Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khucdu
Registered since

Jan 16, 2009

Using Direct Boxes with L1 compact

Hi all,

I just have this crazy thought. I have two L1 compacts that will be used as FOH. Can I use direct boxes to get line level signal from the L&R of mixer's master outs into the XLR input on the Compacts? Since the XLR input takes microphone level, I hope this would be OK. The Direct Boxes are passive and need no additional power.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Khucdu
1 REPLY 1
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Using Direct Boxes with L1 compact

Hi Khucdu,

Good to hear from you again.

Basically - I would NOT use the Compact Channel 1 XLR inputs for a line level signal from a mixer. This input is designed to accept a microphone AND it has ToneMatch® Processing optimized for vocals.

You will get a much better match for signal levels, and signal processing if you use Compact Channel 2. You will want to set the ToneMatch Switch to "Live Level" (down position).

Note that this IS a balanced connection. ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve.
quote:
Originally posted by Khucdu:
Hi all,

I just have this crazy thought. I have two L1 compacts that will be used as FOH. Can I use direct boxes to get line level signal from the L&R of mixer's master outs into the XLR input on the Compacts? Since the XLR input takes microphone level, I hope this would be OK.

You can probably set the trim low enough it that it might work, but there's no need to go through all the conversions to get a balanced signal.
quote:

The Direct Boxes are passive and need no additional power.

It looks like the goal is to get a balanced connection from the mixer to the Compacts, and as noted above, Compact Channel 2 IS a balanced input. If you have a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve balanced output from your mixer, then run that directly to Compact Channel 2
quote:

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Khucdu

Does that help?