cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sweber96
Registered since

Jul 20, 2016

TRS w/L1 compact

I'm using the xlr outputs on a Yamaha MG10xu mixer to connect to the L1 Compact with a 1/4 inch TRS. For some reason the PAN control on the mixer gets no sound if placed in the center (equal amounts of L & R ). There is sound if you place the PAN in the L or the R position.

Does a TRS w/ the Bose L1 not wired to allow both signals from the mixer?

Is the problem more likely the mixer?
6 REPLIES 6
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: TRS w/L1 compact

Hi sweber96,

Thank you for joining the Forum. I'm glad that you joined us.

"Does a TRS w/ the Bose L1 not wired to allow both signals from the mixer?"

Basically: No. This is not unique to the L1® Compact, but can happen with any device that has a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve MONO BALANCED input.

The L1 Compact Channel 2 ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve input is MONO BALANCED. If you use a stereo signal with this input the left and right signals can cancel each other out. This is not a malfunction but an unfortunate side-effect of running a stereo signal into a MONO BALANCED input.

There are a couple of workarounds for this:
  • On the mixer: pan all the inputs to one side (e.g. Left), and then run the Left output to Compact Channel 2

• Use the Compact Channel 2 stereo inputs:
    RCA jacks
    or
    1/8 Tip-Ring-Sleeve

We have an article that describes the issue snd the workarounds in more detail.

Stereo Mixer to Mono L1®

-= please click the picture for more details =-
Does that help?

ST
sweber96
Registered since

Jul 20, 2016

Thank you for your clear explanation. I purchased a cable with female xlr to 1/4 inch mono balanced TRS. I'll connect it to the L output on the mixer and PAN all the way to the left.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi sweber96,

Please come back and let us know how this works for you.

Thanks

ST
sweber96
Registered since

Jul 20, 2016

Bought a different cable that has female xlr on one end and a 1/4 inch TRS balanced mono on the other end. Pan all channels to the left and the problem has been solved.

Thank you so much. I didn't know there was a difference between stereo TRS and mono balanced TRS. I previously thought all TRS cables were the same.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi sweber96,

I'm glad things are working for you.

For the record, you could probably have used a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve to ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable

Yamaha MG10xu ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve Left line out (it's mono balanced)

To:
Compact Channel 2 ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve

What makes the connection balanced is

Balanced Source -> appropriate cable -> Balanced Destination

Balanced Source is by definition, mono.
A Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable can carry a mono balanced signal or a stereo signal. What determines this is the source and the destination.

The confusion arises because the physical connections and the cables can be identical, but if the signal at the source is stereo and the destination is balanced things don't work as expected.

ST

PS here's an article about this: Balanced and Unbalanced
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

OH Well.No Panning left for me. ......I purchased 2 XLR's into 1 female 1/4 and then jack 1/4 inch male balanced into female and run to Channel 2 on Compact.
But....in the end......."Do It Your Way "

Oh...I am simply amazed at how much coverage 2 Compacts can provide if used properly to cover the "Dance Floor". ( Heck..even 1 compact amazes me!

Aj Casali
PizazzEntertainment@Comcast.net