Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emil_Gronvall
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2021

Use 2x Bose l1 Modell 2 with ONE bass module?

Hi!

I have two of the Bose l1 modell 2 with B2 bass module.

Is it possible to use my two systems together but Only use 1 of the B2 bass module?

How should it be connected then?

4 REPLIES 4
Dylan_R

Re: Use 2x Bose l1 Modell 2 with ONE bass module?

Hi Emil,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining us.

There would be no issue using a single B2 bass module with two L1 Model II systems, as low frequencies are not very directional. If the low frequencies in your master mix are panned centrally, you can connect the B2 to either one of the L1 Powerstands. 

Hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply. If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Emil_Gronvall
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2021

Ok, thanks! So you mean I just connect one B2 sub to one system as usual, and just leave the other system without a sub? The B2 sub only have one input and no out, so there are not many connection options in this case.

I saw the new Bose SUB1, it has 2 in and 2 out, more possibilites on that one for connection.

Mixer out L/R to sub input L/R, and then from sub out L/R to each bose system input.

What do you think?

Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Hello Emil_Gronvall,

In your original post, were you asking if there was a way to connect a B2 to both L1 Model II's simultaneously?  If that was your question, then the answer is no (as you discovered, there's only one connector.)  The B2 is a passive speaker (no internal amplifier) designed to be used with the L1 Model II or 1S, which supplies 250 watts to the "Bass Module Out" jack.  The L1 has an internal crossover, sending anything above 200 Hz to the tower section and below 200 Hz to the bass module.

I am curious why you would only want to use one B2, when you have two systems.  Is using the second B2 too loud?  Do you need more room in your vehicle to transport the second B2? Is there not enough room on stage?  Are you a DJ running stereo, or musicians performing live?

If using two B2's is too loud, you can decrease their loudness by setting the +/Normal/- switch on the back to the "-" position.  This provides performance equivalent to the smaller B1 Bass Module.

If you don't have the space to transport two B2's, you might consider picking up one or more B1 Bass Modules.  You can use one or two B1's with each Model II in place of the B2's.  NOTE:  The B1 has two connectors on the rear -- those are for "daisy chaining" two B1's together on one system.  You MUST NOT daisy-chain a B1 to a B2, or connect two L1's to the same B1 Bass Module at the same time, it will damage both systems and the speaker.  The "Bass Module Out" Speakon jack on the Model II is a 250 watt amplified circuit, not a signal output.

If stage space is limited, you can obtain longer cables so you can place the B2's slightly farther away from the towers.  They must be four-conductor cables with four-conductor NL4 Speakon connectors.  A handy source is the dealer Audiopile.

If you are a DJ running stereo to two L1's, but only using a B2 with one of them, the sound might seem imbalanced, or you might not hear some source material if the music has stereo effects in the low registers.  If you are using the L1's for a live band as front-of-house PA speakers, and sending the the same mix to both systems, you may get away with it, although listeners closer the system without the B2 might think it sounds "tinny".  If you are using the L1's as originally designed (one for each live musician) then the user without a bass module will be very disappointed.

As you discovered, the powered Bose Sub1 (and larger Sub2) does have two-in and two-out and can be connected as you described, mixer L & R to the Sub, and out to the L1's.  You would set the Sub's Line In EQ to "L1" and the Line Out EQ to "HPF".  This would enhance the EQ balance between the Sub and the L1's, and send only the higher frequencies to the towers (and thereby keep the unconnected bass module amplifier inside the L1 with little to do.)

Does that help?

Emil_Gronvall
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2021

Hi Fish-54!

Thank you for a really informative answer!

Before I had my bose systems I used a PA containing 2 active speakers and 1 active sub.

I just wanted to know If I could do the same connection with 2 bose system with only 1 sub. Sometimes I play at places where I don´t need so much power.

But I think I will stick to use 1 system with 1 B2 sub on smaller places and use 2 systems on larger places with 2 B2:s.

I think that will be the best way to go

Thank you for clarifying everything!

//Emil