billybass
Registered since

Apr 18, 2004

Vocals only?

Hi,
I play in a country/rock band. While I can see the advantage of an all-PAS solution,I am considering trying the PAS for vocals only to start. Keep in mind that we are all "children of the 60's and are set in our ways. We're not willing to (at least at this point) give up our Marshall/Ampeg/Fender amps. Also, since I'm the only guy in the band with a wallet. Our biggest problem is with the PA. We don't use a sound man and spend too much time futzing around trying to hear ourselves and getting a good mix. All four of us sing and I was thinking about using two L1's, with two Shure SM58's in each. My questions are these:
1) Is one enough with a mixer?
2) Do I need a B1 for vocals only?
3) We are sometimes prone to "GPS" (niether of our guitarists have entered a six step program)...will the PAS prevail?
4) If I do use two L1's with B1's can I mike the drums through a small mixer and use one of the line inputs?
5) How does the PAS system perform in a classic club setup with the "cubbyhole" stage?
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I go, but I'll probably just have to try it to know.
Thanks....Bill
21 REPLIES 21
Not applicable

Re: Vocals only?

1) Is one enough with a mixer?

You can certainly start with one, but with two you'll get a really nice "Aural Panavision" effect, as I call it, and the vocals will "open up" across the stage.

2) Do I need a B1 for vocals only?

You may not miss a B1 "in the mix", but with the vocal by itself you might.

3) We are sometimes prone to "GPS" (niether of our guitarists have entered a six step program)...will the PAS prevail?

If they don't want to use modeling amps, I would encourage the guitarists to at least install "beam blockers" on their amps. They are made by Weber (www.webervst.com), and they really stop the "beaminess" of guitar amps from ruining the mix, whether a band uses the Bose system or not. Beam Blockers are $15 for each speaker in the amp. Also, encourage the guitarists to play at a volume that compliments the whole sound of the band; "support the singer or soloist, then when it comes time for a guitar solo, let 'er rip, just don't play so loud that it blows the gig for the rest of the band". This goes for all musicians in the band.

4) If I do use two L1's with B1's can I mike the drums through a small mixer and use one of the line inputs?

Yes.

5) How does the PAS system perform in a classic club setup with the "cubbyhole" stage?

On space-challenged stages, you'll have to get creative about placement, but it will be worth the trouble.
eggman
Registered since

Feb 19, 2004

Bill - from our experience and that of many other happy owners on this forum, I think the only way to get the full PAS experience is to buy the number of units you need (one per musician) plug them in, use them, and put your other equipment away. You have a 45 day free trial - ride them hard and then figure out if you are going to keep them. Don't go half way. Took our skeptics less than an hour to overcome their GPS.

As for your wallet - I believe you can get 12 month 0% financing from Bose (I got 12 month 0% from Guitar Center) so total capital outlay for the test period is minimal. Then if you like it - pay it off over the ensuing 11 months!

Minimum - get two and use with your mixer. Problem is you will probably still futz around with this setup more than if you had four. I can't say enough about the directionality of the sound when on stage. With two units you will lose out on some of that.

Get them with 1 b1 for guitars and vocals and 2 b1s for bass and drums and vocals.

You could put the drums through a small mixer - even the drums vocals and go into one channel of the bass PAS - thereby limiting your purchase to 3 PAS systems. That's what we do - but our drummer now wants his own PAS!

Not sure what you mean about cubbyhole - but if you are tucked in a corner somewhere the sound still blends well and fills the room. Just be aware of pointing all the PAS more or less striaght out instead of at each other.

There's my two cents.

Eggman
Dogs In The Yard
Chuck
Participant
Registered since

Mar 29, 2017

I am not familiar with the term "GPS" and since I am a guitarist mayde I should also know about beam blockers! Whats "GPS"? Thanks
troberts
Registered since

Jan 21, 2004

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck:
I am not familiar with the term "GPS" and since I am a guitarist mayde I should also know about beam blockers! Whats "GPS"? Thanks

Hi Charles -

For a great post by Steve-at-Bose on GPS go here:

http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=8206048934&f=4286020764&m=7666018755&r=1966018755#19660187...

TLR
Chuck
Participant
Registered since

Mar 29, 2017

Thanks, I appreciated reading the 6 step program. Recently, I was early for my set-up and when I turned on my amp (actually on more than one occasion), I heard the volume that I had been at when we quit! This has put me in 6 step program.
Last Saturday I was on a small stage and I was behind a person sitting on a stool and I could hear my guitar with more than enough volume and a reference person (whom I trust), kept after me to turn up the volume until I could be heard out front; I could not believe how loud I had to be.
I am presently trying out my PAS at home for the right "tone" under the 6 step program. Thank again Chuck Smile
billybass
Registered since

Apr 18, 2004

Well I bought two PAS/B1 systems. All four of us sing and they performed admirably. Even late into the evening, when GPS had firmly set in, our vocals cut right through, crisp and clear. For anyone who's apprehensive (as I was) you can believe all that is posted here.
Steve-at-Bose_3
Registered since

Oct 2, 2003

I'm glad that the 6-step GPS program is helping. I hope you tried the "spin the amp" demonstration. I bet after trying that, not only will you be working on getting your stage volume down but you'll be more concerned about your tone than ever.

Enjoy making music.
sherwood
Registered since

Sep 3, 2004

Hello, regarding vocals... we'll use four PAS with two b1s each and run instruments and vocals through. Would it be better to mix all the vocals ( 4 singers ) through all four PAS or just one voice into each individual PAS,
from a standpoint of blend &
using the same effects ? Additionally the instrumentation is bass guitar, electric-accoustic guitar, Yamaha s90 synth & percusion instruments. It would seen that some instruments take up more speaker space ( i.e. Synth & bass guitar )and their vocals might suffer if only going through their individual PAS. Am I correct ? Thanks, Sherwood
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Sherwood,

All the best information in this forum says one voice per PAS whenever possible. If each vocalist is performing in front of or near their own PAS then what the audience hears matches what they see.

Oldghm