Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyg1
Registered since

Mar 26, 2007

Turbo Tax number for DJ's?

Hey guys,

I use good old turbo tax to do my business taxes. I've been using it for a couple years and what bugs me is I use a generic id code for "professional ID code". This comes with some down falls because there's no specific deduction categories set up for a DJ. I have to lump everything in one category, per turbo tax recommendations.

Question is, if any of you are using turbo tax, do you know a Professional id code specifically for a DJ?
9 REPLIES 9
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

Re: Turbo Tax number for DJ's?

The number is 711510. It is for actors, performers, and others, including “ Disc jockeys, independent.“ Hope this helps!
jeremyg1
Registered since

Mar 26, 2007

thanks buddy..

I'll compare that to the one I've been using.
jeremyg1
Registered since

Mar 26, 2007

Question:

Do you guys write off your tux's and suit's?

I know this is a gray area. . . IRS states, you can't be able to wear it in a "every day" setting.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy G.:
Question:

Do you guys write off your tux's and suit's?

I know this is a gray area. . . IRS states, you can't be able to wear it in a "every day" setting.

The tux and cleaning can be written off, as a tux is not considered "everyday wear" but "specialty clothing" not unlike a uniform. However, a suit is NOT deductible, as it can be worn in "everyday" settings.

You can write off shirts and caps and jackets with your logo on them as advertising, however, since you are advertising your business when you wear that clothing.
jeremyg1
Registered since

Mar 26, 2007

Thanks again for the info. . .

I'm actually getting back $500. . first time I will be getting money back since 1999.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy G.:
Thanks again for the info. . .

I'm actually getting back $500. . first time I will be getting money back since 1999.

Congrats!

Just as a piece of trivia, the "uniform rule" came about way back in the 1950s and was originally known as the "Dinah Shore" rule.

Dinah Shore was a singer/entertainer who had a TV show in the 50s. It was a variety show and featured different singers and performers each week, and was sponsored by Chevrolet (not that it makes any difference--just adding to the trivia).

The IRS challenged her deduction for the dresses that she was wearing on the show. They said they were not deductible because she could wear them to parties and galas and they would not be considered "uniforms" since they could be worn when she was not performing. She won her case: she explained that the dresses were designed specifically for her to be standing on stage, and they were VERY tight, especially through the hips. When the IRS scoffed, she sat in a chair in one of the dresses, and the dress ripped apart, proving her point. Deduction granted.

🙂

That's why a tux is deductible (specialty clothing) but a formal suit is not deductible. You can wear the formal suit to church or other social occasions, but the tux's wear is limited.

Not sure if this was interesting to you or not, but it is to me. 🙂
mikep_2
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

Media4u2, I found that very interesting. I love trivia and I loved her show (although it was after the 50's when I was watching).
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by mikep:
Media4u2, I found that very interesting. I love trivia and I loved her show (although it was after the 50's when I was watching).

In that case, here's another piece of television trivia linked to the Dinah Shore Show.

She was the first one to use chroma-key, which is, simply, having someone stand in front of a solid-color background. One camera shoots that scene, but when the signal is sent to the control room, the color of the screen behind them is filtered out. In its place is the feed from another camera. Chroma-key is usually referred to today as "green screen" or "blue screen," as those are the two colors most frequently used for the chroma-key. OK, so much for explanations. On to the trivia.

Dinah Shore decided to stand in front of a blue screen to sing a song (I forget what the song was--something about San Francisco, I believe), and behind her, an aerial view of San Francisco combined with her first shot to make it look as if she were floating or flying over the city.

However, as the camera zoomed in on her face, her eyes were replaced by skyscrapers. Turns out the blue color of her eyes was the same color as the blue screen behind her! 🙂

Technology has come a long way since then, and the color exactness is much more precise nowadays.

edit: undoing aggressive automated language filter
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Great stuff!
Thanks