Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Two S1 Pros vs 1 S1 Pro and an L1 Compact...

I have one each -- an S1 Pro and L1 Compact. I've been digging the S1 Pro so much, I'm thinking of getting another and moving away from the Compact.  Some of you guys have a lot of gear and multiple S1 Pros.  So what do you think?  Give me the pros and cons. Would two S1 Pros daisy-chained do as well as one S1 Pro connected to a Compact? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Two S1 Pros vs 1 S1 Pro and an L1 Compact...

Hi Archtop Eddy,

I have a couple of S1 Pros and a couple of L1® Compacts. Here's what I did to understand the difference in sound, dispersion and performance.

In a large room (bigger than 1500 square feet if possible) or better yet, outdoors.

• Set up the L1® Compact and then put your S1 Pro on a stand at the same height beside, and about 6" behind it - both of them facing the same direction. The idea is not to block the sound directly to the side of the L1® Compact.
  • Set the S1 Pro without reverb, and the tone controls straight up (12:00 o'clock).
  • If you have a way to switch the signal from your rig from the S1 Pro to the L1® Compact and back again quickly, set that up.  You may need to have a friend help you with this (the switching part).
  • Put a long cord on your microphone.
  • Now turn up the S1 Pro as loud as you can go without distortion.
  • Turn up the L1® Compact as loud as you can go without distortion.
  • For each position described below:
    • Sing loudly and listen to the sound.
    • Switch back and forth between the S1 Pro and the L1® Compact as quickly as you can.
  • Stand directly in front of both units - from as far away as you can get from them - at least 30 to 40 feet. Sing, listen, switch.
  • Now walk around to the side so you're 90 degrees off-axis as far away as you can get - again at least 30 to 40 feet. Sing, listen, switch.
  • Try the same tests with some recorded music. If you have some recordings of you performing, try those too.
  • If you have a stomp box or percussion, try that as well.
  • If you are most likely going to use the S1 Pro on the ground in the tilt-back position, then put it on the ground but leave the Compact fully extended. Repeat all the tests.

If I remember correctly, you have vocal effects and guitar processing in your rig, so the reverb in the S1 Pro isn't a factor in this comparison. That's why I had you turn it off.

What do you hear?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks ST for the quick response. I'll have to find someplace to try the comparisons you suggest above.  Meanwhile...  I had a Eurika! moment this morning:  Sell off some of my other non-Bose amps and buy another S1 Pro. This way I can keep the Compact as well!

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Eureka indeed!

Every time Bose comes out with something new, I have an opportunity to sell a bunch of stuff that didn't work as well.

ST