Dec 13, 2013

Re: What are you doing with your extra time these days

Hi ST,

thanks for the slight insight into the "ST behind the scenes life." 

ST posted:

Hi, Tony.

It's great to hear from you.

Same here ST.

I know that my posts have become rarer over the last year or so. I still regularly look at what's happening here, but the focus seems to have moves over to the S1 Pro which I don't possess, so I can't give any advice in this area. The same goes for the F1's. Whenever people ask about universal problems where collected experience over many years can be helpful to the members here I'll try to help, but regarding product-specific questions there are many out there with "hands on" experience. I thought I'd just explain my "rarity" as a poster here.

In the days before LCD screens were the norm, I cobbled together a computer workstation out of three of these Ultimate Support keyboard stands.

The result looked a lot like this.

Things are much simpler now with a Surface Studio 2 driving a 55-inch curved monitor slightly above and behind it.

Now I can really relate to this part of you my friend. It fits in with the picture of ST I've envisaged with all the suggestions you've made here over the years. Very ingenious.

I seem to have been pretty close with my "Matrix" imagination, especially with the 3 green screens in the middle of the picture  .

ST posted:

At the end of the driveway, I cross the street and it looks like this.

That's beautiful ST. When I think of Vancouver, I think of the City and built up areas. You're lucky to be able to call something like this "home". How far is this outside the city centre?

If you can see your footsteps ahead of you

When I look ahead and recognize my own footsteps on the path, it's time to strike out in a new direction.

Looking at this picture I'd say you've got plenty of time before your own trail becomes a beaten path  .

Focus on the trees

These days, I'm trying to shift my focus from the trees.

ST

Looking at this picture your camera's focus is still on the trees. The blossom in the foreground is slightly out of focus. Just mentioning   .

I hope that life in these uncertain times treats you as well as can be expected. That goes for all the people visiting our community here.

Be safe,

Tony

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Hi,

should anyone see that I've deleted a reply it was because it was sent twice due to a glitch with my WiFi. Just so that you know.

Tony

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Sam Spoons posted:

Caravan is in Anglesey right on the coast of Holyhead bay, site closed for the duration from last Monday.

Lovely part of the world Sam. One of the things I've always missed here is the proximity of the coast. I lived on the Morecambe Bay estuary before emigrating in 1977. 

The Flash is closed too but I brought the Blaze home so can do some fettling and bimbling (carbon fibre mast boom and racks need a repaint) and it's here for when things start to open up again. 

Well that's probably one good thing for all of us resulting from the social proximity clampdown. We're finally "forced" to do some of the things we've been putting off for far too long  

I wish yourself and your wife health and safety in these difficult times. 

Take care,

Tony

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

@CityFolk

Glad you liked the post. I've just looked up your Postal Code. It made me think of one of the songs I play with my acoustic trio by maybe the singer/songwriter who's influenced me more than any other.

Apparently his time in England brought about homesickness and a longing to return to where he and his siblings called home in their childhood days. I'm sure you'll know which song I mean. It's one of my favourite songs to play and sing. 

"Carolina in my Mind" by James Taylor.

Here's a link which you might find interesting.

James Taylor "Carolina in my Mind" - song facts

Here's a link to James playing the song live at the BBC in 1970

James Taylor Carolina in my Mind live at the BBC 1970

If you enjoyed that you may enjoy the whole concert. I keep going back to it for several reasons. It's intimate and James Taylor is just so down to earth and natural. Here's a link to the whole concert.

James Taylor live at the BBC on 16.11.1970

Just one more thing comes to mind as I've just had a look at your homepage. As you make music with your family (my wife is part of my trio and a multi-instrumentalist) you can at least continue practising and having fun whilst isolated. I also love the fact that you also have a double bass.

Hope life is treating you as well as can be expected.

Take care,

Tony

JFd
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 22, 2008

Bonjour!

It's been a REALLY long time since I posted here. But I do read and enjoy your exchanges. It's always been one of the most patient and supportive forums I ever read.

• I have been hosting a weekly Open Mic at the Mariposa Café in Montreal for quite a few years and have been working on a way to continue online. We usually accommodate over 20 performances between 19:00 and 22:30 (2 songs or 10 minutes, whichever comes first)
  • We did a test run on Monday with Skype, and it seemed to work. Second test run tonight (Thursday) to get the people used to the interface and muting their Video camera and Microphones...
  • Overall good results and a lot of fun.

• I have also tried a 60-minute Facebook Live show called "14 songs for 14 days" on Wednesday (Video "14 songs for 14 days"). Some small glitches, but overall "good fun was had by all".
  • Technical stuff:
    • Taylor 310CE guitar
    • Blue EnCore300 microphone
    • Both connected into a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3
    • Porchboard Bass
    • All connected to T1 Tonematch
      • Input 1 - Microphone.
      • Input 2 - Guitar.
      • Input 4/5 - Porchboard Bass
    • T1 connected to Laptop through USB
      • USB -> PC = AUX
      • The reverb is provided by the VoiceLive 3 since the T1 does not transfer its reverb through the USB connection.
    • L1 Model II used as local monitor
    • OnSong sheet music App on iPad, placed just under the laptop camera
    • Airturn BT-105 pedal to "Start/Stop" and "Page Down" on OnSong.
  • Planning a second 14-song live show in 14 days...

Stay well!

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Tony.

Seagullman posted:

Hi ST,

thanks for the slight insight into the "ST behind the scenes life." 

ST posted:

Hi, Tony.

It's great to hear from you.

Same here ST.

Stanley Park in downtown Vancouver looks a lot like my pictures, but of course, I don't live in the middle of the park. I'm on the edge of a smaller but similar area, several kilometers away.

Focus on the trees

These days, I'm trying to shift my focus from the trees.

ST

Looking at this picture your camera's focus is still on the trees. The blossom in the foreground is slightly out of focus. Just mentioning  .

Yes, that was the point of the picture; missing the details for the trees.

Best wishes.

ST

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

@JFd

Bonjour JFd,

nice to see you posting here again. I think we had a few exchanges here quite a while back now. I've a feeling I commented on the guitar in your picture as it looks like a Godin (would be fitting coming from Canada, and apparently the french speaking part). 

I have a Godin Multiac SA which I really like.

JFd posted:

Bonjour!

It's been a REALLY long time since I posted here. But I do read and enjoy your exchanges. It's always been one of the most patient and supportive forums I ever read.

I feel exactly the same.

• I have been hosting a weekly Open Mic at the Mariposa Café in Montreal for quite a few years and have been working on a way to continue online.

Sounds interesting. I've just had a look at the Website. I like the look of the cafe. I'll bet the live evenings are nice affairs.

• We usually accommodate over 20 performances between 19:00 and 22:30 (2 songs or 10 minutes, whichever comes first)
  • We did a test run on Monday with Skype, and it seemed to work. Second test run tonight (Thursday) to get the people used to the interface and muting their Video camera and Microphones...
  • Overall good results and a lot of fun.

It sometimes does take a while getting used to new things. They sometimes get in the way of what we do automatically. But live is live and sometimes even mistakes can be entertaining (like when you did your "14 songs for 14 days" which I've just had a quick glimpse of, and you were "surprised at what your looper was doing. I found that that was funny in a good way.

• I have also tried a 60-minute Facebook Live show called "14 songs for 14 days" on Wednesday (Video "14 songs for 14 days"). Some small glitches, but overall "good fun was had by all".

As I've just mentioned, I had a quick glimpse at the video. You have quite a mixed repertoire. I'll try to watch it in full. 

• Technical stuff:
    • Taylor 310CE guitar
    • Blue EnCore300 microphone
    • Both connected into a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3

I too have a VoiceLive 3. With the looper and separate channels/effects for guitar and vocals I find it extremely versatile.

• Porchboard Bass
  • All connected to T1 Tonematch
    • Input 1 - Microphone.
    • Input 2 - Guitar.
    • Input 4/5 - Porchboard Bass
  • T1 connected to Laptop through USB
    • USB -> PC = AUX
    • The reverb is provided by the VoiceLive 3 since the T1 does not transfer its reverb through the USB connection.
  • L1 Model II used as local monitor
  • OnSong sheet music App on iPad, placed just under the laptop camera

I got OnSong last year and am now starting to put my repertoire into it. I'm doing it all by hand again which helps to learn some of the lyrics and also gives me all the possibilities OnSong has to offer which I couldn't necessarily access by transferring some of the PDFs from my Notebook. 

• Airturn BT-105 pedal to "Start/Stop" and "Page Down" on OnSong.

I have a Page Flip Cicada which a friend of mine gave to me as she wasn't using it any more.

• Planning a second 14-song live show in 14 days...

Good luck with that although I'm sure you don't it. Your "audience" seemed to really enjoy your concert.

Stay well!

Take care of yourself too JF,

Tony

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Hi ST,

ST posted:
Stanley Park in downtown Vancouver looks a lot like my pictures, but of course, I don't live in the middle of the park. I'm on the edge of a smaller but similar area, several kilometers away.
It looks beautiful, but I've read that Vancouver is one of the places to live

Yes, that was the point of the picture; missing the details for the trees.

Yes many people can't see the wood/forest for the trees .. 

Best wishes.

ST

You too ST

Tony

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

I actually meant to add "It looks beautiful, but I've read that Vancouver is one of the places to live" in the whole world.

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Hi @Seagullman / Tony,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and links! James is also one of our favorites as well. He is so down to earth and such a pro. His voice is soothing and he plays such a variety of songs. Carolina In My Mind is one of our favorites as well. We love songs with a good story behind it. I’m definitely going to listen to that BBC concert. You’ve reminded me that I should be watching more music videos.

It is nice indeed to still be able to play music at least as a duo. Our daughter who plays bass with us lives nearby, but obviously with all this sheltering in place we can’t get together for now. She was rather tall for her age when growing up, She loved basketball so when it came around to middle school, the orchestra teacher assigned her the upright bass as she was the only one who could reach it! ?? Good thing for us as it’s been a real gift to share music as a family our other children love music as well. Our oldest daughter was a voice major in college, but she lives in Virginia now, but we see her often as that’s not that far away.

To try to uplift spirits, we played a concert off our front porch the other day  to maintain social distance which was wonderfully gratifying. For the neighbors as well as us since all of our near term performances have been cancelled like everyone else’s. I think the aspect that is starting to weigh on us is the uncertainty we are all facing. If it’s not our health, it’s what will happen to the economies of our respective countries and our financial situation. Two different types of survival! ??

All we can do is to continue on as best we can taking things day by day. And of course play music. 

Stay safe and healthy!