Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chipster
Registered since

Sep 6, 2012

T1 Tonematch and Accessibility

Hello,
My name is Chip McCain, and so new to the Bose L1 family that I just registered my products with Matt today. BTW: your phone techs are great.

I want to begin by saying, like so many others, thank you for developing such an awesome product. I've only had my L1 Model II system a few weeks, but don't know how I lived with out it, and will never be with out it ever again.

I'm a totally blind musician and am wondering about the interface of the T1 Tonematch engine. I know it has a USB port, and am wondering if there's any way a PC based software interface could be developed so that any changes made on the T1 could be echoed to a PC so that it could be read to me via my screen reader. Of course I'm not so stupid to think just because it has a USB port that it can be done.

I know this at times easier said than done, but for example there's a software package out there called KDR and is produced by the guys at KeySounds.Com and allows the Kurzweil K series keyboard to be connected to the PC via MIDI. It then takes what ever changes are being made of the Kurzweil keyboard and ships (or draws) that information to the users PC monitor where it can be spoken aloud via the user's screen reader of choice. (I.E.: JAWS, Window EYES etc.) It also has a number of function keys that will let the user review for example the 6 soft buttons at the bottom of the Kurzweil screen. I understand that you would probably not see that as a feasible project since I only know of one other user on the forum that is blind. However, we need access to our geer just as much as a sighted musician, but don't always have the benefit of having a sighted person with us at our gigs. What a great tool it would be for us. What would be your thoughts on such an interface?
3 REPLIES 3
dibobbio
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2014

Re: T1 Tonematch and Accessibility

Hi Chipster,

Thank you for explaining your situation and the ways you are able to control your other gear. I certainly understand your concern about the lack of similar software for the T1. While there is no current software that will work with the T1 to achieve what you would like to do, I will pass this information along to engineering for review. I cannot say if or when any changes might be made but our engineers will certainly look into your concerns and the feasibility of any future changes.

Thank you!
chipster
Registered since

Sep 6, 2012

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I, more than most, understand the hurdels that may or may not be in making any software accessible. Just the fact that you'll pass it on to the engeneering department is all any one could ask. More times than not accessibilty is something that has to be built in, or at least plan for, from the start. When Kurzweil re-wrote the OS for the new line of PC keyboards, the hooks that made the K series accessible was drop therefore making the PC series non-accessible. They claim it was an oversite, and the next line of OS will have those hooks placed back in, but that is any one's guess. Those of us that are blind have long sinced learn that total independence and access to our equipment is rarely ever achieved and is more time than not just a pipe dream. most manufacturer's just don't believe there's enough of us blind artist to make it worth their while. However, i can just about garuntee that if a company made a totally accessible digital interface to their product that they could pretty much corner the blind user market, which there are hundreds of blind musicians if not more. Any way, sorry about the long winded post and thanks.
chipster
Registered since

Sep 6, 2012

Ok, I was just PMed by another user on the forums that is blind. That makes at least three of us. I'm wondering just how many blind users there really is.