Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_in_Texas
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 15, 2003

Re: Two Compacts and small mixer for a band

Hey Lyle - just a thought - IF I was in the market for a mixer, I would give very strong consideration to the new QSC very small format models - an 8 and 16 channel - TouchMix:

QSC Touch Mix 8 & 16 http://qsc.com/products/mixers/touchmix_series/

Thanks for your positive results on the double Compact approach, great to know!

Mike O'
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
I'm holding off on the Allen & Heath mixer for now, as the Mackie works fine. And I think it's worth waiting for the Behringer XR12 or XR16

Hi

We use the same 2 compact setup with keyboard, dual vocals and tracks. 2 mic's. I love the Allen & Heath so much I went out and bought another one just for rehearsal.

Just my two cents

Aj
Class Entertaiment
"music is neither new or old...it just "is"
BigEarz
Participant
Registered since

Feb 23, 2014

I wanted to update this thread with my results so far.

We played a back-yard party for 40 people. I set up two Compacts and fed them with my Mackie mixer. Into that we only put the keyboard and one mic; I used a separate small amp for my Upright Bass. It was way more than needed.

Back at the room in the Club I mentioned above, we had another 2 gigs for the same duo, and I put the keyboard and mic through one Compact directly, no mixer (my Upright through it's own amp again). That worked just fine, and I still had headroom.

Last night we repeated the Duo at our Club, but added a great Singer. She asked for some reverb, but was happy with the sound. Again, one Compact did all we needed with headroom to spare, but I might add a Allen&Heath small mixer just to be able to supply some internal reverb.

Next test will be to see if two Compacts and mixer can keep up with our 6-piece Latin dance band in a small bar with maybe 50-60 people.... vocals-only though.

....Lyle
macheted01
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2019

I have an Allen & Heath Zed 10 and love it. Great mixer. If you are just looking for some reverb, check out something like the TC Electronic Mic Mechanic. Having a small mixer will open more possibilities, though.
BigEarz
Participant
Registered since

Feb 23, 2014

Another update. Hopefully these help updates pay back for some of the great info I've gained on this forum.

I've been doing a weekly gig in the room I described above. Running a Piano (Yamaha P80) and a Singer (SM58) directly into a single Compact. With the volume set to 10 or 11 o-clock there's an absolute ton of headroom to spare. My Upright Bass goes through a very small combo amp. Easy quick setup, no feedback, no monitors, natural sounding....all to be expected I suppose.

Added a Mic Mechanic for the Singer for what the group said was the "best vocal sound yet". No test of the pitch-correction, as the singer is plenty good enough. But she was very happy with the medium reverb & tone. Updated the firmware, and want to try the "less bright" tone next weekend.

Last night, we used 2 Compacts and my Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer with the Latin dance band. Nice house, very large living room with high ceilings, maybe 30 people plus musicians. Compacts set up behind the band, 2 vocal mics, Guitar, and Korg Keyboard through the mixer. Second Guitar, second Keyboard player, and my Electric Bass through separate amps. Plus Congas & Timbales without mics.

I wanted to try this house party before the attempting the small club we typically play, and it worked. 8-) Channel 2 volume was set to 12 o-clock on both Compacts, and I never saw the signal level lights be anything but green. At one point the Korg player wanted to play synth bass with his left hand, so I took a break and listened from the front; his bass lines came through just fine, warm & rich.

I rolled-off the highs on the microphones just a bit, and we never had a feedback problem all night. I know there are limits to this rig, but I think I'll try it in the small club next.

....Lyle
macheted01
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2019

Sounds great. Glad it is all working out for ya. I love the Mic Mechanic pedal. I have not used the auto tune either, although I have a song in mind for it. Keep us posted.
BigEarz
Participant
Registered since

Feb 23, 2014

Another update on using my Compacts:

I should say "Compact", singular, because that pretty much all I've been using these days. We've been playing every Friday night at my Club, in the room described above. Electric Piano, Upright Bass, and Singer, doing Jazz, Show Tunes, and some Pop requests. One Compact is certainly enough for the sound levels we want, and we get compliments all the time on how natural the sound is.

If it's just the Piano and the Piano player singing, the mic and piano both go directly into the Compact, and I usually bring a very small Bass amp. If we add a Singer, that means one more mic, so I use my Allen Heath ZED-10FX for all channels and feed that into the instrument input on the Compact. Lately, I've been plugging the piezo pickup from my Upright Bass into the mixer too (High-Z input channel, and HPF filter on), which works great for the little amplification I need, and eliminates the Bass amp. The Compact handles all this easily, and gain is only set to about 11 o'clock.

We did play a much larger room at a different Club a while back. Added 2 more singers and a Guitar, all plugged into the mixer, so I used both of my Compacts. As I walked to the back of the room, the sound certainly tapered off, so there are limits, but I didn't hear a complaint. And no floor monitors...yay! The Piano player says it's the best sound he's ever had. I'm very happy with the Allen Heath mixer, BTW....great price/performance.

So my larger PA with two Bose 802-III speakers and a Mackie 808S has been totally idle for most of the past year. Hmmm.... I"m thinking of selling that PA plus one Compact and getting two Model 1S setups. That way the single Compact works for the smaller gigs, but I have the reserve power for outdoor gigs and full-on Latin band gigs.

Hope this helps....Lyle
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
We did play a much larger room at a different Club a while back. Added 2 more singers and a Guitar, all plugged into the mixer, so I used both of my Compacts. As I walked to the back of the room, the sound certainly tapered off, so there are limits, but I didn't hear a complaint. And no floor monitors...yay! The Piano player says it's the best sound he's ever had. I'm very happy with the Allen Heath mixer, BTW....great price/performance.

We loved our Compact so much, we bought another one so we could perform in Stereo or dual Mono if needed. Yes, the sound drops off less distance than our L1 Model2 "but, we are not playing Yankee Stadium. And Oh....by the way...we also liked our Allen & Heath zedfx10 mixer so much we also bought another one of them just for rehearsals.

Compact are simply awesome in the right venue and size room.

Aj Casali
Class Entertainment
"music is neither new or old...it just "is"
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Lyle,

How big is your Club? I'm hoping that you can give others a sense of how large a space can be well serviced by a single Compact.

Did you get a couple Model 1S systems? How are you liking them?

ST
BigEarz
Participant
Registered since

Feb 23, 2014

The layout of the rooms at my Club is given in my 9/15/14 post in this thread. I certainly need no more than one Compact in the "Lounge".

Thinking back now to the larger gig we played in my 5/30/15 gig, the two Compacts made it ok, but I could have used more heft to get to the back of the room.

I used my two Bose 802-III speakers on stands and a Mackie 808S powered mixer for an outdoor gig for 300+ people, with both my Irish band and a Jazz combo. That setup always works fine for that gig, but my gut says the two Compacts would have been straining.

When money loosens up, I'd still like to sell the 802/Mackie setup and one Compact, and probably get two Model 1S units (with two B1's?). If I do the "Bose math", two Compacts = 200 people, and two 1S's = 600 people. Accuracy of that headcount aside, I'd still cover my most frequent gigs now with one Compact, and use the 1S's for a gig three times as large.

Hope this helps...Lyle