Kjellarn
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Volume too low with Shure SM58

Hi!

I unpacked a Bose S1 Pro today (alongside my L1S/B2/T1) planning to use it at a small gig on wednesday. But I am disappointed with the volume on the microphone (Shure SM58). I have tried different inputs and settings. The guitar sound great and with lots of headroom, but I have to crank the volume almost to maximum to get (to my ears) a reasonable volume from the Shure.

(I have ordered  a Sennheiser e945, thinking it was a better mic than the SM58 (which is OK) but I'm getting second thoughts about that. I won't have it before wednesday anyway.)

So, can anyone help with my volume problem? Am I missing something?

Regards

Kjell

38 REPLIES 38
Tim-MK
Registered since

May 30, 2018

Re: Volume too low with Shure SM58

Are you using XLR cable into the S1, or a jack?

we love Beta58 mics, but look at the specs for output levels on your various purchase options.

Kjellarn
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

I am using an XLR cable. 

Yendor
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Kjellarn posted:

Hi!

I unpacked a Bose S1 Pro today (alongside my L1S/B2/T1) planning to use it at a small gig on wednesday. But I am disappointed with the volume on the microphone (Shure SM58). I have tried different inputs and settings. The guitar sound great and with lots of headroom, but I have to crank the volume almost to maximum to get (to my ears) a reasonable volume from the Shure.

(I have ordered  a Sennheiser e945, thinking it was a better mic than the SM58 (which is OK) but I'm getting second thoughts about that. I won't have it before wednesday anyway.)

Regards

Kjell

I have the same issue. I have tried my AKG and Audio-Technica mics with the same result. I ordered the below-matching transformer, that basically converts from mic level to line level. I does help greatly. I currently run my S1 with this, or also run a Yamaha MG06X mixer, with a 12-volt rechargeable battery pack. A little extra setup, but works and sounds great. Gives the S1 added preamp on both mic and instrument and allows increased hookups.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AUD-CP8201

ccc1
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Get a mic pre-amp set your mic level and use the pre to raise the levels of the mic. Or you could use the mixer where you have an independent volume level for the mic and a master to raise the total balance up or down.

Yendor
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Kjellarn posted:

Hi!

Regards

Kjell

I might add we use headset mics, so limited on mic selection. Saves from dragging a mic stand along. Considered a battery-operated wireless headset, but what I'm using now works. I'm considering selling my other equipment (Fishman 330X, Yamaha Stagepas 600i, etc.) keeping a QSC CP12 as reinforcement, and ordering another S1, but wondering if Bose might correct a few issues with the S1 with an S2 release?

Marty C
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

Yendor posted:
Kjellarn posted:

Hi!

Regards

Kjell

I have the same issue. I have tried my AKG and Audio-Technica mics with the same result. I ordered the below-matching transformer, that basically converts from mic level to line level. I does help greatly. I currently run my S1 with this, or also run a Yamaha MG06X mixer, with a 12-volt rechargeable battery pack. A little extra setup, but works and sounds great. Gives the S1 added preamp on both mic and instrument and allows increased hookups.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AUD-CP8201

When using the Yamaha MG06X, are you running the mic (right) out to the S1 Pro channel and using the mic tone match.? 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Kjell,

Kjellarn posted:

Hi!

Please check out this article that explores and explains

S1 Pro System: Microphone volume vs. Guitar Volume

Regards

Kjell

A microphone with a higher sensitivity than the Shure SM58 will help. So will a mixer with a line-level output.

ST

Marty C
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

Now using a Sennheiser 935, but looking to adjust volume and eq at my feet - and something I can power with a battery.    

Odd, however that the tonematch was created for an SM58?  

John_Ronna
Registered since

May 26, 2018

It appears the low impedance input gain is not optimized for the output level of a typical dynamic microphone.  Not to defeat the purpose, the best thing you could do is use a portable mixer, stereo preferred, feeding 2 S1 Pro's (this would be an awesome portable PA).  You will have the capability to adjust gains correctly, have more channel inputs, and have stereo output capability.  You can do the same thing with 1 S1 Pro, using a mono output from the mixer.