Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

UPS recommendation

Bose product name L1 model 2 w 2 B1 base

Country USA

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices L1 w T1

Often use in outside venues w questionable power outlets. Want get a UPS w surge to prevent damage if circuit overloaded or breaker trips.

Patio seating 100.

solo performer or karaoke or just PA for MC of 5K/10k.

What size UPS recommended for 5-10

for runtime of L1 & T1

3 REPLIES 3
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Re: UPS recommendation

Hello ftyminski,

As far as I know (which isn't necessarily a lot 😄) , there are no specific Bose recommendations regarding UPS units.  There have been a couple of posts here and here discussing it in this forum, but I haven't seen anything conclusive.  The discussions also touched on surge suppression vs. power conditioning vs. generators.

There have been recent questions about runtime with the newer battery power sources, like the Jackery line of products.  Battery recommendations and run times will vary depending on volume.

I used a lot of APC and TrippLite UPS units with computers in my previous life, but never tried them with my L1's.  If you go that route, you'd want a model where you can turn off the annoying "beep on power loss" feature.  That could really ruin a performance!

Good luck in your search!

ftyminski
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Thank you. Have you been able to determine the input power requirements for the L1? I know Bose does not publish "watt" range the amplifier output.

Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Hello again ftyminski,

User ST did some calculations for an L1 Model II with various options, as he was researching battery-powered portable power stations.  He posted his findings on his Wordpress site.

The draw varies with the volume of the system -- the highest number I noted at 100 SPL with a Model II, two B1's, and a T1 mixer was approximately 186 net watts.  This didn't include any other devices, such as pedals or amp modelers.

However, in this post in the "The Bose Professional Portable PA Encyclopedia", the consensus was to budget at least 1000W per system (750W for the Model II, 100W for the T1, plus overhead.)  Also, forum user Cap noted that with a generator setup running two Model II's, DJ equipment, wireless mics, and other outboard technology running approximately 60% capacity, that his peak draw was 6 amps.

I'd probably go with the 1000W number for planning purposes.

Anyone else have any input or experience for the OP?