Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Vocal Microphone Presets - Close Microphone Technique

spun off from Trying to get the best vocal setting

Hi Kevin (Litesnsirens),

quote:
Originally posted by Litesnsirens:
I hope this isn't to late to be helpful. I have found with the sm58's and the beta 58's that the presets are a little too bright and the body is a bit lacking...

Typically, how far are you from the microphone. As a matter of interest, all the vocal microphone Presets are based on using close microphone technique.
7 REPLIES 7
Litesnsirens
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2010

Re: Vocal Microphone Presets - Close Microphone Technique

Hi ST, I have used close microphone technique since long before the L1's were even invented and I do find that it is even more crucial with the L1 system and I ensure other vocalists using the system understand that it is necessary to use this technique.

It's possible I am being too picky, and as you can see my Eq'ing is very subtle so when I say the preset is a little to bright and the bod a bit lacking I mean a "LITTLE" too bright and a "BIT" lacking. I find these subtle adjustments really bring it home for me and all the vocalists that I regularly play with which is about 6 in total. So 6 is really still only anecdotal but the settings are worth a try at least for someone wanting to warm up their vocal sound.
And for the record it's not that I totally dislike the presets with the zEQ zeroed out. IT's very clear and articulate, and at lower volumes I find it works very well for helping the vocal cut through without boosting levels, but getting up to typical gig volumes I just prefer the eq settings that I have described. It staves the onset of feedback and to me makes the vocal less bright and a little more musical.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Litesnsirens,

I don't think you are being too picky. You've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into finding settings that work for you.

It's great that it takes so little tweaking to get things where you want them. For me, back in the days before the Presets it used to take a ridiculous amount of effort to get anywhere near close to what I wanted to hear. It was exhausting and by the time I was finished I think that ear-fatigue was probably nullifying the work. I'd come back to it later and wonder what I was thinking.

I also tweak the Presets and the extent to which my settings may be (a very little) different than yours is probably a reflection of our different applications and the characteristics of our different microphones and voices.

I've appreciated the attention to detail and care in your posts.

Thank you.
Litesnsirens
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2010

Thanks ST, I always find it helpful to read your posts. I think if it wasn't for you and some of the other contributors I would still be in the dark ages when it comes to using this system. While I still have tons to learn about using it, I am at least having very pleasing results due to what I have learned so far. (and of course due to it being a great piece of gear).
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Agreed.

I use an Audix OM5 and it's preset.
With my Classic L1, I usually ran flat.
Now with Model II, I generally knock of 1.6 or more on hi end, and .6 on the lows.

Still, the OM5 preset is a pretty good starting point.
I'd rather roll-off than have to add, thereby adding noise (hiss) as well.
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

Yes, that whole "a little too bright and a little lacking" is pretty much what my VoiceLive2 does. The vocals we hear everyday on the radio are anything but a "natural" representation of a singing voice. And I'm not even talking about the use of Autotune. Compression, EQ, de-essing all contribute to a sound that is anything but unaffected and natural. But, that's OK because that's what we're used to!

I think singers in general make far too much use of the proximity effect in cardioid mics. It's actually quite annoying, IMHO.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

The Heil PR20 & PR35 have NO proximity effect... meaning your voice does not get bassier the closer you get to the mic.... just thought this was worth bringing up, since you are talking about "singing close".
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

When creating the presets for the ToneMatch technology, extreme effort was made to insure natural, realistic sounding vocals with little or no additional eq. The reason for many different vocal presets is that different mics have different responses.

For those mics with significant proximity effect the act of creating the preset, nullifies that proximity effect when the mic is used as recommended, close. The mic is the same but, the preset eq, being disigned for close use and natural sound, reduces the bass response when the lips are close to the screen.

When I first got the L1, I was using, and had for many years used a Shure SM58. Moving in and out of the "proximity range" of the mic had been part of what I did. It was very hard, initially, for me to make the style changes that were neccessary in order for me to enjoy the benefits of the L1 systems.

It is still possible to utilize the proximity effect of a particular mic, if that is what suits one's style, but, you have to make eq adjustments while backed off the mic a couple of inches for your natural voice then as you move closer you will get the warmth of the proximity effect.

If eq adjustments are made for a natural sound with lips touching the mic screen and you back away any more than a couple of inches, mics having significant proximity effect will quickly lose their luster.

Mics that don't have significant proximity effect (just like those that do) can still lose up to 20dB by just moving back a couple of inches. That in itself can be more crippling to a performance than slight tonal changes.

Mic make and model, singing style, eq settings, satisfaction, are the results of a careful and well executed dance to get each of the components to suit the singer.

Staying close to the mic seems to me now to produce the best, and most consistent results, regardless of the chosen mic species.

O..