Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Unit placement

All drawings I've seen have it placed behind performer and centered on a wall.

I'm going to a room where the only place to set up in in an angled corner of the room. Should I place it flat on one of the walls, or can I angle it in the corner and put performers in front?
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Unit placement

Hi Francis J Tyminski,
Thank you for joining the Forum.

quote:
Originally posted by Francis J Tyminski:
All drawings I've seen have it placed behind performer and centered on a wall.

Yes, and that is the recommended approach.
quote:

I'm going to a room where the only place to set up in in an angled corner of the room. Should I place it flat on one of the walls, or can I angle it in the corner and put performers in front?

I have found the putting a B1 in a corner tends to cause a perception of too much bass, especially if you are standing close to the corner.

Depending on how far out from the corner you put the L1® things can sound fine, or not. I try not to put an L1® deep in a corner if I can avoid it.

Here is what I have did on one corner stage.

What I should have done was moved the B1s out of the corner.

I didn't show it in the picture I but I should also have moved the B1 at centre stage, out to one side.

Here's a link to the full story behind the pictures above: Gig Report / House Concert Fundraiser .

Do you have an L1® Compact, Model I, or Model II.

How wide, and how deep is the stage. Can you give us the dimensions of the stage?
How big is the room?
How far away from the stage.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Thanks. L1 Model II w two B1
Room is small 4 car barn.
Can't get totally along any flat wall, gotta be corner.
I can push out into room from corner. Three mikes.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Francis J Tyminski,

I understand that you going to be in the corner so I'd encourage you move in toward the center of the so that you are not buried in the perception of exagerated bass.

If you have time to get a longer B1 cable, that would be a good investment. This would give you the flexibility to position the B1s away from the Power Stand when you have a challenging environment like this.

I got my longer B1 cable at http://audiopile.net

Details here: Longer Cables for the B1
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Thanks. Since the two modules must be "chained" how would the modules be placed?
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

ST,
Thanks again. How far out should the L1 tower be from the corner? In your picture would I leave one B1 next to the L1, then use the longer cable to move the second forward to the left or right?
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Francis J Tyminski,

As far as "how far out" I can't give you an exact distance, but I would probably want to be at least 8 feet from the corner if you can.

I would keep the two B1s together (stacked probably) and connected by the short blue Bose B1 cable. I would use the long cable to get from the Power Stand to the stack of B1s.

There's not much to be gained by separating the B1s. You could end up with about -3dB less bass, but you would probably cause some issues (don't worry about the details - just keep them together).

Does that help?
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Yes, and thank you.
BTW, have you figured a better way to mount the T1 to the tower? I found it too wobbly and it fell off once when the inputs were all loaded.
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Francis J Tyminski,

quote:
Originally posted by Francis J Tyminski:
Yes, and thank you.
BTW, have you figured a better way to mount the T1 to the tower? I found it too wobbly and it fell off once when the inputs were all loaded.

I always strap (at least one of) the cables to the cross bar. Usually I use the velcro tie strap on the T1® ToneMatch® cable (or the T1 ToneMatch® Audio Engine Power Supply cable because the connector that goes into the ToneMatch port locks securely.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

It's a shame they didn't use a standard camera mount setup. There are so many tripods and pivoting mounts that attach most anywhere! I'm considering a large velcro loop mat under the T1, and a corresponding velcro hook mat on a camera mount.