Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Volume level for Microphone

@troubador posted:

@Chet You hit the nail on the head! I went with ch.1 on the S1 only because I had a TRS cable right next to me and was too lazy to go look for another. Also, I had my T8S plugged into ch.2 of the S1 and was too lazy to remove that.

I figured it would be easier to pan hard right since it was just an experiment with hooking up the 1002B.

It might be an interesting experiment to hook up the vocals (panned one way) to one channel of the S1 using the TRS cable and try panning the guitar the other way and use a TS (unbalanced) guitar cord from the other channel of the mixer to channel 2 of the S1 with just the guitar signal. 

See if you can get enough guitar level to match the vocal level by doing that.

Again, gain staging is important or as I learned it "Signal Path" -- making and following your gain settings from the source to final destination.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Interesting idea ?? 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

@Chet posted:

It might be an interesting experiment to hook up the vocals (panned one way) to one channel of the S1 using the TRS cable and try panning the guitar the other way and use a TS (unbalanced) guitar cord from the other channel of the mixer to channel 2 of the S1 with just the guitar signal. 

Again, gain staging is important or as I learned it "Signal Path" -- making and following your gain settings from the source to final destination.

@CityFolk said it best: interesting idea. I'll play with it just to see how it goes. Thanks, @Chet

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

@Chet posted:

Hi Chet ... I didn't hook the mixer to the S1 (my better half was busy at work) so I used headphones. Mic was panned right and guitar was panned left. I was able to get a balanced sound - VU meter was hitting yellow occasionally on both sides. It made for an interesting sound since the signals were split on each side (right and left ears).

I'll try it out on the S1 when I can to see how it sounds.

No gigs so I might as well futz around with all this to experiment. I will likely get a second S1 (perhaps a birthday gift to myself!) and am itching to try the stereo effect (which I understand to be mic on one S1 and guitar from the second S1 - hope I've got that right).

Cheers,