theblueslawyer
Participant
Registered since

Feb 27, 2018

Tone Match Settings for Vocals at Live Gigs

Does anyone have any recommended settings (ZEq, Delay, Reverb, etc.) for a 75 room capacity bar playing live blues gigs? I get a tinny sound on my L1 Compact and can't get my Tone Match to compensate. Using a Shure 58 mic. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Re: Tone Match Settings for Vocals at Live Gigs

Hi agarza27,

welcome to the forum.

agarza27 posted:

Does anyone have any recommended settings (ZEq, Delay, Reverb, etc.) for a 75 room capacity bar playing live blues gigs? I get a tinny sound on my L1 Compact and can't get my Tone Match to compensate. Using a Shure 58 mic. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

I regularly use a T1 + Compact with a Shure Beta 58A (I've also used an SM 58). I never have any problems with it sounding tinny. I take it that you mean a Shure SM58? Have you chosen the preset for that microphone?

If so let me explain something about the microphone presets in the T1. The presets are EQ-settings which have been created for close-miking technique. This means that the microphone is very close to the lips (maybe even brushing the mesh with the lips). Most microphones exhibit what is called the proximity effect when used in this way. The lower frequencies are accentuated. This effect is compensated for when using the preset. If you don't use the microphone near to your lips it can sound tinny and brittle.

Using the close miking technique has the advantage of not needing to turn the microphone up louder than necessary, thus reducing the danger of feedback. If you're using a close-miking technique you might want to t5ry out the normal 3 band EQ for that channel.

Has this helped at all?

Tony