Feb 14, 2012

Volume issue? or is it me?

Hi....looking for some advice...

Setup

L1M2B2 with T1

F1 812/F1 sub x2

Also have T8s and T4s and Behringer XR18

and 2 S1 Pros

Performers:  Duo to quartet with backing tracks; two guitar; two vocals; add drums / bass; mostly one acoustic, one electric guitar, two vocals ipad backing tracks

Typical setup: L1M2B2 w/T1 for up to about 150 guests [for dancing]

over 150, either bring out:

Setup A) F1 812/Subs [one stack per side] with XR18

Set up B) L1M2B2 one side; one F1 stack other side

S1 Pros used for Monitors.

For Setup A - traditional PA setup; F1 stacks up front; S1 Pro monitor, sometimes use aux send for subs; typically mixer to sub to top

For Setup B - main CAT5 out to L1M2B2, main out to F1 sub/Top; aux out to S1 Pro

Issue:  Seem to struggle with volume out of F1 system.  All gains are all set correctly - never an issue with L1M2B2.  F1 systems are set at between 1230 and 1 oclock; mixer output is at unity or slightly above......same mixer setup with different speaker cabs [for ex, Yorkville paraline], system is significantly louder.  Additionally, F1s seem to trip red quite often - backing off volume reduces red, but obviously, lose volume out front. 

Any thoughts or advice?  Anyone else experiencing same situation?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Volume issue? or is it me?

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the detailed description of how you have things set up.

Roger Cortina posted:
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

For Setup A - traditional PA setup; F1 stacks up front; S1 Pro monitor, sometimes use aux send for subs; typically mixer to sub to top

For Setup B - main CAT5 out to L1M2B2, main out to F1 sub/Top; aux out to S1 Pro

Issue:  Seem to struggle with volume out of F1 system.  All gains are all set correctly - never an issue with L1M2B2.  F1 systems are set at between 1230 and 1 oclock; mixer output is at unity or slightly above......same mixer setup with different speaker cabs [for ex, Yorkville paraline], system is significantly louder.  Additionally, F1s seem to trip red quite often - backing off volume reduces red, but obviously, lose volume out front. 

Any thoughts or advice?  Anyone else experiencing same situation?

When you are not using the Aux fed Subs approach, try connecting the mixer output to each F1 Model 812. Then take the F1 Model 812 line out to the F1 Subwoofer. This way you can pick up some clean gain for the F1 Subwoofer. 

Also, it sounds like you can turn up the volume on the F1 Model 812 systems

Here's an excerpt from an article about the F1 Model 812 inputs.

Volume Controls and Signal / Clip lights

Typically you will want to set your source (usually a mixer or T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine or ToneMatch Mixer[1]) to the maximum you can without clipping. On a mixer this may be shown as unity or 0.

When setting the Volume Control on the F1 Model 812 you can turn up the Volume Control until you see solid red, and then turn it down a little. Occasional red flickers (up to a second long) are okay. This may start to happen at -5 dB before clipping or with transient peaks. You will see these to warn you when you are approaching clipping. If you see solid red then you may be clipping.

It is completely fine to turn up the Volume well beyond 12:00 o'clock if you need to.

After you have found the maximum volume available you can control the system volume at the source. You probably won't have to change this setting on the F1 Model 812 unless you use a different source.

You won't damage the system if the red lights are visible. The internal limiter will protect the system. You can tell when the limiter is working. The yellow limiter light will come on.

Does that help?
ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 14, 2012

Hi ST, 

Thanks,  I've reviewed that article many times.....I am reluctant to turn the volume on the F1 up too high...... based on other products I've had in the past, 1 oclock seems to be a good max.......

but, I can give it a try again...I'll set the F1 at a higher level, and control from mixer.....however, when I use an L1M2 on one side and the F1 on the other side, it just 'appears' the L1 is so much louder....and in my mind, it shouldn't be...

roger

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Roger,

The behaviour of the F1 Model 812 SIGNAL/CLIP light is different than on some other Bose Portable PA equipment.  Flashes up to a full second indicate you may be approaching clipping.  You can push up the volume until you see solid red on the LEDs, then back down a bit.

Also, the limiters are sophisticated and will protect the systems. In other words, feel free to turn up the volume.  If you don't hear a problem, you probably don't have one.

ST