Registered since

Apr 12, 2018

T8S with One L1 Model II?

Hello! New to the forum. Hoping to find some answers!

Recently, my bandmate and I purchased an L1 Model 2, B2 and a T4S mixer. It sounds great, but we needed more input capacity, so we have exchanged it and pre-ordered the T8S. However, I just read in the manual that the Ethercon port is NOT compatible with the L1 system/ Mono Ethercon connection like the T4S. Is it possible to use the T8S with a single L1 Model II? Can you just connect one of the XLR outs to the TRS input on the base of the L1? Will there be a drop in audio quality? Are there any other considerations with this method?

For reference - we will be playing acoustic gigs with this system. We work almost every weekend and didn't want to lug around a full PA we normally use in a full band situation. In our acoustic setup, we have two vocals, two acoustics and a single electric guitar which I play through two amps (Wet Dry). I switch between acoustic and electric, so we will only ever be using 5 channels at any given time with no bass or percussion. I also use an In-Ear rig. My hope was to use the T8 for this setup and also leverage the 4 outputs for setting up in-ear monitor mixes. Hoping this will work! The portability of this rig is to die for. (2 15" subs, Mains, Monitors, Amp rigs, Board rig, flight case, etc. etc..... ALL GONE!!!!)

Thanks,

John

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: T8S with One L1 Model II?

Hi John,

Jofen posted:

Hello! New to the forum. Hoping to find some answers!

Recently, my bandmate and I purchased an L1 Model 2, B2 and a T4S mixer. It sounds great, but we needed more input capacity, so we have exchanged it and pre-ordered the T8S.

Congratulations!

However, I just read in the manual that the Ethercon port is NOT compatible with the L1 system/ Mono Ethercon connection like the T4S. Is it possible to use the T8S with a single L1 Model II?

Yes!

Can you just connect one of the XLR outs to the TRS input on the base of the L1?

Yes, but you can use a 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable too, and the might be simpler to find.

Will there be a drop in audio quality?

No. The T8S was engineered to work with the L1® Model II this way.

Are there any other considerations with this method?

You will probably set the Analog Input trim on the Model II Power Stand  to 10:00 o'clock. Fine-tune from there.

For reference - we will be playing acoustic gigs with this system. We work almost every weekend and didn't want to lug around a full PA we normally use in a full band situation.

I can completely relate.

In our acoustic setup, we have two vocals, two acoustics and a single electric guitar which I play through two amps (Wet Dry). I switch between acoustic and electric, so we will only ever be using 5 channels at any given time with no bass or percussion. I also use an In-Ear rig. My hope was to use the T8 for this setup and also leverage the 4 outputs for setting up in-ear monitor mixes. Hoping this will work! The portability of this rig is to die for. (2 15" subs, Mains, Monitors, Amp rigs, Board rig, flight case, etc. etc..... ALL GONE!!!!)

Thanks,

John

You may find you can drop the In-Ear rig if you put the L1® behind you.  Imagine that, being able to be in the same sonic space as the audience.

Does that help?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2018

Thank you for the reply!

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 19, 2018

Hello, sorry for my english (i'm french).

I have one T8S and one L1 model II B2. What is the better way to connect this 2 elements?

xlrf/ TRS or jack TRS/TRS?

is it the same quality? 

Thank's

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi baboff,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Congratulations on getting you T8S.

baboff posted:

Hello, sorry for my english (i'm french).

I understand your English fine.

I have one T8S and one L1 model II B2. What is the better way to connect this 2 elements?

xlrf/ TRS or jack TRS/TRS?

is it the same quality? 

You get the same quality either way. 

Thank's

You're welcome!

ST