Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCaugust
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

T4S shutting off in heat

HI everyone,

wanted to see if anyone has dealt with my issue as this was the first time experiencing it. I have a model 2 with B2 and a T4S that I run using the tonematch cable. My band played an outdoor gig the other night and after setting up, both the power base and the T4S were sitting in the sun for a bit (maybe 40 minutes). It was pretty hot, close to 90, in western Pennsylvania. 

As we prepared to play I noticed my T4S had powered off. The power stand was still on with blue light, but the T4S has shut down. Flipping the switch off and on did nothing. I had to power down the whole system, wait for a bit, and then power everything back on. Then, sure enough, the T4S shut itself off again.

i moved the T4S into the shade and let it cool down...powered everything back on and it stayed on (for a bit) then at the end of a song shut itself off again. Didn’t know what to do so I put a towel over back of the power stand where power/tonematch/sub cables connect. The power stand was still in the sun as I did not have an option of putting it in the shade. After cycling power off and on another time, the T4S decided to stay on for the rest of the show. It was also getting less hot and sunny at this point.

so, after the long description, can anyone give me any info as to what might have been going on. Was the T4S overheating and powering itself off? Was the power base over heating and powering the T4S off? Isn’t there a fan within the power base to keep it running cool? Seems strange because when I used to run powered EV EKX mains, I could put the out in the sun all day and have no issue.

also, my other band mates and an L1 1s and T1 that had no issue. There 1s was getting a little less sun, but not much of a difference.

any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Harry@SoundEvents
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Re: T4S shutting off in heat

For summer outdoor events I generally bring a few small  a.c. fans to keep air flowing over my gear, also use a usb fan cooled laptop stand. Seems to help

jaswrx
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 24, 2011

Re: T4S shutting off in heat

Have you tried running the T4s via power cable.  Might run more efficient. 

I have had mine in direct sunlight for hours and have not had an issue. 

Speaking of EV, I used my T4s with EV ELXs and the ELX's overheated, but the T4s kept going.

Try using the power cable...