Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slead
Participant
Registered since

Jun 3, 2021

Using the line-out from the Bose S1 Pro as input to MacBook Pro

Hi there,

My question is similar to https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable-PA/Connect-S1-Pro-to-MacBook-Pro-and-record-vocals-using-Gara...

In my case I wish to take the line-out from the S1 Pro and use it as input for a Zoom recording on a MacBook Pro.

Can I take a 1/4" male TRS plug and convert it to a 1/8" TRRS male plug, for input into the MacBook's headphone/mic socket? My plan is to use these two products to achieve this:

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 12.16.26 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-04 at 12.16.57 pm.png

Do you know whether this will work? Many thanks

Bose product name: S1 Pro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Re: Using the line-out from the Bose S1 Pro as input to MacBook Pro

Author Accepted Answer selected by slead

Hello slead,

This cable combination will not work well with your MacBook Pro.  The line out jack on your S1 Pro is a balanced audio (+ and -) signal, and the input jack on your MacBook Pro expects stereo audio (left and right).  This would result in a very "hollow" sound, if any, as the two out-of-phase signals cancel each other out.

Here's a great link explaining how to do it properly (although you will input to to your MacBook's  left channel only):  S1_Pro_Line_Out_to_a_Third_Party_Device 

Also note, the line out signal from the S1 Pro could very easily overdrive the MacBook's input, causing distortion.  You might be better served by obtaining a small stereo mixer to feed to your MacBook Pro.  

Does that help?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Author Accepted Answer selected by slead

Hello slead,

This cable combination will not work well with your MacBook Pro.  The line out jack on your S1 Pro is a balanced audio (+ and -) signal, and the input jack on your MacBook Pro expects stereo audio (left and right).  This would result in a very "hollow" sound, if any, as the two out-of-phase signals cancel each other out.

Here's a great link explaining how to do it properly (although you will input to to your MacBook's  left channel only):  S1_Pro_Line_Out_to_a_Third_Party_Device 

Also note, the line out signal from the S1 Pro could very easily overdrive the MacBook's input, causing distortion.  You might be better served by obtaining a small stereo mixer to feed to your MacBook Pro.  

Does that help?

View solution in original post

slead
Participant
Registered since

Jun 3, 2021

Many thanks!