Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

USB-B to PC

Is the USB-B to PC port outputting the same mix / sound as the Ethercon / analogue jacks?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Re: USB-B to PC

Hello ScubaBadger,

The signal from the USB-B to PC port is the same mix.  The control of the amount of signal sent to the USB-B is handled differently on a T1 vs. a T4S/T8S.

• On a T1, the master volume controls the overall signal going to the USB-B as well as the master / Ethercon outputs.
  • On a T4S or T8S, the signal going to the USB-B is controlled only by the channel volumes, whereas the signal going to the Ethercon / 1/4" / XLR outputs is controlled by the master volume.  I.e, you can mix the channel volumes and have a signal going to the USB-B port, and turn the master volume all the way down and have nothing going to your L1, F1, or S1.

I did notice that my perception of the mix was different depending upon how I was listening (just as with any source):  Playing back through headphones seemed different than through the PC speakers, but through my L1 Compact sounded exactly like I'm used to.

Does that help?

Fish

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Fish, ScubaBadger.

Here are a couple of notes to add to the comments provided by Fish above.

The mix from the USB to PC is the same as the sent to the ToneMatch output and Analog output when the USB to PC setting is set to Master.

There is no reverb in the USB to PC output on the T1.

From page 30 of the T1 ToneMatch® Audio Engine Owner's Guide (62 pages)

T1 No Reverb from USB.gif

Work Around

1. Hard wire Master Output to Channel 4 input
  2. Channel 4 Aux Level 100% | Tap: Pre
  3. Channel 4 Vol off (Mute too to be safe but not critical)
  4. Prefs: USB to PC set to Aux

ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

I was wanting to record to a computer a live performance via the USB-B which now really would only seem useful for DJ’s.

There is zero attraction to recording my live performance with a dry channel, I want the full package recorded.

Does the output from the analogue ports carry full signal including reverb?

The work around I am struggling to get my head around as the first instruction seems to be to create a loop?

Basically I want to record what I hear through the PA, I can’t add reverb to a vocal in a composite recording.

What would justify putting it together in this way?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Thanks Fish

i too have perceived differences between what is coming out of the L1 stack and what’s being recorded (putting reverb aside).

i can’t get my head around the fact the mix that sounds great coming out of the L1, is not the mix I hear when played back - as you say, different levels.

I think for recording and live streaming purposes I’m going to have to ditch the T4 and use something else.

Frustrating as **** as at the moment with lockdown I’m streaming to several groups and the mix is utter **** through the USB.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

The words cancelled with asterisks were “* * * * “ and “* * * *” which got auto hidden and bearing in mind both are four letter words I thought I should explain that I don’t use the other four letter word/s that are the bad ones.

Hope no-one is offended with my milder terms - 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Bose T1 outputs.

USB is Left & Right signal out Full Mix and will send mix to PC recorder

Master Out is Full Mix

Ethernet Out is Full Mix

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Hi ScubaBadger,

I echo your frustrations, however, I have had a lot compliments on the sound quality of both Facebook Live and recorded-for-later videos from both smartphone and desktop watchers.  I did a lot of tests and mixed for an acceptable compromise, knowing that my wife and I were the only ones hearing the L1, and everyone else was hearing the direct mix.

Also, if you're using a T4S rather than a T1, the reverb will pass through to USB, but like the channel volumes, I really had to set the level much higher than I'm used to.  (I'm using a T8S, but I'm sure the reverb pass-through is the same.)

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Thanks Dish, that reverb pass through scenario is weird.... The makers saying it won’t users saying it does.

i wonder if the analogue out jacks are full and replicate the signal to theL1 without any crazy deviation?

PM me your livestream link, love to watch if I’m permitted...

I think in the current climate BOSE should open up a live stream on Facebook for L1 users it would demonstrate a lot of kit usage all over the world. Not your know screen stars but normal every day entertainers at home.

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

Thanks, How are you able to connect to Mac Book Pro for Facebook live with T4s? I connect with the Usb cable and it was not great sound.