Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liljequist
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2021

T8s mixer

I just bought a T8S mixer and I am lost.

For equipment I have a l1 compact, a rockville rpm109 and some older pa speakers. 
Im not sure what to do. 

1.  Should I get powered speakers?

2. Run thu my rockville rpm109?

2. run thru l1 compact?

I’m just looking for the best sound for me .

I mostly play smaller venues but l  do play outside where the crowd noises tend to be more obstructive.

I am also wondering if maybe I made a wrong choice in getting the T8S.

I have thought about retuning it and getting another L1 compact it may be a T1.
i’m just looking for some type of sense of direction

I play acoustic and blues Electric thanks for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Re: T8s mixer

Author Accepted Answer selected by Liljequist

Hello again Liljequist,

The T8s is a great mixer, although it sounds like the T4s might have been just as good for you -- it depends on how many inputs you might ever use.  If it's only ever going to be you with a mic and 2 guitars, the T4s would suffice.  However, if you add anything else (like a second singer with another guitar, porchboard bass, backing tracks, etc.) you'll be able to accommodate them with the T8s.

Now, for connections:

If you're using the L1 Compact by itself, I would run your inputs to the T8s, pan them all right to run mono, and run a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable from the T8s 1/4" "R" Main out to channel 2 on the Compact.  Adjust all your T8s settings to your musical taste, and save that as a scene on the T8s.  Maybe call it "One Compact Mono".

If you want to use the Rockwell RPM109 as an amplifier to drive your passive PA speakers, you can run either mono or stereo.

• To run mono to the RPM109, just run the same 1/4" TRS cable you ran to the Compact to one of the channels on RPM109.  Leave the RPM109's channel settings flat, and adjust your EQ and effects on the T8s (since the PA speakers will sound different than your Compact.)  Once satisfied with the sound, save this as a new, different scene, maybe "RPM109 Mono".
  • To run stereo (although that's usually not as important for a solo performer as it might be for a DJ) run two 1/4" TRS to 1/4"TRS cables from the T8s 1/4" R & L Main outs to the AUX IN jacks on the RPM109.  You'll use the AUX IN dial to adjust the amount of signal coming into the RPM109.  Adjust your T8s settings (or recall your "One Compact Mono" scene) but pan your channels left, center or right, depending on whether (or how much) you want any stereo separation of singers, instruments, tracks, etc.  Make any further changes and save this as a new, different scene, maybe "RPM109 Stereo".

If you end up getting a second L1 Compact, follow these same techniques, use both R & L 1/4" main outs, save a "Two Compact Stereo" scene.  If you get conventional powered speakers, bypassing the RPM109, follow the same techniques.

If you want to run the Compact and the RPM109 together for more side-to-side  or remote area coverage, I recommend running mono by panning all your inputs center.  Then run one 1/4" TRS cable from the T8s right Main out to the Compact, and one 1/4" TRS cable from the T8s left Main out to the Line input on a channel on the RPM109.  Adjust your settings to taste using the Compact.  If the speakers attached to the RPM109 need adjustment, do those changes on the RPM109's control panel.

You have lots of options that can cover nearly any scenario you want.  I've tried to highlight your main options, and hope I haven't confused you with too much information.  I realize I do get kind of wordy, but I try to offer complete explanations. 😄  Just try each scenario one at a time while you become familiar with the T8s.  I think you'll find it to be a very powerful mixer!

Does that help?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gsjeffrey
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2021

I run my T8S through a Bose L2 system and it sounds amazing.  Your L1 would be a good choice.

Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Author Accepted Answer selected by Liljequist

Hello again Liljequist,

The T8s is a great mixer, although it sounds like the T4s might have been just as good for you -- it depends on how many inputs you might ever use.  If it's only ever going to be you with a mic and 2 guitars, the T4s would suffice.  However, if you add anything else (like a second singer with another guitar, porchboard bass, backing tracks, etc.) you'll be able to accommodate them with the T8s.

Now, for connections:

If you're using the L1 Compact by itself, I would run your inputs to the T8s, pan them all right to run mono, and run a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable from the T8s 1/4" "R" Main out to channel 2 on the Compact.  Adjust all your T8s settings to your musical taste, and save that as a scene on the T8s.  Maybe call it "One Compact Mono".

If you want to use the Rockwell RPM109 as an amplifier to drive your passive PA speakers, you can run either mono or stereo.

• To run mono to the RPM109, just run the same 1/4" TRS cable you ran to the Compact to one of the channels on RPM109.  Leave the RPM109's channel settings flat, and adjust your EQ and effects on the T8s (since the PA speakers will sound different than your Compact.)  Once satisfied with the sound, save this as a new, different scene, maybe "RPM109 Mono".
  • To run stereo (although that's usually not as important for a solo performer as it might be for a DJ) run two 1/4" TRS to 1/4"TRS cables from the T8s 1/4" R & L Main outs to the AUX IN jacks on the RPM109.  You'll use the AUX IN dial to adjust the amount of signal coming into the RPM109.  Adjust your T8s settings (or recall your "One Compact Mono" scene) but pan your channels left, center or right, depending on whether (or how much) you want any stereo separation of singers, instruments, tracks, etc.  Make any further changes and save this as a new, different scene, maybe "RPM109 Stereo".

If you end up getting a second L1 Compact, follow these same techniques, use both R & L 1/4" main outs, save a "Two Compact Stereo" scene.  If you get conventional powered speakers, bypassing the RPM109, follow the same techniques.

If you want to run the Compact and the RPM109 together for more side-to-side  or remote area coverage, I recommend running mono by panning all your inputs center.  Then run one 1/4" TRS cable from the T8s right Main out to the Compact, and one 1/4" TRS cable from the T8s left Main out to the Line input on a channel on the RPM109.  Adjust your settings to taste using the Compact.  If the speakers attached to the RPM109 need adjustment, do those changes on the RPM109's control panel.

You have lots of options that can cover nearly any scenario you want.  I've tried to highlight your main options, and hope I haven't confused you with too much information.  I realize I do get kind of wordy, but I try to offer complete explanations. 😄  Just try each scenario one at a time while you become familiar with the T8s.  I think you'll find it to be a very powerful mixer!

Does that help?

View solution in original post

Liljequist
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2021

Good to hear thank you