Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 19, 2019

Using 2 L1 compacts or 1 L1 S1

I have a L1 compact system. With a T4s mach mixer. Works great. I'm considering buying a second one for coverage and stereo. I was also considering  buying a  L1 S1. More power obviously. More speakers in the array. Thus more throw. So is it better to use 2 compacts or 1 L1 S1. I have an acoustic guitar duo no vocals. I can go either way. I know the L1 S1 is a little more to carry but that's now a big deal. I am happy with the compact and maybe it would be cool to have two of them on opposite sides. The arrays are suppose to give wide dispersion of sound. So is two over kill or would one works as well....Opinions.....

Smitty

2 REPLIES 2
Advisor
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: Using 2 L1 compacts or 1 L1 S1

Hi Smitty,

It is not clear in your post if you are talking about a L1s or an S1 Pro, but let me make just a couple of comments. You can clarify if you feel the need to.

I am a firm believer in one L1 system per performer whenever that is feasible. By purchasing  a second Compact you can each have your own system. The advantages are localization, less opportunity for feedback, and in a worst case scenario a backup should one go down.

You have the choice of using the T4S or not. If you use it with two Compacts I would recommend using it in stereo to separate your and your partners audio to individual units.

If you were speaking of the L1s as an option it has a couple of advantages over the Compact. the two primary ones that come to mind are greater coverage and lower frequency response. Disadvantages are the more mics and instruments you put in a single system the more opportunity for feedback. With a single system you will lose the localization opportunity of two Compacts.

O..

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 19, 2019

Re: Using 2 L1 compacts or 1 L1 S1 follow up

Follow up....well We played yesterday outdoors. Both of us went through 1 compact and it sounded great. it was easy to balance our playing because we were coming from the same source. That being said having two. One to my rear left and another on her rear right could give us more coverage. I'd think having both of us coming out of one combined system as opposed to each of us coming out of our own individual system would be more efficient . I understand having 1 and having the array spread out over the 180 degrees is the concept. I would place it behind us. But if we had to crank up the volume..Like if we were playing outdoors. I see a feedback situation. especially if mics were involved. I'm not talking about on opposite sides of the stage mind you. I'm talking about 3-4 feet behind us. I ruled out the possibility of buying a L1S1.For us it would be too much speaker. The compacts worked perfect. So in conclusion Yes I'm going to pursue a second compact system. i've seen some great deals for used systems from Guitar Center. Small venues...use 1 with it behind us 3-4 feet. Bigger venues bring 2. 1 behind her to her right behind 3-4 feet the other behind me to my left 3-4 feet.. I have a T4 and a T8 mixer. occasionally we have various guests and having the extra channels is needed. Mics, guitars......the good thing is the bass player would use his own amp and not go through the system.