Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superjazzman1234
Contributor
Registered since

May 31, 2018

T8 noise on outputs

We bought two T8 mixers and we have been using one of them at numerous gigs so far and we like it a lot. Both have the same symptoms I will describe. Did anyone notice that the main outputs either XLR or 1/4 has a lot of white static noise on those lines?  Set it up link this:  With the T8 master volume all the way down, all channels muted and the output of the T8 plugged into an external amp or powered speaker, no matter what type (tried on th S1, L1, and several others with same results), you turn up the input channel volume on the powered speaker/amp side and there is unusually high “static white hissing noise” coming down the line from the T8. It’s louder on the XLR than the 1/4 output.  I compared it with other mixers I have around, Yamaha, Mackie and Beringer and those mixer outputs are very quiet.  Not sure what to make of this. 

26 REPLIES 26
Singsongwriter
Registered since

Jun 19, 2018

Re: T8 noise on outputs

Thats not good.  I was thinking of buying one also.  

Singsongwriter
Registered since

Jun 19, 2018

Thats not good.  Hmm...I was thinking about buying one too.   Maybe a bad cord??

Phil_T_Williams
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

What have you got plugged into the inputs

superjazzman1234
Contributor
Registered since

May 31, 2018

Nope.  Tried different cords, different powered speakers, different amps and combinations. it does it with both T8 mixers we have.  The noise is coming from the output of the T8 for sure.   Don,t get me wrong, we love this mixer and used it on 30+ gigs so far.   This is something you wouldn’t notice unless you crank the input level of your amp or powered speaker.  The noise is unusually high in comparison to other pro audio mixers we have around.  If you use more level out from the T8 master and less level on the input of your amp/powered speaker it wouldn’t be noticeable.  

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Superjazzman1234,

Thanks for writing and asking about this.

In the video you've the the Channel 2 volume control well above 12:00 and you turn it up from there.  If you have a signal running through the ToneMatch mixer running around 0 db to +6 dB on the output meters, you'll find the S1 Pro will clip below the volume you've shown us in the video.

I'll do some testing here and come back to this discussion.

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Superjazzman1234,

I just went did this experiment using best practices for gain staging from the source through to the output.

Using USB A Playback with some contemporary tracks

• Set the track level to 100%
  • Set the T8S Master, so the output meters were bouncing between
    0 dB to +6dB (this happens at about 1:00 o'clock on the Master Output)
  • Connected the T8S Right Output to an S1 Pro Channel 1 Input using a 1/4"Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable
    • Reverb off
    • Bass 12:00 o'clock
    • Treble  12:00 o'clock
  • When I bring up the volume, I hit the maximum before clipping at about 11:00 o'clock
  • When I pause the music playback, there is a little hiss, but you have to be directly on-axis within 4 feet to hear it.  If I have any sound coming through the T8S, it masks the hiss.

Please try this at your end and let us know what you hear.

Thanks,

ST

superjazzman1234
Contributor
Registered since

May 31, 2018

Just to be clear, this noise is without any audio and the master on the T8 all the way down to zero.  This is just noise coming up the line output with no audio.  The output line is noisy.  We duplicated it with a different T8 and a series of different amps and powered speakers.  The noise is there when you turn the input level on the amp/powered speaker.   Try it and you will see what I mean. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Superjazzman1234,

I see what you mean.

I can replicate the results in your video and as you described above.

This doesn't demonstrate a fault with the system. When you turn down the amplifier at the end of the chain to a level you would use with a signal present, the noise is almost inaudible.

Is the noise preventing you from using the T8S?

ST

superjazzman1234
Contributor
Registered since

May 31, 2018

Our T8 is a workhorse and is being used on gigs several times a week This is not a problem in the operational use of the mixer. I just thought it was kind of unusual that great mixer like the T8 was generating so much noise in this situation when in many of our test comparisons the inferior mixers were very quiet.