Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 4, 2008

ToneMatch Audio Engine

I have preamps / modelers that I need to use. Is it possible to have a flat EQ setting, and not select a specific instrument? This is a deal breaker for me. I need a FRFR solution with no / minimal tonal coloration - as close to flat response as possible.

Where may I find this information?

Peace.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: ToneMatch Audio Engine

Hi rsm,

To run completely flat, you can bypass all Presets in the T1®.

If you have your own preamps / modelers maybe you have your own mixer. If so, you might like to know that there is a balanced analog input (line-level input) completely flat on the Model II Power Stand. If you don't need the processing in the T1®, then you can run the Model II (or the Model I for that matter) without one.

If you don't mind... Please tell us a bit about what you are doing. Maybe we can help.
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 4, 2008

Thanks ST.

I nearly purchased a line mixer and traditional active FRFR cabinets then "found" the L1 and the ToneMatch system.

I play bass, guitar and keys. (no longer live, but I may get the urge again!) I'm looking for a versatile FRFR solution that would allow me to have a single amplification set-up (portable, great sound,etc.) to support all of these instruments.

For guitar, I use a Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx Ultra preamp which models various amps, cabs, mics and mic placement, as well as an amazing array of effects; for bass, I have a Trace Elliot MP11 preamp that provides the tone I need and want; finally, for keys, I'm using software instruments on a Mac with a MIDI controller.

Any recommendations on the best approach using an L1 system is appreciated.

Peace.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi rsm,

It sounds like you are going to need some kind of mixer unless I missed something in that amazing list of gear, unless you are willing plug in/remove your inputs as you use them.

You might be interested to know that you can connect the T1® to your Mac via USB. The Mac will see it as an outboard USB sound card. This sounds terrific through the T1®->digital ToneMatch® connection to the Model II Power Stand.

That would still leave you 3 microphone/line level inputs and one more line (dual input) line level input. So I think you would have enough to cover your connectivity needs. As I mentioned, you can run flat through the T1® if you want.

Bose has a 45 day Better Music Guarantee.
See: 45 Day Trial from Bose & Other Purchase Options.

I think that hearing the Model II and T1® would be the best way to know if the L1® System is going to suit your needs. You can return what you don't need (e.g. the T1® or the whole system) if you find that it doesn't do what you want.
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 4, 2008

ST,

I'll have a total of 3 inputs minimum - 4 or 5 if it makes sense to use stereo (both left & right channels) for guitar or keys (not sure if/how panning is supported though I don't use it much); I'm fine using a single channel for each instrument.

I'd essentially use the ToneMatch as a "line mixer" - the price is comparable to other quality line mixers. I'd also try-out the presets even though my guitars aren't on the list (my 4003 is though).

I'm considering the L1 Model II single bass w/ToneMatch engine package to start.

What are the frequency ranges and responses of the B1 and the L1 Cylindrical Radiator and Articulated Array? What is the amp output, peak and RMS? I've read 250W, is that peak?

I still have much research to do...

Peace
Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 9, 2004

Hi rsm,

Thanks for considering the L1 system! I'd like to answer your specification questions for you.

First, if you haven't yet, please try out the system and trust your ears to determine if it's right for you. Most people who have find the experience enlightening, if not downright eye-opening.

Sometimes spec questions relate to specific concerns, such as "is the system loud enough for my venues?" As you continue to research the forum and try the system, you should be able to answer that question.

The peak and average power rating of amplifiers do not always correlate directly to the amount of clean sound a system achieves. For example, one speaker may be twice as efficient as another, and produce more volume from the exact same amp. So again, you've got to use your best tool, your ears.

That said, our 250W rating is a conservative rating, consistent with industry standards. There is headroom above the rated power.

When people ask about frequency response, they are usually concerned about whether a system will accurately deliver their tone throughout a room. The L1 is unsurpassed at this - you can craft the exact sound for your instrument that you desire, and then deliver that full range throughout the room so that your music sounds just as exciting to the side of the room as it does in front of the stage. Again, please try it! It's hard for us to express all the different qualities that make this system stand out with single numbers or specifications.

I hope that helps!

-Bill
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

Hey, rsm:

There *is* one spec that I find relevant to the L1 systems: The low frequency cutoff is 40 Hz (the B1's low limit).

That is mostly of relevance if you expect to reproduce the low pedal tones of a pipe organ; most of the time, for most all music styles, that spec is not a severe limitation.
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 4, 2008

Thanks Bill & Dan.

I agree I need to hear one of these systems.

The reason I'm interested in the frequency range / response is to see how it will support my preamps.

My concern is that other users of the Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx have stated the L1 system (with 0-4 B1's) has too strong Mids. Can the T1 set flat, using zEq compensate and allow scooping of the mids?

Peace.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi rsm,

Yes you can use the T1® set flat, and then use the zEQ to make adjustments. You also have a Parametric EQ if you want to get really precise.

Please check out the T1® online interactive simulation to get a sense of what it will be like to work with one.

The really interactive part is the third button (at the bottom) on the left side when you follow the link.