cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

TC-Helicon VoiceLive2

New discussion for Inna Rude Mood

TC-Helicon VoiceLive2
20 REPLIES 20
innarudemood
Registered since

Oct 2, 2004

Re: TC-Helicon VoiceLive2

Just bought one Friday and then used it for two small club gigs over the weekend. Didn't explore all of it's capabilities but even just the basic parameters of "Tone" and "Pitch" proved excellent for use with the Bose system. The Tone's Adaptive Noise Gate allowed me to finally crank my vocals high enough to be heard above a loud crowd once they filled the space immediately in front of the band in a tight club during the third set. My voice doesn't have much natural presence and maybe I could never program the ToneMatch's noise gate well enough, but I'd grown accustomed to turning up the volume and then always having to stand between the Bose unit and my mic to deter feedback even when using an Audix OM5 and OM7. This time, I just put the ToneMatch flat and let the Voicelive 2 do the rest. It's adaptive shape EQ, adaptive compression, de-ess and adaptive gate worked great on the default settings. Only thing I changed was to increase the shape EQ from 50% to 60% so my vocals cut through the mix better. I couldn't believe how much volume I was getting without feedback and noticed that the noise gate automatically adjusted as necessary to shut off my mic whenever I wasn't singing (ie, blank trim signal LED), leaving me free to move around more when I played guitar leads. Also, the default "pitch" control setting got me in more accurate tune on the lowest vocal notes where I can drift off like on La Grange. I may never even read the manual for all the harmony and doubling stuff, but I'm wondering now whether it can control feedback as well with my favorite mic (Neumann KMS105) that I've given up using except for outdoor gigs when I can get far enough away from my Bose unit. This evening I did delve into the delay and reverb effects a little and was pleased with each's ducking parameter that made the lead vocal retain clarity even with the effect engaged, as that has always been the saving grace of singing through the Bose system as compared to a traditional system. The Voicelive 2 unit is a bit pricey but maybe Bose engineers can eventually program some of this adaptive control capability into the ToneMatch as well. The older I get, the more I appreciate things that just work excellently with simple control.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Inna Rude Mood,

Thanks for your insights into this new vocal processor. I am intrigued by your comments about the KMS 105. This has been my main microphone for nearly five years with the L1® and I have not found it to be any more prone to feedback than anything else I have used. But I am always right on top of it when I set the gain structure. If I do that then I have no issues with feedback. Anyway - I hope that you'll be able to get back into using yours the way you want indoors as well as out.

I have some challenges when, on occasion, I have to reach way down to sing at the bottom of my range. I do this mainly for special effects when singing with others doing mock bass harmonies. That is where I really need the help with pitch. Do you think the VoiceLive2 could help with that?
Eric_sson
Collaborator
Registered since

May 28, 2009

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
.....I have some challenges when, on occasion, I have to reach way down to sing at the bottom of my range. I do this mainly for special effects when singing with others doing mock bass harmonies. That is where I really need the help with pitch. Do you think the VoiceLive2 could help with that?.....

Hi ST,

The VoiceLive 2 would be excellent for this it's definatley the best vocal processor out there at the moment for the gigging musician, the guitar effects are also excellent.

I've used TC products for my vocals for years now and just replaced my rack units (Voiceworks Plus and Voice Doubler) with the new VoiceLive 2 and although I don't use a lot of it's features it's still worth the money for it's sonic quality.
innarudemood
Registered since

Oct 2, 2004

Hi ST,

I've been gigging with the Bose equipment since first release and upgraded as new developments have occurred. I've read much of your advice on this forum over the years about avoiding feedback, trying all recommended mics and strategies.

My problem has always been when we play a small rock club with almost no stage and venue expectation of high volume. We end up pushing the limits of the system when trying to get the vocals above the overall din despite close proximity between mic and tower. It's amazing how loud the same size crowd can get once they've gotten a few hours of alcohol into their system and decided it's time to fill the dance floor. I set the gain structure as best I can, always sing with my lips touching the mic screen, and also adjust the ToneMatch's noise gate throughout the gig to avoid feedback as we compete with the increasing crowd noise. I've never been able to get the 105 at the same volume as the OM5 and then been able to leave the mic on while playing and not standing directly in front of the mic. At that volume, I always get feedback unless I mute the channel when not standing in front of mic. The strange thing about using the Voicelive 2 this past weekend was that I actually got my vocals so much louder than normal without any feedback, that everytime I sang near the end of the gig, my guitar's output from the same tower was attenuated in a very noticeable way. I'd never had that happen before.

I'm more of a guitar player who sings rather than a talented lead singer and found that a Voicetone Correct pedal helped my pitch tremendously, so the Voicelive 2 has the same capability plus alot more. It's definitely helped my pitch accuracy in lower registers. You could also get the same bass harmony result you seek by singing a note in your normal range and then have the octave below (or two) Harmony effect engaged with the "lead vocal mute" option selected (you would then only hear the lower bass note through the Bose). You seem like a person who can get the most out of technology, so I'm guessing you'd find ways to use the Voicelive 2 that would improve upon your current signal chain for vocals if you are only using the ToneMatch. The only question would be whether you thought the $800 price was worth it and that's a subjective question to be answered by individuals.
elranchodeluxe
Registered since

Nov 9, 2005

I've got one of these units and they are quite excellsnt. I'm wonding how you rig it into the T-1? Do you use te onboard guitar effects? Are you running from the VoiceLive2 into the T-1, or vice versa?

Inquireing minds want to know....
JFd
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 22, 2008

Bonjour El Rancho,
I have the TC Helicon Harmony G. I went for the simple connexion:
- Mic into Harmony G
- Guitar (Taylor 310CE) in Harmony G
- No effects on the guitar
- Guitar out into the effects and loop station, then into the T1
- No voice enhancement
- Mic out into the T1
- Harmonies sporadically, with the setting at 12 o'clock

There are other ways of connecting all these, but this simple way works well presently. I chose this setup because I use the T1 and one L1 Model II for a duo (2 guitars and 2 voices)

Have fun!

JFd
bdotson
Registered since

Jun 29, 2006

Hi Guys!
Just a quick note - I had a Voice Live (original model) as well as friend buying himself one too. BOTH units failed with the dreaded "F" error message where the unit continuously reboots itself every minute or so. Both were factory serviced (with about 3 months downtime mind you) and mine has since failed again. Two units and three failures. I liked the ounds I could get but reliability is a major problem. Look at the following:

here's some Harmony Central comments on reliability (the original unit has a 7.3 out of 20 responses):

"I got my first unit 3 years ago and the other one for 2 years now. I would buy another one for $400 max not more because you save money with out background singers but you know that it would last a continuous use (4 times per week) 1 year with no problem. I send mine for repairs and 2 weeks after the same problem came back so is in the closet."

"This is where this unit has the greatest weakness.I bought one that was defective right out of the box.It seems that when in preset mode it would after a few minutes swith itsel to mix mode.So I sent it back it took almost 6 weeks to get a new one.Guess what this one is 10 months old and it just started doing the same thing.Tha't **** on something that cost 600-700 dollars.If this is an ongoing problem wouldn't you think they would have done something to correct(ie: a recall of some sort)"

"I do think this product is very overpriced due mostly to it reliability factor.Not looking forward to sending this one back it will likely be gone for 4-6 weeks.That will be a total of 2-3 months down time in a year.Very frustrating !"

"ALERT - I've had two of these units go down and both are less than 7 months old! The unit was running at version 1.3 and I have checked the Internet for any other alerts about the unit. The technician doing the repairs commented that he has seen several with the no-power difficulty and that TC Helicon informed repaired shops (in my case Long and McQuade) about a simple ground patch. If that doesn't work (in my case it did not), then the unit needs to have a board replaced. It is an intermittent power/no power issue."

"The second loner model has developed a different problem with the edit function not working but looping back to the same patch (ie. you can't edit on the unit)."

"Obviously, I would have to say three failures in two units less than seven months in, is NOT good! It's not a cheap unit to buy ... who would buy two for one to be a back up? Not good at all here."

"Here's my biggest problem. I've only had the unit for six months, and it's starting to die. At my last three gigs, it's suddenly gone out. Sometimes now when I turn it on, I get heiroglyphic nonsense on the LCD screen, and none of the controls work. I've discovered if I kick it or drop it from about three inches, it starts working. Last night, it just started turning off."

The following are from a VoiceLive Users Group ( Voice Live Users Group ) - note that these people are FANS of the unit - if you click to this site, look how MANY posts about problems there are! Here are some excerpts:

"I have had my unit for a little over one year. In that time I have sent the unit to TC for repair due to the F malfunction TWICE. I am now on my THIRD attempt to get this thing repaired. I play every weekend and rely on this unit. It takes 1 -3 months to get it repaired and back to me and the repair only lasts 3 months. I am extremely frustrated... PS I am experencing the problem where it flashes from MIX to my program and back again which was not repaired by TC on either of its previous TWO visits to the repair dept. If this is a known problem to TC why isn't it being addressed when its in the shop."

"I think this is a design defect in VoiceLive.
Everyone can experience it if not now but will be in the future.
I had my VoiceLive for more than 3 years now and I thought I am the lucky guy who got the good hardware, but just last weekend, right before the concert, my VoiceLive was acting up, the MIX screen had strange characters coming in and out. it was at a time totally blank and no reaction when you hit on any key. after a few cool down and reset for an hour, it became normal again. I was really frustrated and relieved when it was working again, but god knows when this will happen again."

"wow..mines doin this too...i depend on this thing way too much..doesnt look promising...does voice live 2 have same problem? feel like i have to spend 800 for a backup unit.."

"Just got mine back from 2nd time for same problem. Out of warranty, paid for fix. Doing it again. I'm done with tc"

I'm not posting this to bash TC btw, just a heads up as these units are quite expensive ($800 range in USD) and I was surprised to have so much trouble, and then to find so many others online having identical problems. Though the sound is not quite as amazing, I have settled in on the Digitech Vocalists as a decent compromise. I actually find their harmonies a bit more realistic and the prices are certainly right. Mine has proved quite durable so far though it doesn't APPEAR anywhere near as sturdy as the TC product did. I venture a guess that the TC units have an inherent design weakness of some sort.

Just my (long) $.02 worth but if it saves you a couple hundred bucks and some aggravation, then good!
BBB
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2008

Hi. I still am considering the new Voicelive 2. The reviews you refer to are for the original Voicelive unit?. I am aware of some issues on the new units where a firmware update needed to be installed but have heard nothing but kudos for the Voicelive 2 on another forum. Curious if any other BOSE users are having issues.
Cheers!Brian
elranchodeluxe
Registered since

Nov 9, 2005

I've got one and have had no issues; though it currently resides in the basement and doesn't get heavy use....yet....

quote:
Originally posted by BrianBeveridge:
Hi. I still am considering the new Voicelive 2. The reviews you refer to are for the original Voicelive unit?. I am aware of some issues on the new units where a firmware update needed to be installed but have heard nothing but kudos for the Voicelive 2 on another forum. Curious if any other BOSE users are having issues.
Cheers!Brian