Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
White_Diamound
Registered since

Mar 2, 2017

Using to much Eq with a sm 58 and tone match

Hi Guy's,

I'm having problems with the low mids in my vocal mic mix, I'm using a sm58. I find i'm using to much eq to achieve a normal cutting mic sound in a simple acoustic guitar and vocal mix.It seems like the B2 is the problem,.Im cutting 7 db"s at 100 hz and something like 8db cut at 250 hz on the para eq. The thing is, I’m finding myself using too much eq to my taste, and worried about losing some tone quality (Harmonic distortion, and phase caused by too much Eq….) losing quality in sound that the Bose speakers are known for…. My problem I think would by less drastic if I could use the hi pass filter at 100 Hz in conjunction with the sm 58 eq line preset, but that cannot be done, if I use the 80hz hi pass filter I cannot use the sm 58 preset? Is there a way to get an update for the T1 that allows us to use the Hipass filter with the sm58 preset? My version of t1 is: Dsp firmware: 1.8, Bose presets: 1.1, Bose scenes: 1.1, Am I up to date? By the way the Sub is at its lowest setting.Would the B1 be more appropriate for a acoustic duo; 2 vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion ( Djembe, congas) The system excels as a playing back music device, but for a vocal  Pa, i'm having  problems. Acoustic guitars sound fabulous. Vocals to muddy or to sterile. I've tried different mic's; sm 58, sm 57, audio technica, akg 414...Same problem, the 414 condenser was the nicest one to use but feedback issue is worrying me...Sorry for the long post...Would appreciate some help.

3 REPLIES 3
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Using to much Eq with a sm 58 and tone match

Hi White Diamond,

Thank you for joining the Community. I'm glad you're here.

I think that there's already lo-frequency attenuation or a hi-pass filter in the ToneMatch® Presets for Handheld microphones. Bose hasn't published the details but I think that Cliff-at-Bose mentioned this at a conference some years ago. I'll dig around to see if I can find a reference. 

The ToneMatch® Presets for Handheld microphones set the zEQ centers for Lo, Mid, Hi specifically for vocal frequencies. Have you tried working with the zEQ?

Setting that aside, it seems odd that you're having the same problem with all the microphones you've tried, but other inputs are fine.  Have you tried using a different T1® channel for the microphone?

About the B2... are you having this overpowering bass in different locations? If you don't more the B2 around, then I'd try putting it in a different position in the room.

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi White Diamond,

I realize that I missed some points.

White Diamound posted:

My version of t1 is: Dsp firmware: 1.8, Bose presets: 1.1, Bose scenes: 1.1, Am I up to date?

Yes, all up to date on the T1®. Does the sound change when you change the B2 switch from + to Normal to - ?

By the way the Sub is at its lowest setting.

Confirming - you have the B2 switch in the - position 

Would the B1 be more appropriate for a acoustic duo; 2 vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion ( Djembe, congas)?

Using the B2 on the - setting should be fine.

I have both B1s and a B2. I don't take the B2 when a B1 will do. The B1 is easier to transport.

For an acoustic duo with percussion, I would use a B1 for an indoor audience.  For a large audience or outdoors, I might take the B2.

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi White Diamond,

Please check that you have sound coming from both the top and bottom halves of your Cylindrical Radiator®.

Thanks,

ST