Boy_Narf
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Thinking of moving to a T4S, few questions.

Hello Friends,

I've been using a L1M2B2 with a T1 for the past few years. It just so happens to be Bose month at L&M and I'm considering upgrading to the T4S. Now I'm fimiliar with the physical differences between the two but I'm curious about the internals? Have the preamps been updated, or any other technical things of that nature? I read one post about someone who moved from a T4 to a T8 and experienced way hotter preamps on the T8.

I also have a question about routing. I use the preamp outputs of the T1 when I'm recording as my interface doesn't have enough channels. I'm wondering if it's possible to assign each channel to a separate output?

Channel 1: L, Channel 2: R, Channel 3: Aux 1, Channel 4: Aux 2. 

I fired up the T4 in store and managed to pan channel 1 left, channel 2 right, and assign the aux outputs to channels 3 and 4. Now my question is, when you assign an Aux output does the sound still come out of the main L&R outputs, or can each channel be isolated to a specific output?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Thinking of moving to a T4S, few questions.

Hi, Boy_Narf,

Boy_Narf posted:

Hello Friends,

I've been using a L1M2B2 with a T1 for the past few years. It just so happens to be Bose month at L&M and I'm considering upgrading to the T4S. Now I'm fimiliar with the physical differences between the two but I'm curious about the internals? Have the preamps been updated, or any other technical things of that nature? I read one post about someone who moved from a T4 to a T8 and experienced way hotter preamps on the T8.

The preamps are similar. One big difference is the analog outputs of the T4S and T8S are much hotter than the T1 Master Output.

I also have a question about routing. I use the preamp outputs of the T1 when I'm recording as my interface doesn't have enough channels. I'm wondering if it's possible to assign each channel to a separate output?

Channel 1: L, Channel 2: R, Channel 3: Aux 1, Channel 4: Aux 2. 

Bose dropped the individual preamp outputs. The user research found very few people using them, although I understand your application.

If I understood your question correctly, then "Yes".

The T4S has two Aux outputs (T1 has one). You can route T4S channels 1, 2, 3, 4 to either Aux output (Pre (with EQ & FX)/Post fader).  You can use that to make up for two of the T1 preamp outputs.

I fired up the T4 in store and managed to pan channel 1 left, channel 2 right, and assign the aux outputs to channels 3 and 4. Now my question is, when you assign an Aux output does the sound still come out of the main L&R outputs, or can each channel be isolated to a specific output?

If you set the Aux sends to Pre (with EQ & FX), then you can mute the channel and nothing is sent to the main outputs.

Thanks,

Here is more about the

T4S Aux Outputs

and a comparison

Bose T4S and T8S ToneMatch® Mixers Compared to Bose T1® ToneMatch Audio Engine

Does that help?
ST

Boy_Narf
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Yes that does help and I appreciate the quick response. I've got a 1/4 - XLR adapter for my T1 already so I'm still deciding if the T4 will be a useful upgrade. I do think the three band paraEQ per channel and headphone jack might be the selling point for me.

Software limitations are my biggest gripe with the T1. I would really like more control over parameters on the Kick gates. I still can't get it to work reliably with my 18" or 16" non ported kicks (cuts off the notes if I'm not stomping as hard as possible or doing anything speedy). Tried it on my brothers 22" ported kick the other day and it worked extremely well though. Would love just a slight expansion on the min and max values allowed so I can cater it to my smaller kicks. I posted about this a while back and tried all the suggestions but settled on making my own kick drum patch. Of course it doesn't sound as good but it works much better.  

Also I would like some way (without bridging channels) to apply both a gate and limiter/comp at the same time on the same patch. I find singers to be all over the place volume wise (especially live) and I have to constantly adjust the gain level during a jam/gig to keep a good balance of enough level vs keeping it out of the red. We keep a fairly strong gate on the vocals at all times to keep the feedback in check at louder volumes. I almost feel like a master gate (similar to the way reverb works) would be a welcome addition. Anytime we mic something we put a light gate on it.

Thanks again. We've got a big show this weekend which would be a great test for the T4. The extra input would make things easier, that's for sure.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Boy_Narf,

Wow, you are really familiar with your T1. I had forgotten how deeply you've dug into it.

Will you keep the T1 when you get the T4S?  I've always found L&M to be fair, but sometimes there's still enough value in something I might have traded on a deal, to warrant keeping it.

I just glanced through some of your other posts. Do you have two L1 systems?

How many inputs do you have?

ST

Boy_Narf
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Hey,

Yea I've definately dig into the functionality of the T1. Oh how I wish it could store and recall gain settings also  

I've only got a single L1.

Inputs wise, at rehearsal we do kick, vocal, and Tom. I keep my Chromecast audio hooked into channel 4 and use it as a speaker from time to time. 

My other project has guitar, kick, vocals, and synth. I've yet to run out of inputs.

This weekend we will be micing kick, guitar, and two vocals. We might also be running music meaning I will have to swap out channel 4. This is the first time the 5 inputs would be helpful for us. That said we don't take the system out much (couple times a year).

L&M are not fair haha, well not anymore. The market here is so bad they pay next to nothing for used, and slightly more for trades. I think I would keep the T1 for when we do drum tracking as the preamp outs makes things much easier. Also I suppose if we ever need more inputs I could run the T1 into the digital input, and the T4 into the analog input. 

Bose month is 0% financing for 12 months anyway so it's pretty cheap to get into the mixer regardless.

Boy_Narf
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Decided I'll stick with the T1, it served us well this last gig

I posted a report/question in the S1 forum if anyone wants to hear about it.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Boy_Narf,

Thanks for the update.

I'll check out the other post.

ST