Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

Two Compacts and a 17-piece Jazz Band

Hi Everybody,

Just played a gig with the Moon Dust Big Band in a 120' long X 100' wide room using two Compacts as the vocal PA. The band was mic'd into the house PA: several Thump 15"/horn mains and monitors with two RCF 18" subs. I ran two AKG C900 handheld condensors into a Behringer 802 mixer (unity gain on channels and master, trims at 9 o'clock, flat EQ) feeding a TS signal into the left Compact channel 2, daisy-chained to the right Compact with a 30' TS cable. Both Compacts set to 12 o'clock. We sound checked on "Luck Be A Lady" and the house sound man said it sounded "really, really good" and he would just mix the band "around" the sound of the Bose. The clarity was superb and the crowd was having a great time being able to hear a great vocal sound with all the detail and finesse jazz vocals require. There was no feed into the house PA and, of course, no monitors necessary.

The Compacts were raised about two feet and were in line with the trombones (2nd row, 1st row being saxes and 3rd row trumpets). Even being 4' behind the Compacts, the trumpet players commented after the gig how well they could hear the vocals. The mics were set up on the audience left, 6-7' to the interior side of and 3-4' in front of the left Compact. Even though the C900's are cardioid and 3 1/2 times as sensitive as SM58's, there was never the slightest hint of feedback the whole three hours we played.

After the gig, most of the band had a lot of questions about the Compacts and were amazed at the full, rich sound they produced. The sound man asked what the rated wattage was and I told him I thought it was around 110 watts RMS or so. He said they sounded better than any of the 300-watt 15"/horn-type cabs he typically worked with and were just as loud to his ear. And I totally agreed with him.

I feel very good about my purchase of two Compacts and look forward to using them often in a variety of gig situations.

James Gorin