Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: T8S with TC Helicon Voice Live 3 Digital Noise/Feedback Loud and BAD!!!

Moon Dog posted:

..I am on an island out here. 

Did someone finally find some Ocean Front Property in Arizona.  I thought Strait was kidding.

Dave_Hazel
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

I wondered about RF or some radiation of some sort based on you saying 'everything is fine until the last mic is plugged in'. Made me wonder if the 'plugging the mic in' created an unwanted antenna. Or perhaps it is, have you considered that another device in your system could be generating air-born or ground-loop noise?

Actually had that sort of problem a few days ago... my son had connected a Steinburg DAC to his laptop via USB. The DAC line out was connect UN-balanced to a pair of Mackie active monitors. The result was processor noise from the PC breaking through. I solved the problem by changing the line cables for non-grounded balanced cables and the problem was totally resolved.

I'd guess you've tried breaking/lifting screen grounds? You might try connecting the offending mic (assuming its not phantom powered) with a naked un-screened twisted pair. Where a screen exists it should be connected at one end at least, left fully floating it might cause problems that wouldn't exist if the screen didn't exist at all. Where phantom power is not required, balanced lines can run on an un-screened twisted pair. 

Forgive me if I've stated or suggested anything that is otherwise obvious to you, just thought chucking in some 'thinking out loud' might help.

Moon Dog
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Dave Hazel posted:

I wondered about RF or some radiation of some sort based on you saying 'everything is fine until the last mic is plugged in'. Made me wonder if the 'plugging the mic in' created an unwanted antenna. Or perhaps it is, have you considered that another device in your system could be generating air-born or ground-loop noise?

Actually had that sort of problem a few days ago... my son had connected a Steinburg DAC to his laptop via USB. The DAC line out was connect UN-balanced to a pair of Mackie active monitors. The result was processor noise from the PC breaking through. I solved the problem by changing the line cables for non-grounded balanced cables and the problem was totally resolved.

I'd guess you've tried breaking/lifting screen grounds? You might try connecting the offending mic (assuming its not phantom powered) with a naked un-screened twisted pair. Where a screen exists it should be connected at one end at least, left fully floating it might cause problems that wouldn't exist if the screen didn't exist at all. Where phantom power is not required, balanced lines can run on an un-screened twisted pair. 

Forgive me if I've stated or suggested anything that is otherwise obvious to you, just thought chucking in some 'thinking out loud' might help.

Thanks all ideas are welcome at this point....I have solved many issues in my day but this one has me gobsmacked.....

I have experienced..."THE NOISE" with many different mics, both phantom powered and not and, I also experienced this with my Kemper line out plugged direct into a channel. 

I have also plugged things into different channels with different XLR cables same intermittent result...until I unplug the additional XLR cable that is NOT plugged into my TC Helicon, does the issue resolve itself. 

One of my suspicions is there is some interaction with the TC Helicon Voice Live 3 and the Bose T8S....but at this point I am grasping at straws....

Moon Dog

Dave_Hazel
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

One other thought then based on your suspicion the the TC might be interacting with the T8s .... what about a bit of phase inversion? Swap the signal pair into the TC, still clutching at straws but you never know.

Dave_Hazel
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

My wife don't half come out with 'em at times. I'm sat here and said to my wife, "Poor bloke (Moon Dog) he's got an unwanted noise problem on his setup that he's been trying to resolve for some weeks! Every thing is fine until he plugs in the last microphone" she said, "Has he tried shooting the singer?"  Any more jokes like that, don't worry, I'll shoot her myself LOL.

Moon Dog
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

ST...I'm back....

I did a Facebook Live show last night and my T8S failed me yet again....The Digital Noise is back with a vengeance. In the middle of the Live Stream I had to trade out my T8S for my T4s....My T4S has been bulletproof. The T8S continues to give me so much trouble. Today I did yet another reinstall of V1.1.4 and a Factory Reset...Played a song Digital Noise so loud makes you jump. I am at my wits end. 

Reading this post, do you think it is possible that the Para EQ is the culprit....I have my acoustic guitar really Para EQ'd.....

At this point I have a $900 paper weight.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Moon Dog,

I'm sorry you're still having a problem with the T8S.

Moon Dog posted:

ST...I'm back....

I did a Facebook Live show last night and my T8S failed me yet again....The Digital Noise is back with a vengeance. In the middle of the Live Stream I had to trade out my T8S for my T4s....My T4S has been bulletproof. The T8S continues to give me so much trouble. Today I did yet another reinstall of V1.1.4 and a Factory Reset...Played a song Digital Noise so loud makes you jump. I am at my wits end. 

Reading this post, do you think it is possible that the Para EQ is the culprit....I have my acoustic guitar really Para EQ'd.....

Do you have the same Para EQ settings for the acoustic guitar in the T4S?

At this point I have a $900 paper weight.

If all the settings are the same in the T4S and the T8S, all I can suggest is to contact Bose Support at one of the links below.

I'm sorry there aren't better options right now.

ST

From Bose: TO OUR CUSTOMERS

While our global call centers are facing disruptions and delays, you can still get 24-hour service for returns, exchanges or repairs by following one of the links below.

Bose Product and Technical Support - North America

Other Regions

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi Moon Dog

I know it is difficult to isolate in memory each event, but is it possible there is a dying battery somewhere in the system.

I recall having a seldom used guitar make a similar noise, which made it even more seldom used, until I finally thought to replace the battery. What I thought was a failing pickup worked proper again.

O.. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Moon Dog,

When you connect the T8S to your Model II Power Stand - the Analog Input Trim should be at 9:00 o'clock.

L1 Model II Analog Input for T4S T8S.png

Where do you have yours set?

ST

Moon Dog
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 18, 2013

Hello ST and friends....Its Moon Dog. My saga continues....here is the latest. First thanks to Bose they reached out to me and did an exchange for my mixer. So this is my 3rd T8S. 

Remember I have a T4S and everything setup/presets the same as the T8S and I don't have any problem with noise. So the exact same setup/presets as I use with the T8S. 

First thing on my new mixer I updated the firmware and did a Factory reset/reboot. 

I did not import any settings. 

I manually setup the mixer:

Right Pan all Channels

Set some para EQ on Channel 3 for my acoustic

Set some Compression on Channel 4 for my Lead Vox.

Tonematch 1, 2, 3 for DJ/ High Level Music

Tonematch 4 Neumann KMS105 (Phantom Powered by VoiceLive 3)

XLR Out Right Channel Analog Input set to 9 Oclock

4 mics plugged into channels 5, 6, 7, 8 Ts8 Phantom power on

Played and BOOM Digital Noise is still here....OMG. 

I am going to continue testing today....I am going to figure this out. 

Moon Dog.