cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Too Tall (again!)

Hi Guy's Happy new year and all that...I just wanted to talk about something that I never considered when buying this system and never had problems with before. Just this weekend I had two venue's that had false ceilings and a raised stage. Not a problem with the Mackies on stands thing but c'mon....two nights in a row!!this is only the fourth time I've used it too!
Thanks to some great advice from ST, I tried the set up he suggested and the comments of appreciation that I got from the second venue were starting to sound like the ones I see a lot of on this forum.
Apart from the low ceiling and small stage (see pic) causing me to almost deafen myself due to the close proximity of the L1, It was the best sound I've had in years. I also wondered if anyone has had the problem of not getting a lot of gain from the mic. By that I mean I have to turn the dials all the way around to the end stop just to get it to turn red during gain staging!! It's a sennheiser ew300 wireless btw...and yes I have tried the adjustment knob on the back of the receiver.
9 REPLIES 9
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Too Tall (again!)

Just got tired of turning my head so ...
Dan_Cornett
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Aitch:
...the low ceiling and small stage (see pic) causing me to almost deafen myself due to the close proximity of the L1, It was the best sound I've had in years...

From the photo, one suggestion would be to move the column further to one side or the other (e.g.: on the other side of the current B1 location) so that you are standing further away from the L1 -- even if you are more beside than in front of it.

quote:
...I also wondered if anyone has had the problem of not getting a lot of gain from the mic. By that I mean I have to turn the dials all the way around to the end stop just to get it to turn red during gain staging!!...

Just a thought ... double-check where you are plugging in the connection from the wireless receiver. I'm assuming the cable is a 1/4" phone plug, so be sure you plug it into the middle of the XLR connector, NOT into the "INSERT" 1/4 jack. That's an all too common mistake that many of us have made.
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Oops.. sorry about the pic orientation. I forgot to set it right before posting. I had to take it with my phone so I'm afraid thats the best it got. (must remember to take camera!) Thanks for straightening it for me ST

Dan Cornett: I'm afraid I've now been spoilt by this new concept and completely love the fact that I can hear myself (at last). my first gig with the low ceiling last weekend forced me to do what you suggested and hated every minute of it. From now on (venue permitting) I'm going to stand as "in front" as I can and if I have the volume issue...just turn it down.
Okay, I've just read what I wrote and I know there will be a barrage of posts referring to the "wide field of dispersion. I know... but there is a sweet spot...right in front. Just for me! Am I selfish? maybe... but I LOVE this thing! Oh and the mic input was all correct, Couldn't really get that wrong because it's XLR!
Dan_Cornett
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Aitch:
...I also wondered if anyone has had the problem of not getting a lot of gain from the mic. By that I mean I have to turn the dials all the way around to the end stop just to get it to turn red during gain staging!! It's a sennheiser ew300 wireless btw...and yes I have tried the adjustment knob on the back of the receiver.

Well, the adjustments you are indicating on the PS/1 are puzzling, because from the spec's of the EW300 series (PDF download) I found, the 1/4" (unbalanced) maximum output should be +4dBu and the XLR (balanced) should be +10dBu -- and with those levels I think you would be having to turn the "Trim" knob way down (nearly fully counter-clock-wise).
holliwil
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

quote:
I also wondered if anyone has had the problem of not getting a lot of gain from the mic. By that I mean I have to turn the dials all the way around to the end stop just to get it to turn red during gain staging!! It's a sennheiser ew300 wireless btw...and yes I have tried the adjustment knob on the back of the receiver.

I use an EW 100 wireless headset mic, and yes, I have to push the trim on the powerstand almost all the way up to get a red light.

So I always gain stage the microphone first, and then adjust the main volume on the remote to fill the room. Then I set up my instrument level from those baseline settings.

I've never had a problem getting everything loud enough.

Jeff
www.theunmentionables.com
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Thanks Holliwil, I'm glad it's not just me. I still have to get used to it. Smile
Dan_Cornett
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Cornett:
....from the spec's of the EW300 series (PDF download) I found, the 1/4" (unbalanced) maximum output should be +4dBu and the XLR (balanced) should be +10dBu ...

Hmmmm... just some idle speculation/curiosity ... Jeff, Aitch -- have you compared the use of (the difference between) the unbalanced vs balanced connections?

I'm wondering if they really mean that the unbalanced is a "line out" and the balanced output is intended for mic-level on a mixing board? Confused
holliwil
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

Dan,

My receiver has a single 1/4" output marked "AF OUT bal/unbal". My AF level is always at +10 dBu (max volume).
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Hi Dan, I've not really had the chance to experiment much with the kit but like "Holiwell" says, I'm almost at max volume. The only difference being that my receiver has the option of a xlr or 1/4inch bal/unbal output. will keep you informed after my next gig!