Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 27, 2018

What L1 to buy, and how many

I have a small 4 person group.  Two guitars, 1 bass and drums.  We play at small clubs and bars (less than 200 people) and rarely outside.  I play electric lead and acoustic guitar. My electric is a magnetic and piezo setup (Carvin SH6 dual output) and I also use a electric/acoustic piezo only guitar.  The second player sings and uses a Carvin AE185 (dual output electric and acoustic). Both of the guitar players run two cords out of our guitars.  Each to our own separate electric and acoustic amps.  The bass player runs direct to his bass amp, and the drummer three mics running into another bass amp.  We are not currently running through any PA system.

My goal is to: 1) Simply the setup and eliminate most if not all amps. 2) Reduce stage volume, 3) Reduce the stuff we have to lug around, 4) Provide a better eq mix. 5) Better monitoring for the band members.

I was thinking of getting two L1 Model II’s,  two B2,s and to T2’s. There would be 9 inputs.  Member 1: 1 vocal, 2 guitar.  Member 2: 3 guitar. Member 3: 1 bass. Member 4: Three mics for drums.

From a budget and sound standpoint, would three L1 model 1’s better than running it all though the two model II’s?  Any other options that I might want to think about? (Compact or model 1S?)

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Re: What L1 to buy, and how many

Are you running stereo for your guitars? Are you currently using a 2 Channel DI? Are you plugging into the amp directly through line input?  One amp or two for your dual output guitar?  Are you currently using a small mixer for a DI and channel balancing?

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 27, 2018

The Carvin output has two jacks.  I hook one up directly to an acoustic amp, and the other to an electric amp.  I can then switch back and forth between electric and acoustic, or blends the two together.  The guitar player/singer has a similar dual amp setup.

Currently no mxer at all. That’s part of the issue, of course.  It’s been many years since I last played gigs (70’s and 80’s) so my thinking started out old school when looking for a mixer.  Big mains, subs and monitors.  But, the more I looked into it, the more I wanted to go small.  Less stage noise for my advanced years (LOL), and the ability to mix without a dedicated board guy.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

I run stereo out into a seperate pre for my (Stereo) Trace Audio Amulet  and sun rise pickups. I have a small mixer which I connect along with effects and take that out thru my DI out to the FOH setup. You have a lot of mics and guitar inputs. Unless your guitar has a switch you might consider an a b switcher for your guitar that way you can cut back on the physical switching. Gig Rig sells a nice Guitar switcher which is quiet. I am not sure what your direction is with your downsizing dilemma, most still use a pa and a board and the rest connects to the board type of thing.  So my question is what do you want to eliminate first to condense?

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 27, 2018

I would like to eliminate the current acoustic amps ( 2 of them).  One runs the only singing mic and one guitar.  The other is just for a single acoustic guitar.  So, two acoustics would go into into one T1 along with vocals.  I currently have my electric running though a RG1000 board, and into my tube amp.  I could mic that, but I would like to try and go direct from my RG1000 (models off, effects only) into the second T1 with perhaps some drums and the bass on that T1 as well.  My thoughts were to use the T1 Tonematch instead of a mixer.  The other option would be to use a small mixer, and out out that to the L1’s, without a Tonematch.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

there are many ways you can go so only you know what sound you are looking for but I would first step my guitar down to one speaker. Your two lines - I still am unclear if your one guitar has two seperate pic-ups or two seperate lines  from one pic-up-  there are pres which plug into an input jack on guitar that allow you plug both of your lines into it and then you can blend the signals into one jack, I believe they can be either 1/4 inch TRS or XLR. You can get a guitar switcher that allows your guitars to be plugged into it and by pressing the footswitch you switch from one guitar to the other regardless of acoustic or electric. Still those outputs have got to go somewhere a pre, mixer, switcher, with a DI out to go two a main board. If you intend to have two separate systems like two players and two mics into one speaker system then you are still looking at some mixer for all to plug into and the output would be whatever speaker of your choice. I can not speak to the T4 or T8 I do not use them. 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, The Edge,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.

Here's what I got from your description.

-- click image to make changes to the live version --

Legend:
L1® Model II or L1® Model 1S
T4S 25x25T4S ToneMatch Mixer

L1® System
Blue filled numbers are Channel connections to/from the ToneMatch® mixer

Quoting The Edge from The Sketcher
I was thinking of getting two L1 Model II’s, two B2,s and to T2’s.
There would be 9 inputs. (10 inputs?)
Member 1: 1 vocal, 2 guitar.
Member 2: 3 guitar.
Member 3: 1 bass.
Member 4: Three mics for drums.

I count ten inputs.

ToneMatch Mixer One to L1® Model II with B2

1. Vocal microphone
  2. Guitar Magnetic pickup through amp modeler/pedal
  3. Guitar Piezo pickup
  4. Kick Drum microphone
  5. Aux Input 1: Drum microphone
  6. Aux Input 2: Drum microphone

ToneMatch Mixer Two to L1® Model II with B2

1. Guitar Magnetic pickup through amp modeler/pedal
  2. Guitar Piezo pickup
  3. Acoustic Guitar with Piezo pickup
  4. Electric Bass

I have replaced the electric guitar amps with amp modelers. I'm not specifically recommending the Line 6 Helix, but if you were to use those, you could run each or your two outputs from your Carvin guitars through separate signal paths.

I haven't shown all the detail, but you could run each guitar in stereo. I'd run mono, so each guitarist is heard through only one L1®. There are compelling benefits when you do this. See Cocktail Party Effect.

Note: Using the Aux inputs for the drum microphones will require using impedance matching transformers (under $20 each).  There are several approaches to this, and we don't need to get into that much detail right now.

Using this kind of setup - you will have total control over the stage volume for the guitars.  The drummer may need to exercise some constraint.

That's a first pass at this. What do you think?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 27, 2018

That is exactly what I am looking for.  I like the Line 6 Helix, but I currently have a HD500x and a Digitech rp1000.  The HD500x has a aux in and that I can use for the acoustic (along with the regular guitar in) , and the unbalanced 1/4” left and right to two T1 inputs would work.  I would love to get a Helix though... The Digitech is less versatile, but I like the tones better.  The impedance  matching transformers for the aux in on the T1.  Do you have any recommendations?  I am not familiar with them at all.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, The Edge,

I'm glad that all made sense.

Something like this should work.

Impedance Matching Transformer

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 27, 2018

Thank you very much!  Maybe there are some tricks this old rocker can learn.  I will be getting the first L1 M2 this week, and if all goes well, I will order another.  I will keep you posted of my progress!