ScubaBadger
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Use channels 3&4 for music input?

Hi

As the T4S came out with a missing volume control knob for the music input channels 5/6, is there any known reason why I can't use microphone channels 3&4 for music input.

I have tried once, but the music sounded muffled and a little mute so had to revert to normal inputs.

If I can use channels 3&4 for music input I would not only have control over general volume - I would have individual left and right control, or twin mono feed to 2 x L1 units in different rooms to flex volume as needed.

Thanks folks, this is such a valuable resource...

Cheers

Dave

20 REPLIES 20
Dave_Hazel
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

Re: Use channels 3&4 for music input?

This is another area where the T4s falls down. It is somewhat ironic that it is called a "Stereo Mixer" and one that is aimed at solo performers. It is very common for solo performers to use audio backing tracks and given that the T4s is called a 'Stereo Mixer' one might expect it to have at least one fully controllable stereo line input! The closest you get to that is feeding stereo audio in the USB-B but then as you have now discovered, you either tolerate and make do with it being stuffed straight to Master out or you consume 2 of its 4 input channels. Or for an analogue stereo input, you have no choice other than to use 2 input channels.

I use my T4s as a conventional 4/2 (4 input channels, 2 track output), I do not use it as a 'stereo' mixer, therefor the audio media into 3/4 suits my setup. But its unlikely to suit most users configurations.

Given its intended market place and the fact that its called a "Stereo Mixer" it should have a balance control on the Master out and it should have at least one genuine stereo line in with its own level and balance control.

PDilorenzo
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Please explain the T4s 5/6 lacking volume control? I used audio backing tracks and was considering upgrading from the T1 which I love. It’s not the same setup as the T1? 

Dave_Hazel
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

Patrizia posted:

Please explain the T4s 5/6 lacking volume control? I used audio backing tracks and was considering upgrading from the T1 which I love. It’s not the same setup as the T1? 

Yes it is the same 'almost' except that because its stereo you will need 2 channels instead of 1 to achieve the same thing (I think).

On the T1 you would route USB-B to 5/6 which would sum the stereo into mono and then control the level with channel 4.

On the T4s you would route USB-B and USB-A to 5/6 this gives you control of the left and right stereo on channel 3 and 4.

NOTE... you cannot change the routing of USB-A as such but it does follow USB-B which you can route.

It does appear that you can route both left and right USB-A and USB-B to just one of the 2, in other words you might route left and right to 6 giving you level control on channel 4 but I would assume this results in your backing tracks being summed to mono?

By the way.... if you are thinking you might use the in-built USB-A player, there are folder access restrictions. Limitations regarding the type of WAV file it will play and there is no way to stop it from auto-playing the next track in the list other than using the 'pause' button. There is no 'stop', 're-start', skip forward or skip backwards like you might expect of a digital music player. It's VERY basic.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Dave, (ScubaBadger)

ScubaBadger posted:

Hi

As the T4S came out with a missing volume control knob for the music input channels 5/6, is there any known reason why I can't use microphone channels 3&4 for music input.

I have tried once, but the music sounded muffled and a little mute so had to revert to normal inputs.

This WILL work if the signal you provide to each channel (3 and 4) is mono. If you supply a stereo input to any one channel, the balanced connection will tend to cancel any sound that is panned up the middle. 

Please see this article.

T4S with backing tracks

If I can use channels 3&4 for music input I would not only have control over general volume - I would have individual left and right control, or twin mono feed to 2 x L1 units in different rooms to flex volume as needed.

Thanks folks, this is such a valuable resource...

Cheers

Dave

Cheers,

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Patrizia,

Patrizia posted:

Please explain the T4s 5/6 lacking volume control? I used audio backing tracks and

T4S channels 5/6 are auxiliary inputs. They route the signals directly to the T4S main outputs. The only processing available is pan control and level. These are soft controls (accessible throught the menus).

The auxiliary inputs are best for sources that have their own volume and tone controls.

Please see this article for ideas on how to use backing tracks with the T4S.

T4S with backing tracks

was considering upgrading from the T1 which I love. It’s not the same setup as the T1? 

The biggest upgrade going from the T1 to the T4S is STEREO. From what I recall of your setup, you don't use stereo.

There are a few more differences for you to consider.

T4S Comparison to T1® ToneMatch audio engine

ST

PDilorenzo
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Hi on my T1 I have this setup - with the other 3.5mm end to an iPad - using L1 mod II

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Patrizia,

Thanks for the picture. If you get a T4S here are a couple things you can do:

1. Use the same cable and connect it to T4S Channels 3 and 4
    OR
  2. Set your iPad to Mono and connect only one of the 1/4" plugs to channel 3 OR 4. This will work because you are running mono).

Either way, you can then control the volume using the channel volume controls, and you can use ToneMatch Presets, zEQ, ParaEQ, on the backing tracks. You can also apply Effects and Reverb but it's not likely you will do that.

ST

PDilorenzo
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

So by using channels 3&4 on the T4 that would be stereo? The T1 doesn’t have stereo ? 

Dave_Hazel
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

Patrizia posted:

So by using channels 3&4 on the T4 that would be stereo? The T1 doesn’t have stereo ? 

That is correct.