Model 1S or L1 Model II, the T1 is sending the same output to the L1 through the ToneMatch Port as you will get from the T1 Master Output.

Use a Tip-Sleeve cable (not a Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable), one of the mono inputs on the headphone mixer.  If you use a Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable, you may not get any signal at all.

ST

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Put your L1 on a table to elevate your sound above your audience. Problem solved free of charge. I will PM you my address if you ever desire to send me a single red cent for my sage advice, @Thundercranium.

Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

I don't think raising the system will do any good. It's already at least a foot taller than I am (it's a model II not a compact). I have had my system for 6 or 7 years so I am fairly familiar with how it works. The same wonderful technology that allows it permit audience conversation in a room where you're trying just to set a mood (I play a brunch gig once a week) has a downside. If you are in a crowded room with a lot of people talking, you often can't hear as well as you're used to.

Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

ST posted:

Hi Thundercranium,

You've thought through the connections and come up with a way to get four separate outputs. That will work as far as that goes however, I don't think you'll like the result.

• Channel 1-3 Preamp Outs are completely dry (no ToneMatch Preset, EQ, Effects or Reverb). You get the dry signal immediately after the trim control.
  • Channel 4/5 to the Aux out can have ToneMatch Preset, EQ, and Effects but no Reverb

I think you'll be happier using the T1 Master Output as the source for one of the inputs on the headphone mixer. 

If you are using an L1 Model 1S or L1 Model II, the T1 is sending the same output to the L1 through the ToneMatch Port as you will get from the T1 Master Output.

Use a Tip-Sleeve cable (not a Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable), one of the mono inputs on the headphone mixer.  If you use a Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable, you may not get any signal at all.

ST

This is a concern. I suppose I could use the global output (which does reflect a good mix) and add a bit of the dry signal from the channel I need to hear best. Thanks.