cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albanyams
Registered since

Mar 5, 2006

Technical Wire Difficulty?

I'm not sure what it is, wiring, etc? Saturday night at an easy event while I was playing light music as people were strolling in for a Sweet 16 party, the music would cut out for about 2-3 seconds. This happened to a few songs.

I did move the wires out of my foot, stepping area. After a while it stopped doing it.

Even when Imewas away form the system it would happen.

Could it be I stepping on the wires?

I am running a 1/8 inch (mini) out of my DJ Power into a 1/4 inch into the Bose L1 powerbase.

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
DJ_Richard__Awa
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 9, 2005

Re: Technical Wire Difficulty?

Sounds like the leads to the bass bins might be loose or faulty. Tighten up all the screws in the plugs as they can work their way loose. When A B1 is added or removed, the PS1 drops the volume for a few seconds to reset the EQ and outputs.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Tim,

Sounds like DJ Richard is on to something here. It is certainly worth investigating.

Here is a link to some notes about

the B1 Cables

Please follow the link for notes from Kyle-at-Bose along with pictures and more info from Harry (dancingdogmuse).
albanyams
Registered since

Mar 5, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Richard, Award Entertainment:
Sounds like the leads to the bass bins might be loose or faulty. Tighten up all the screws in the plugs as they can work their way loose. When A B1 is added or removed, the PS1 drops the volume for a few seconds to reset the EQ and outputs.

Richard, I never thought of that!! Speaking if which, for whatever reason, I was in a hurry to set up. I dunno why, plenty of time. God I need a vacation, wait Vegas in 10 days!

I know who you are Richard, I have a big event on the 14 of Feb. If it's this, then I owe you a Thank you!
DJ_Richard__Awa
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 9, 2005

Fingers crossed for you!
albanyams
Registered since

Mar 5, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Richard, Award Entertainment:
Fingers crossed for you!

I should note that I used 1 L1 and 1 B1.
DJ_Richard__Awa
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 9, 2005

The number of B1s shouldn't affect this issue if it's what I think it is. I had some long B1 cables made up for me and I had this issue at higher volumes- one L1 would drop in volume for a while then reacquire volume again, but it was a sort of soft cut, rather than a hard cut. It sounded like software rather than hardware if that makes any sense.

I had the cables tested for impedance or resistance variations and there were minuscule differences, but so small you'd not think they could be responsible for this. I guess the trigger signal in that 4th core must be tiny. Perhaps the @Bose tech guys can give some indication of this?

Anyway, I shortened the cables a little and the problem vanished.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi DJ Richard,

I know it doesn't help you in New Zealand, but here is why I usually name http://audiopile.net as a source for B1 cables, (and this also could be the explanation for what you experienced).

quote:
Originally posted by Bill-at-Bose:
When the issue with longer B1 cables came up, our first thought was that it could be the same loose connection problem.
If I remember right, Mark from Audiopile (who is definitely one of our favorite people) had found that larger gauge wires were less susceptible to the problem. Hilmar and I looked into it further to find the root cause, and found the rather subtle issue that, depending on the wire gauges and how the wires were paired in the cable, loud bass signals (in the speaker pair of wires) in extra long cables could capacitively couple into the sensing pair of wires. When it happened, the L1 "thought" you were changing your B1 configuration and would mute.

So we looked at capacitance per foot with different wire gauges, and with twisted vs untwisted pairs in the same cable, and looked at our sensing algorithm, and did two things to solve the problem:

We had Mark at Audiopile send us some samples to our new spec, we checked them, and they worked well. This gave a method for our customers who needed a long B1 cable to get one that worked.
The second thing we did was redesign the L1 software so that it could "filter out" the effects of momentary crosstalk and not cause the problem. That way future L1's would not have the issue.

So, with Mark's help we found and implemented two solutions to make the extra long B1 cable work, a use of the system that affects only a relatively small number of our customers.

Sincerely,
Bill

Original Post
DJ_Richard__Awa
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 9, 2005

Interesting, so it's exactly as I thought. I used a thick gauge cable, but there are clearly several variables at work here. I presume that updates to the data in the L1 Classics only updates the presets, not things like the sensing protocols.
albanyams
Registered since

Mar 5, 2006

Well, I'm going to try not to think about it tonight, 200ppl for an event. I'm using my full rig, 2 L1s and 4 B2s.

Fingers crossed!