Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Re: Using T1 Tonematch to run FoH and monitor

Hi ST

Just to thank you for your tips once again.

I did a gig tonight using my L1M2 and took the S1 along as a monitor, it wasn't a big venue but I wanted to have a play around with the AUX settings on the T1 and see how it worked out, and I am pleased to announce that it was great.

I placed the L1M2 FoH and set the levels as I usually do, then I popped the S1 down and faced it toward me in monitor position, I flicked the Tonematch settings off and ran from the AUX of the T1 into channel one of the S1, then I set each individual level routed through to the AUX, the vocal (channel one) was at around 55%, the guitar (channel two) was at 45% and the backing tracks (channel 4/5) were at 40%.

I got a pretty decent mix for monitoring purposes without having to manipulate the FoH sound.

So it looks like I've finally learned how to set the AUX thanks to your tips.

I did notice that for some reason on my T1 channel three routed to the AUX didn't seem to have any function, the level was at 50% and the output was on dry, I couldn't seem to adjust them so I'm not sure if this is maybe a fault with the mixer or something I'm doing wrong.

One final thing and one of which I have never tried but often wondered about.....

I know I can run my iPad with backing tracks direct to the L1M2 power stand.

If I were to try this method to free up an extra channel on the T1, would I need to use a stereo cable from the iPad to power stand or a stereo to mono jack?

Does the power stand convert the signal from stereo to mono or does it play as stereo?

Presumably I would set the power stand at around 12 o'clock and adjust the volume on the iPad.

There probably isn't anything to be gained from doing this as using the T1 channel 4/5 works fine and it does allow me to make adjustments on the fly but I have wondered how it would work using the iPad to power stand route.

Have you had any experience using the L1M2 this way?

Geoff

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Using T1 Tonematch to run FoH and monitor

Hi Geoff,

Geoff posted:

Hi ST

Just to thank you for your tips once again.

I did a gig tonight using my L1M2 and took the S1 along as a monitor, it wasn't a big venue but I wanted to have a play around with the AUX settings on the T1 and see how it worked out, and I am pleased to announce that it was great.

Terrific!

I placed the L1M2 FoH and set the levels as I usually do, then I popped the S1 down and faced it toward me in monitor position, I flicked the Tonematch settings off and ran from the AUX of the T1 into channel one of the S1, then I set each individual level routed through to the AUX, the vocal (channel one) was at around 55%, the guitar (channel two) was at 45% and the backing tracks (channel 4/5) were at 40%.

I got a pretty decent mix for monitoring purposes without having to manipulate the FoH sound.

So it looks like I've finally learned how to set the AUX thanks to your tips.

It sounds like you understand the Levels concept.

I did notice that for some reason on my T1 channel three routed to the AUX didn't seem to have any function, the level was at 50% and the output was on dry, I couldn't seem to adjust them so I'm not sure if this is maybe a fault with the mixer or something I'm doing wrong.

Dry - the only thing you can control is the Level.

https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/images/5/52/T1ManualP26AuxRouting.pngNext time try Post After Fader

One final thing and one of which I have never tried but often wondered about.....

I know I can run my iPad with backing tracks direct to the L1M2 power stand.

If you're happy running through T1 Channel 4/5 - keep doing that.

If I were to try this method to free up an extra channel on the T1, would I need to use a stereo cable from the iPad to power stand or a stereo to mono jack?

Does the power stand convert the signal from stereo to mono or does it play as stereo?

Presumably I would set the power stand at around 12 o'clock and adjust the volume on the iPad.

No, the L1 Model II Power Stand Analog Input is balanced mono. It doesn't convert stereo to mono.  Connecting a stereo source to a balanced mono input doesn't work.  For details see: Can a stereo signal be used with the L1 Analog Input.

There probably isn't anything to be gained from doing this as using the T1 channel 4/5 works fine and it does allow me to make adjustments on the fly but I have wondered how it would work using the iPad to power stand route.

Have you had any experience using the L1M2 this way?

Geoff

If you're happy running through T1 Channel 4/5 - keep doing that.

ST