cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schaeffz
Registered since

Jan 28, 2008

To reverb or Not To reverb

OK, I'm 58 years old, play acoustic guitar and sing since I was 18, do stuff at church and in the church band, sang solo at a few weddings and funerals, performed in community choruses and in community theater...so I am a confident and competent performer, not super-dupper on the guitar, but my singing carries the performance.

So, at the urging of friends and family, I did my first coffee house solo gig. I packed the place (with friends and family LOL) and really enjoyed myself as well as received rave reviews. I've always wanted to do this gig thing! I used a clunky PA system for my first attempt and had volume problems, etc.

So now I've booked a few more gigs and I decided to buy the L1 Model I with B1 and T1! When I jump in, I really jump in! So I'm figuring I'd have the most flexibility with this combo. I may have venues to use the L1 by itself and others needing the T1 and/or B1 or not. Seems like a good plan to me! (Any feedback on that plan in general would be nice!) I looked over most posts here to help me decide what to buy.

I am positive that the small coffee houses with lousy acoustics and low ceilings require some reverb, at least with that clunky PA. And my church for example has very live acoustics and reverb would be overkill I think. So, I bought the T1 to provide that, plus the anticipated fun of playing with the other effects. Now I could have gotten a much cheaper effects module, but I want to stay All-Bose in this and use the L1 capabilities.

So, my question is simply, with the L1, which venues require reverb or not, how much to apply, etc. My thing is Love songs and Fun songs and God songs, from the past 100 years. So, I have some rockin' things, 50's, 60's, to some current country and Top 40 stuff. I use a Boss drum machine. I also do jazzy songs from the 20's, 30's, 40's, ballads, folk, etc., without drums expecting to show a lot of subtlety. I have a borderline overbearing vibratto that I found can be tempered some with reverb. Sometimes this vocal quality totally helps make the sound great.

So, advice or experience, anyone?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

Re: To reverb or Not To reverb

Personally I don’t like hearing effects. They should complement and be part of the sound. I say experiment. What is great about the Bose is you will hear what everyone else will hear. The other good point is, it is easy to adjust or turn off the effects with the T1 while you are playing. Good luck. Roy
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

Ditto that.

I've noticed the reverbs on the Bose are fairly subtle, at least compared to the surf/swamp verbs that come with many PAs. I don't think you'll find it overwhelming. And as Roy said, it's a quick push of a button to kill it - easy to a/b the effect.
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Using the Vocalist Live, I apply a small amount of reverb. Too much is too muddy.

Wayne
colandy
Registered since

Dec 5, 2004

Hi Schaeffz. Welcome to the board. It sounds as if you are on the right track to be a happy solo entertainer. My only suggestion would be that if you can afford the Model II, you would find that it is much more portable, and it fits better on small stages. There is also the slightly better dispersion of sound. I get all my gear ,including 2 B1's and guitar, in the trunk of my Camry (OK, the stool is in the back seat).
(Edited to say that I also use a small amount of reverb, and sometimes on a rock-a-billy song I even go wild enough to use delay)

Respect
ric_2
Registered since

Jan 16, 2006

You should find with the L1 that you won't need reverb because of room acoustics. You won't have to worry about being able to hear your voice.

To me when I first heard my voice through the L1 it sounded like a studio recorded vocal, recorded with a nice mic and just a little bit of some sort of effect added. In other words the vocal sounds very good, with a good mic, without any effects. I don't know compared to a regular PA, it's extremely clear and velvety, like a real human voice but louder.

If you do use reverb use it spareingly, to much makes a singer untelligible. And if you use it in a place that has any amount of bouncback you will have effect reverb on top of room reverb, which equals vocal mush.

I've never much liked effects,except in recording, because it always takes away vocal clarity within the mix live.

If you are not in a rush I would get the L1 first and try it without effects. You may save some bucks on vocal processing if you decide you don't need it.

In my opinion with the L1 you only really need vocal effects if you need/want harmonies, but don't have harmony singers.
Dan_Cornett
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by schaeffz:
... may have venues to use the L1 by itself and others needing the T1 and/or B1 or not....
If you do stick with the Model 1, there may be times you don't need the T1. If you chose the lighter Model II, you'll probably always use the T1.

I doubt you'd ever be satisfied without a B1.

You may find 2 B1's to be better, especially with drum machine backing.
dhcrow
Registered since

Apr 17, 2006

L1, B1, T1 - great combo that should never be separated! You'll eventually agree!

Congrats!!!!!!

dhcrow
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Wow, so many anti reverb musicians! It has got to be what you think suits YOU and the material. it does of course vary and depend on the room acoustics. As you've no doubt discovered your, coffee shop is different from your church. But the beauty of this system is that You can hear what everyone else hears, so if YOU think it's too much then YOU adjust it. But I would say (again) if your material say's your voice would benefit from a little effect (love songs) don't be frightened to use it. Thats what it's there for.
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Aitch, I think that's good advice. I generally use a low amount of reverb but if I'm covering, say, 'Instant Karma', I'm not against playing with it a bit.

Wayne