Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 7, 2005

The Amazing Discovery of the PAS and PODXL combination!

Being a full-time musician I have owned a bunch of gear throughout the years. Always in hopes that the most current purchase will be the end all. It seems as though it never is...

2004 was the year I decided to spend what I have to in order to have the best possible products relative to my situation... I'm active in 3 bands.... one a loud funk band, one a loud jazz-fusion group and the other a Tribal world beat with dancers situation,

So consequently... I've been through a '65 reissue Twin, a Mesa Boogie Lone Star, Roland JC-120 and a Vox Valvetronics Amp... All worked okay ... but here's my experience.

The Vox was never able to achieve the clarity of any of the other amps. For some reason, I guess most British amps breakup way too early for my musical style.... I prefer pristine clean (not almost clean) as the basis of my sound and the Valvetronics lacked a model for the JC-120 (which is my favorite clean sound). Plus, it's blackface models just could not stay clean at high volumes. Even with the built in boosting effects...

Not to mention that the Vox distortions did not sound good unless you maxed out the gain... and the overdrives always had too much of an edge for my taste.

I will admit however, that their Dumble models were the excellent exception. As they ended up being the only one's I used. However I still had to use an outside booster pedal to make them usable.

Oh, and in addendum ... the Vox wah-wah barely cut it... (the PODxt Live's Wah is perfectly funky..)

The '65 twin was very loud and had that wonderful Fender shimmer, but unfortunately broke up way too early... (maybe the normal twin stays clean longer...) Defeated my need to play funky rhythms loud and clear ... or take clean fusion-jazz solos without any breakup...

The Mesa Lone Star had a wonderful clean tone that seemed to even improve with volume... however, it's distortion was always just too hard sounding for me no matter how I EQ'd it... that's a lot of doe to spend for just a good tube clean sound. Yet, it does handle pedals well, but I need a lot of them for the funk school of playing.

So before I got the PAS and PODxt Live combination, the JC-120 with pedals was my functioning utility amp ... it's natural Stereo Chorus is the very best of any and it handles tube sounding pedals well, However, I still had to Max it out and sometimes that's just not enough to cut through a pumping band with a strongly present bass and pounding percussionists.

However, that was all before I found out about the 180 degree sound dispersion qualities of the PAS and the diverse possibilities of the PODxt Live... this new Line 6 product has blown away all my expectations.

I've never liked any Line 6 products before this one. Now I cannot stop giving it critical acclaim. It's cleans are wonderful and it's distortions-overdrives are everything one would except. The Vox doesn't even come close even though it has a 12AX7 in it. Don't be fooled by the tube feel facade ... the PODXL feels much better to my touch.

Maybe it's the combination of the 7 foot Pole and the black floorboard... but with the newly found sensation of both of these product's now performing with me on a regular basis...all my other gear is up for sale.

Ciao, Joseph
105 REPLIES 105
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 21, 2004

Re: The Amazing Discovery of the PAS and PODXL combination!

Bose ( and Line-6) have made a BOAT load of used equipment show up on the market lately ! <g>

Also, I keep telling people to play their new XT live thru headphones... and when they find they can't get those accurate tones/sounds from their PA or AMP - I tell them to get the Bose, gaint vertical Headphone device <g>
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 13, 2003

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for writing to us. I think the universe of guitar players will be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm curious about where and when you learned about the Cylindrical Radiator speaker, and how you first heard it, and what you did to convince yourself that you should purchase.

If you're willing to share this with us, it would be very much appreciated.
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 7, 2005

Thanks Ken.

My curiosity was sent into motion one day by the add displayed at Harmony Central. After researching various Internet reviews and your website until PAS details reeked through my pores. So when I went to Guitar Center in San Jose where they only had two floor models left, I simply picked one up, plus a PODxt Live, out of pure trust and faith.

Since I perform almost every night of the week, I've already encountered the arm-crossed purists with the initial "where the hell is your amp, dude?" But once everyone hears it in practice, the quality of comments have only been stellar!

Even the audience, club managers and bartenders were curious...
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 4, 2005

So, I was in exactly the same boat. I had a few amps I used for different situations - a MesaBoogie MkIV, an old Fender Princeton Reverb, and a friend's Marshall half-stack. I had about 6 pedals I used with each but was really getting sick and tired of all of the setup required. Plus, lugging that Boogie was going to put me in the Chiropractor's office!

I made the jump right before Christmas - got a PAS and a PodXTLive - I love it now! I can get pretty much whatever tone I'm looking for except a good acoustic one for my Martin M-38 (still working on that though - got a Yamaha Magicstomp acoustic for that) and Im in Heaven. Easy setup, easy teardown, tremendous flexibility and, oh yeah, the PAS sounds pretty darn good!

Still have a few pedals to put on eBay but I'm pretty much done with buying any gear for a while...
Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 2, 2003

Dave,

As a starting point for acoustic guitar with the XT Live, be sure that the footswitch for 'Amp' is switched off. Even if you have 'No Amp' seleceted for a model, I found that it makes a world of difference when I bypass the whole Amp circuit this way. (Prior to discovering this, I couldn't get an uncolored acoustic sound to start with.)

Let me know if this is unclear and I'll try to explain it better...

[edited for clarity, I hope...]
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 13, 2003

Hey,

Come see us demo a system with a killer quartet in the NJ area Feb. 14-17. If you come, introduce yourself to me.

See you there!

Click here for details.
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 7, 2005

Tonight two different guitarists who read my posts on this website, showed up at my gig in downtown Monterey with the Neil Banks Funk Band
... That was very cool!

One from San Jose and the other from Santa Cruz. The fellow from Santa Cruz brought two other curious musicians in his band with him.... One of them had been to my gigs before and were familair with my sound and playing.

The guitarists were interested in purchasing the PODXL and Bose combination. I brought 'em both on stage during our breaks, and quietly demonstrated the great tones I was getting with the Line 6 going through the Bose. From the looks on their face and their response, I must say they seemed as though they were blown away: "Wow, you can sound like that and don't have to been cranking..."

When we started up again, they walked around the room and checked out the sound. Giving me the "thumbs up" sign... How fun!

Ciao, the Joseph
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 7, 2005

After much experimentation, I've found that the PODXL Output Mode, Bose PS-1 setting definitely adds a slightly darker coloring of one's initial guitar tone. I guess you might call it the "Bose" signature speaker sound in way.

This could qualify as a subtle fattening of tone when compared to the Studio Direct Mode setting which gives you an unaffected sound you can then manipulate with A.I.R, cab, etc...

I my particular case, I've found the PS-1 output mode to be the preferable of the two choices (so far...) And therefore glad I don't have to mess with virtual mic placement or cab choice.

Ciao, the Joseph
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 13, 2004

Joseph,
PODXL has a specific output mode for the BOSE PS-1? My POD 2.3 crapped out on me at practice. Not able to do anything yet to try and figure it out, maybe tonight. Wondering about the PODXT Live. Is that what you have? Or rather is PODXL and PODXT one and the same? I may need to purchase new POD, so hence the questions. Thanks in advance. PS did new upgrades last night to PAS! Went well! Loved new vocal presets!

Jan