Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCaugust
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

T4s Issues

Hello, 

During our last 2 gigs, I have experienced 2 different issues with the T4s. First off, I had an Issue where the T4s was unable to stay on (using tonematch cable) at the beginning of a show. If I moved the cable it would restart. I figured there could be an issue with the cable, so I grabbed a different ethercon cable and all was well. Along the same lines, during setup of the following gig, I plugged in the T4s (with the cable that was working) and there was no sound going to the L1 model 2. Trim levels were showing signal input, but nothing was coming out of the tower...I tested all channels including aux 5/6. I switched the ethercon cable (back to the one that wouldn't work during the previous show) and everything worked perfectly. This is troubling because I feel as though I could be in trouble at any moment when I show up to a gig.

The second issue is that channel 2 of the T4S has consistent noise even with no input. Every time I power on the T4s, the trim lights up solid green for about 10 seconds (only on channel 2). Eventually the light goes off and responds normally to signal input, but with a microphone plugged in I am noticing a lot of extra noise on that specific channel. I have tried cable and microphone changes but the problem consistently exists only on channel 2.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Dylan

8 REPLIES 8
Rockerduck
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 2, 2018

Re: T4s Issues

The T4 frustrated me on one  band gig. So I bought a Mackie Profx 12v2 mixer and solved my problems.

BluBoy55
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

I own a T4s, and i will get noise if i plug a dynamic microphone into any channel with the phantom power button on! Beware only use phantom power with condenser microphones plugged in!

DCaugust
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

Thanks for the replies!

Donald, I really like the tonematch cable idea where I don't have to worry about a power cable and a signal cable, but if it isn't reliable I might bring my Presonus 16r back into the mix. 

Bluwee55, I only use condenser microphones for vocals. The interesting thing is that the noise (signal light lighting green) happens right when I turn on the T4s with no input plugged in. And this only happens on channel 2, which in turn is the channel that is noisy once everything IS plugged in as well.

Rockerduck
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 2, 2018

I used to try a cut out the amount of cables, but I figured just one multi power strip takes care of all my power needs; might as well plug in the mixer too.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Dylan,

I'm sorry the T4S has let you down like this.

Dcaugust posted:

Hello, 

During our last 2 gigs, I have experienced 2 different issues with the T4s. First off, I had an Issue where the T4s was unable to stay on (using tonematch cable) at the beginning of a show. If I moved the cable it would restart. I figured there could be an issue with the cable, so I grabbed a different ethercon cable and all was well. Along the same lines, during setup of the following gig, I plugged in the T4s (with the cable that was working) and there was no sound going to the L1 model 2. Trim levels were showing signal input, but nothing was coming out of the tower...I tested all channels including aux 5/6. I switched the ethercon cable (back to the one that wouldn't work during the previous show) and everything worked perfectly. This is troubling because I feel as though I could be in trouble at any moment when I show up to a gig.

This sounds like a physical issue with the ethercon connector on the T4S. 

The second issue is that channel 2 of the T4S has consistent noise even with no input. Every time I power on the T4s, the trim lights up solid green for about 10 seconds (only on channel 2). Eventually the light goes off and responds normally to signal input, but with a microphone plugged in I am noticing a lot of extra noise on that specific channel. I have tried cable and microphone changes but the problem consistently exists only on channel 2.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Dylan

Let's try a couple of things before calling Bose Support. They will ask you to try these steps, so you want to do them before you call.

If nothing improves, please call Bose Support. Your T4S should be under warranty.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions

Thanks,

ST

DCaugust
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

Will do, ST! Thanks!

Dave_Hazel
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

Hi Dylan, it seems I've had a similar experience. I was all set-up for a gig when it came about that I had time for one more sound check, that in hindsight was a life-saver because after about 15 seconds into a song the Bose system crashed! With all sound lost, I looked at the T4S to see all of its lights flicking rapidly on then off, then it stayed off.

I switched the whole system off to re-boot and got a repeat of the problem. It worked for about 15 seconds, flickered on and off a few times then stayed off.

At this time the T4S was being powered via the CAT5 from the base stand. Lucky for me, I had a separate (official Bose) power supply so I swapped over to that and it solved the problem, at least I was able to do the gig.

Fact is, I bought this Bose L1 S1 B2 on faith... the Bose reputation! I bought it for the convenience of its small size, easy to transport, and minimal cable requirements... it's a real shame that it is so let down by what I believe are school-boy design errors, cheap components and stretching limits to the limit such as the mixer power supply!

The 'bass level' selector switch on the B2 is totally unreliable and can cause the system to re-boot unexpectedly (unless it is left set on medium). The gain control on the analogue input to the power stand is noisy and has dead spots (in some positions there is no sound at all), and as we know powering the T4S via the CAT5 cable can be unreliable.

Bose effectively admit this by stating that the T8S cannot be powered via the power stand CAT5 method. REALLY, it's already so close to the limit that it cannot cope with the power requirements of 4 extra channels! If these 4 extra channels on the T8S require more than 100 milliamps then I'm inclined to think the circuit design is worse than I might otherwise have thought it was!

Anyway Dylan, I wish you luck resolving the issues you're experiencing. My Bose system will either end up on Ebay or the scrapyard as it's proving to be unreliable and more trouble than it's worth! 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Dave Hazel.

I'm sorry you are having these poor experiences with the T4S and B2.

Are you working with Bose Support? The T4S is definitely under warranty and in or out of warranty, they can help with the B2 and L1 Model 1S Power Stand.

Bose Support UK
+44 1634 224 288
Mon - Fri: 09:00-18:30,
Sat 09:00-17:00 GMT
Or write
technical_support_uk@bose.com

I would call.

ST