Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

T4S shutting down after an hour

Just got my TS4 and second L1 to play in stereo. All was going along well for an hour or so and then the TS4 shut down while the blue light on the L1 base stayed on. Powered down, unplugged cables and plugged in again. Turned on and was ok for 5 minutes then it shot off again.  Repeated steps and it seemed ok for a couple songs so I stopped to not press my luck.  If the advice is to use the power adapter, don’t you lose the digital connection?  And playing in stereo with 2 L1s would that mean I need to run 1/4” TS cables from the TS4 to the bases of the L1s?  feel like the digital connection should suffice.  Not hot I’m the house at all by the way...what do you think?  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: T4S shutting down after an hour

Hi Steve,

Hey, I'm sorry your T4S is shutting down after an hour. If you are indoors and T4S is not in direct sunlight and it is not getting warm to the touch, that doesn't sound like a heat-related issue.

It might do that if you have a power issue (low voltage from the AC outlet connected to the L1). What else is on the circuit along with the two L1 systems (which model?).

This isn't a common problem, so you can call Bose Support to see what they suggest.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions

By the way, if you do end up using a ToneMatch Power Supply, you should connect the T4S to the L1 systems using two cables like this.

1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable

[local image not available]

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

Thanks ST - both sides are L1 model 1S with tone match port - left side has the B2 bass module and the right (where the T4s gets its power) has the B1 bass module.  Both L1s, a Nord Grand and an IPad are on the same circuit.  I’m searching now to be sure I have the latest firmware - not sure that would help...if it matters, I have a (phantom Powered) mic in 1, shure sm58 in 2, elec bass in 3, Uke with pickup in 4 and the Nord is in 5/6 aux in.  Digital connections from T4s to both L1s. Does that give any clues?  Thanks again!

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Steve,

Here you go.

T4S/T8S Firmware Update Instructions 

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

ST - thanks for all the help.   I called the service center this morning - understandably no answer now during the virus...I’m also assuming since the latest firmware version is from Nov 2018, my TS4 just purchased must have the latest version - I can confirm later - I don’t see a way I can identify the firmware version directly on the TS4 without connecting to my laptop so will get to that later today or over the weekend.   Since the phone lines weren’t available to help, I followed the online report a problem process and ultimately got a shipping return label offer to send it and have it repaired - that looks like 3 weeks out of commission and I assume that’s in normal conditions.   Don’t think I want to be out of commission that long - if they could send a replacement and let me ship this one back, that could work - but totally understand things are a little upside down right now.  I will attempt to separate both L1s on different circuits and see if that makes a difference.   If not - I’m definitely going to have to send this back....again, very much appreciate the help...   Steve

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Steve.

@Steve posted:

ST - thanks for all the help.   I called the service center this morning - understandably no answer now during the virus...

It's been sporadic - getting through to a support technician - that depends on the phone traffic.

I’m also assuming since the latest firmware version is from Nov 2018, my TS4 just purchased must have the latest version - I can confirm later - I don’t see a way I can identify the firmware version directly on the TS4 without connecting to my laptop so will get to that later today or over the weekend.  

To determine the firmware version on your T4S without a computer.

1. Turn the Rotary Selector to Prefs
  2. Turn the Menu button (left most under display) to highlight Versions
  3. Press the Menu button to display the firmware version

The latest version is V1.1.4

If you not at that version please see T4S/T8S Firmware Update Instructions 

Since the phone lines weren’t available to help, I followed the online report a problem process and ultimately got a shipping return label offer to send it and have it repaired - that looks like 3 weeks out of commission and I assume that’s in normal conditions.  

Don’t think I want to be out of commission that long - if they could send a replacement and let me ship this one back, that could work - but totally understand things are a little upside down right now.  I will attempt to separate both L1s on different circuits and see if that makes a difference.   If not - I’m definitely going to have to send this back....again, very much appreciate the help...   Steve

I understand.

I know it's not convenient but I would try a different AC power source or run with just one L1 (to reduce the power draw), to see if that makes a difference.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

Thanks again, ST - I’m embarrassed to admit I missed that - I must have been tired last night when I powered it on and went to PREFS but didn’t see anything for version - I knew it had to be there somewhere - will try again over lunch....

My plan for now is to run the left L1, Nord and iPad on a different circuit than the right L1 and TS4 (with both still digitally connected).   If that fails, I’m going to use the power adapter and go with the balanced TRS cables, and if that fails - I’ll return it for repair/replacement.   

Once this is sorted - I do have to say - one L1 sounded great - stereo is just unbelievably more great 🙂 

Thanks again for all your insights!

steve

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

So by way of update.  

First - the firmware, even on my brand new TS4, was not the most current.  So I updated it.  

Second - I put the left LS1, the Nord Grand and iPad on a separate circuit.  

Played for about 2 hours with no troubles.  I don’t know whether the problem is gone or solved - I’m probably going to worry until it’s several months free of error.  And if it IS fixed, I don’t know if it was the firmware of second circuit.  Either way - if it holds up - I just can’t describe how amazing it is to do this in stereo!   

Very much appreciate your help and insights ST!  Have a great weekend,

steve

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Steve,

We can't know how long your T4S was in the distribution chain before you got it.  It's good that you've got things updated now.  In case you're wondering, there have been no firmware updates for the L1 Model 1S systems.

You can try moving everything back to one AC circuit to see it that causes the problem to resurface.

I glad you're enjoying running in stereo. It's nice isn't it.

ST