Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bertman1
Registered since

Mar 12, 2018

Re: T8 noise on outputs

Superjazzman1234 posted:

Our T8 is a workhorse and is being used on gigs several times a week This is not a problem in the operational use of the mixer. I just thought it was kind of unusual that great mixer like the T8 was generating so much noise in this situation when in many of our test comparisons the inferior mixers were very quiet. 

That meets my experience. Compared to my pretty old Yamaha my T8 is more noisy (in combination with 2 L1 compacts). I gonna try to handle this by experimenting with the relation of mixer output an the volume control of the L1 compacts. Maybe there is a better sweet spot. I will report any news.

Lorenzo1
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Superjazzman1234 posted:

We bought two T8 mixers and we have been using one of them at numerous gigs so far and we like it a lot. Both have the same symptoms I will describe. Did anyone notice that the main outputs either XLR or 1/4 has a lot of white static noise on those lines?  Set it up link this:  With the T8 master volume all the way down, all channels muted and the output of the T8 plugged into an external amp or powered speaker, no matter what type (tried on th S1, L1, and several others with same results), you turn up the input channel volume on the powered speaker/amp side and there is unusually high “static white hissing noise” coming down the line from the T8. It’s louder on the XLR than the 1/4 output.  I compared it with other mixers I have around, Yamaha, Mackie and Beringer and those mixer outputs are very quiet.  Not sure what to make of this. 

I have the same issue. The output lines are very noise (compared to t1 lines, for example).

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Lorenzo,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community. Thank you for joining us.

Please update you firmware (unless you're already at 1.1.4).

T4S T8S Firmware Update Instructions

Lorenzo posted

I have the same issue. The output lines are very noise (compared to t1 lines, for example).

The output of the T8S has a much higher signal output than the T1.  If you use the same settings on the T8S as the T1, the output will be much louder (and with it, the background noise level). You can turn down the Master Volume to compensate. I almost never have to turn up the Master Volume above 11:00 o'clock.

ST

Spyderfingers@yahoo.com
Participant
Registered since

May 31, 2019

Has this been solved? I have the same issue. 

All volume is set at 0 and still noise coming through house PA. The T8S is completely unusable in a quiet church environment. 

Help 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

HI StepDad007.

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Welcome.

StepDad007 posted:

Has this been solved? I have the same issue. 

All volume is set at 0 and still noise coming through house PA. The T8S is completely unusable in a quiet church environment. 

Help 

Please tell us more about how you have things connected.

• What are you using for a powered loudspeaker?
    • a Bose L1 powered loudspeaker?
    • something different? Please be specific with a link to the owner's guide.
  • What output(s) are you using the T8S?
  • What kind of cable are you using from the T8S to the powered loudspeaker?
    • XLR
    • 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve 
    • 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve
  • How long is the cable?
  • Are the T8S and the next device in the signal chain (powered loudspeaker of amplifer) connected to the same AC power source?

Have you updated your T8S to the latest firmware?

T4S/T8S Firmware Update Instructions 

ST

432HZ
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Please help...

I have this very same concerning issue with the T4S. Its noisy when the PA gain is above 12 o’clock. I acknowledge the T4S/T8S have more output than a T1, but still this noise is not hiss, it sounds more like dirty white noise. No matter if there are no inputs connected, all channel muted, and the master volume of the mixer is zero, the signal from my T4S is undeniably noisy. Even after a firmware reinstall and reset, it's still apparent. I hoped it was only my unit, so I demo’d a T4S in the local music shop....same noise. However, when using the RJ45 (Cat 5) as audio out to a L1 system the noise isn’t apparent. Now seeing the video in the first post, I’m certain there’s something consistent happening. The mixer is still functional, but I can’t push the volume on the PA without introducing the noise. The only solution I have so far is to run the PA volume lower, but push the T4S master output to max. Again, let me reiterate, the noise I’m trying to eliminate is in the latent signal before increasing the mixer output. I suspect there is a grounding issue in the mixer's 1/4” outputs (also hearing it in the aux 1 and 2 outputs). 

On another topic....Also, why does the headphone outs not have the same hi-fi quality as the main outputs? Has anyone else noticed this ?

Cheers 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi obsidian,

Thanks for writing.

obsidian posted:

Please help...

I have this very same concerning issue with the T4S. Its noisy when the PA gain is above 12 o’clock.

What PA are you using?

• If it's not a Bose system, please give us a link to the owners manual online
  • How are you connecting it? (What kind of cables)

I acknowledge the T4S/T8S have more output than a T1, but still this noise is not hiss, it sounds more like dirty white noise. No matter if there are no inputs connected, all channel muted, and the master volume of the mixer is zero, the signal from my T4S is undeniably noisy. Even after a firmware reinstall and reset, it's still apparent. I hoped it was only my unit, so I demo’d a T4S in the local music shop....same noise. However, when using the RJ45 (Cat 5) as audio out to a L1 system the noise isn’t apparent. Now seeing the video in the first post, I’m certain there’s something consistent happening. The mixer is still functional, but I can’t push the volume on the PA without introducing the noise. The only solution I have so far is to run the PA volume lower, but push the T4S master output to max. Again, let me reiterate, the noise I’m trying to eliminate is in the latent signal before increasing the mixer output. I suspect there is a grounding issue in the mixer's 1/4” outputs (also hearing it in the aux 1 and 2 outputs). 

On another topic....Also, why does the headphone outs not have the same hi-fi quality as the main outputs? Has anyone else noticed this ?

I haven't noticed this - are you connecting to headphones or some other device.

Cheers 

ST

432HZ
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Hi ST,

I’m using a S1 Pro PA. Connected via TRS 1/4”. 

For the headphones - I’m using some Sennheiser HD25, with a stereo 1/8” to 1/4” plug. 

Thanks

432HZ
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Here’s what I’m hearing. The S1 Pro itself is quiet. When using the T4S there is noise present in the line, even when the T4S output is set to zero. Its not the cable....I’ve tried many different cables and brands. 

432HZ
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Superjazzman1234 posted:

Nope.  Tried different cords, different powered speakers, different amps and combinations. it does it with both T8 mixers we have.  The noise is coming from the output of the T8 for sure.   Don,t get me wrong, we love this mixer and used it on 30+ gigs so far.   This is something you wouldn’t notice unless you crank the input level of your amp or powered speaker.  The noise is unusually high in comparison to other pro audio mixers we have around.  If you use more level out from the T8 master and less level on the input of your amp/powered speaker it wouldn’t be noticeable.  

I’m facing the same scenario, and need to implement the same workaround.