cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
playitforward
Registered since

Nov 13, 2005

Thank You Bose

Just wanted to say what a fun experience I am having using the L1. Played a great venue yesterday, The Porch Cafe, in Santa Margarita. A real old fashioned western town. One side of the room (where musicians set up) is filled with couches. The other half is filled with cafe tables. When I got there to set up it was a pretty full house, and the furthest rear couch that usually gets moved out of the way for musicians had a customer relaxing on it. I as a little nervous but had to make a quick decision, so rather than ask them to move, I squeezed in front and to the side of them. The afternoon went wonderfully. The guy on the couch said the sound was fabulous back there.

Another funny thing ... toward the end of my sets a huge rough looking guy walks in, must have been 6 foot 4, wearing cowboy boots, wrangler jeans with the big belt buckle, and tall cowboy hat. He was giving me the "dead eye" look thru the last couple songs. After, he came up and said he and his wife enjoyed the the music, and asked 'what the heck I was using for sound reinforcement, it sounded sou great'. Then he proceeded to ask if he could rent it for a couple hours. Seems he had the gig after me, an evening of Cowboy Poetry. Well, I had to "vamoose" cuz I was running late, but he suggested we team up on some gigs, so we may do a monthly variety night of Cowboy Poetry and music. Sounds like a blast to me! Anyway, tried posting a couple of photos to show the tight set up quarters and couches at the back. Amazing the compliments on the sound quality, even behind the L1!

PS: I used a Jamman looper for sound check, and had great results.
5 REPLIES 5
chuck-at-bose_2
Registered since

Nov 2, 2003

Re: Thank You Bose

WOW! Great post, scotty! Made my day and many others', I'm sure. So glad to hear that you're enjoying your L1. There's nothing quite like playing in the audience, eh?

You had me on the edge of my seat with that cowboy story. He'd better look out, or you might show him up at one of those variety night gigs Wink...

Happy trails,

Chuck
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Scotty,

That's great! I've had a few of those "squeezed in" gigs where the night went really well for me too.

Your cowboy story reminded me of a good joke. Hope you don't mind. - Tom

Big John

A bar owner in the Old West has just hired a timid new bartender. The owner of the establishment is giving his new hire some instructions on running the place. He tells the timid man, "If you ever hear that Big John is coming to town, drop everything and run for the hills! He's the meanest, biggest, nastiest outlaw who ever lived!"

A few weeks pass uneventfully. One afternoon, a local cowhand comes running through town yelling, "Big John is coming to town! Run for your lives!"

When the bartender exits the saloon to start running, he's knocked to the ground by several townspeople scurrying out of town. As he's picking himself up, he sees a large man approaching the saloon, probably about 7 feet tall, muscular, grunting and growling as he walks.

He stomps up to the door, orders the poor barkeep inside, and demands, "I want a beer now!"

He pounds his heavy fist on the bar, nearly splitting it in half. The bartender nervously hands the big man a beer, hands shaking. He takes the beer, rips the top of the bottle off with his teeth, and downs the beer in one gulp.

As the poor timid bartender cowers behind the bar, the big man gets up to leave. "Do you want another beer?" the bartender calls out.

"Dang it, I don't have time!" the big man yells. "I gotta get out of town. Didn't ya hear Big John is a-comin?"
Ted the musicman
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2006

LOL

That was great Tom, I loved it !

So happy you are enjoying your L1 Scotty. I am going to start performing again soon and I can hardly wait to see what kind of response I get from the audience when I start using my L1 for the first time.

Ted
kingscourt
Registered since

Oct 27, 2006

Ted,

If you take some time to get to know the system before you perform for the first time and make sure to follow the set up and gain staging ideas on this site and in the manual, you will have a great first night back.

Good luck.
playitforward
Registered since

Nov 13, 2005

I love that Big John story.

Sometimes real life is even stranger than fiction. When my "Big John" walked into the cafe on Sunday, I was in the middle og singing Lyle Lovett's "If I Had A Boat". Just as Big John stepped across the threshold into the room I was belting out (with gusto) the part ... "Kiss my ____ .... I bought a boat I'm goin out to sea". Luckily he didn't seem to take it personally.

Scotty