Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

Using a second system w/ wireless remote

I recently purchased the Phonic W-5 wireless speaker unit to use with my Bose® L1 setup, but I'm not at all sure it is the best option.

Here is the layout for the event:

I will be at Pittsburgh's PPG Aquarium. There is an upper level area (lots of glass and water, of course), and then a long curving ramp down to the lower level near the gift shop and other exhibits.

The lower level is where the main locus of tables/guests will be, and that is where the dance floor will be located as well. I will set up my Bose® L1 Model II with two B1® bins for this level.

On the upper level, the client says it is a line of sight from the lower level, about 150' from the main setup. He will have a few tables there, and the cocktail hour will be up there.

There will be about 150 people there altogether.

I am planning to set up my Bose® L1 Compact system on the upper level for the cocktail hour and to spread the music across both levels throughout the event.

I'm not sure that using hundreds of feet of cable is an option, so I turned to the Phonic W5 system as an answer. However, when I set up my system here at home with the W5, I found that when I moved the receivers towards the L1 Compact system (on a lower level and outside of the house), there were dead spots, and I lost the signal completely.

I discovered that the location for the L1 Compact was VERY limited, as it was difficult to maintain a signal from the transmitter unless I set it up in a "hot zone" for reception.

Is there a way to plan for this event that will put my mind at ease? Right now, I'm worried that I'll get there and discover that there is not a good reception on the upper level from the lower level, and then I'm screwed.

Advice please! 🙂
7 REPLIES 7
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

Re: Using a second system w/ wireless remote

Can you scout it? I haven't been there in a long time, but it's close enough to me to get there within an hour. I'm in Westmoreland County (Irwin). Take an ipod with wires to hook up to Phonic and the compact. See if it works for you. Need help, drop me a line.
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

I use the W5 too, but haven't tried a long distance yet. Phonic had advised me to try changing signals by pushing the RF button. Maybe that will help with the dead spots.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

Thanks, Packman. My first concern is whether the elevation difference will matter. It's supposed to be "line of sight" but will it broadcast "up" a floor?

I suppose I can try to squeeze in a visit just to see if the signal from the W5 transmits; I wouldn't even need the speakers for that.

I'm hoping, though, that someone here on the board will have had some more extensive experience with the Phonic system and can tell me about that.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I have not had the chance to use the phonic through walls or other levels. But, one of our djs has a Shure PGX bodypack series, not sure of the exact PGX model he has. But he has used that on different floor levels and says he has not had a problem with it.
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

I have used a phonic system that went up a floor. Worked without a problem. The transmitter and receiver were only about 20-30 feet apart, but it worked up a floor with no problems.
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

If you go to the phonic site, they have an area you can pose questions to their tech support.
shawnmirpuri
Registered since

Aug 3, 2010

Has anyone tried the wireless setup with Anchors ALB-40?

I have 2 compacts and a Model 1. I am thinking about using it on the compacts for background fill at the end of the room