Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickNZ
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 13, 2006

What could cause audio drop? L1 MII/B2 with T1

Hi all,

First time out with the Model II a few weeks back, I had a number of audio outages - just a few seconds at a time. It cuts clean, comes back on clean - no pops or thumps. Problem is when it happens, I've never been fast enough to see what the T1 or power stand lights are doing.

First time it happened, it was a few times in one night. I blamed the digital cable from the T1 to powerstand. But tonight, it happened again - just once, but it's a new cable.

It's a brand new Bose system, although the T1 is reconditioned (I got it overseas and it's been checked/serviced locally).

Tonight though, I was pushing it possibly a bit hard, but would that cause it to die?

My set up:
Stanton DJ mixer running analogue line out into ch 4/5 on the T1
L1 running off the digital cable from the powerstand.

Tonight, I was running dual mono. Audio on BOTH L1 units died.

I'm reasonably confident it's not my mixer or DJ player because I didn't have any problems with the old L1 system I was running.

What would cause an audio drop out like this?
29 REPLIES 29
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

Re: What could cause audio drop? L1 MII/B2 with T1

Hi

I had the same thing happen with my Model2 one night....and it happened upon my introduction before 400 people. Entrance music cut out for about 5 seconds and then came back on and was fine the rest of the show. Since then it has been fine but I always and nervous when I use my Model2 and bring a comnpact backup just in case. I think the Model2 has a few bugs in it relating to "roadworthyness". Just my opinon. Not Bose bashing here. I love my Bose but simply feel from experience owning 3 Bose Systems that every one of them has had a problem which was "fixed" and returned.

Aj
classEntertainment
"music is neither new or old..it just "is"
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Nick,

I'm sorry to hear about the audio drops.

There are a few things that could cause this.

Let's check things out:
  1. Are you using the stock B2 cable? (the blue one that came with the B2?)

2. Did you have more than one bass module attached to the Model II Power Stand (e.g. B2 plus a B1)?

3. Is there even a remote chance that you got the two power stands connected to the same bass module (I've been there, done that, and had exactly the same symptoms you had).

4. Can you get the unit to do this at your location? Push it hard.

It's unlikely that it's a problem with the ToneMatch (digital cable).

quote:
Originally posted by Nick from New Zealand:
Tonight, I was running dual mono. Audio on BOTH L1 units died.

Two Model II units or Model II plus _____________?

Were they running from the same power source?

Was there anything else on the same power circuit? (any that could draw large amounts of power?
NickNZ
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 13, 2006

As always, such a detailed investigative response from you ST - thank you so much in advance. 🙂

1. Stock Bose "B" cables, although they may have been from my original B1s (same cables, just longer).

2. One B2 per power stand.

3. One B2 per stand, and the most recent occasion was two powerstands (dual mono) running 6 ft apart, so no chance the B2s got connected to the same power stand.

4. I'm going to have to find a location to try this out.

Everything running from the same power source - mixer, DJ controller, 2 L1 systems and laptop. Nothing major.

Dual mono - I followed the instructions on the wiki http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/inde...odel_II_Power_Stands
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Nick,

Even if you haven't had issues with the cables Check the Bass Module Cables
NickNZ
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 13, 2006

It's unlikely BOTH cables would cut out at once. The way I understand it, dual mono means each L1 is independent. In theory I could power down either one of the L1s and not affect the other. So if ONE B2 cable failed momentarily, that should cause them both to mute.... right?

Or am I thinking about this wrong?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Nick,

I agree that a single bass module cable wouldn't take out both L1®s, but it could explain the first issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
First time out with the Model II a few weeks back, I had a number of audio outages - just a few seconds at a time. It cuts clean, comes back on clean - no pops or thumps. Problem is when it happens, I've never been fast enough to see what the T1 or power stand lights are doing.

So it's worth eliminating cables as an issue. Please take a look at connectors seen in the pictures in the linked article.

The situation with two L1®s dropping out is almost certainly related to power, and that's why I asked you to try pushing both systems hard, in a different location; to see if you can make it happen again with a different power source.
DJ_Richard__Awa
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 9, 2005

I can't help thinking that your T1 is the culprit here. I'd like to see you replicate the set up minus that component. Straight out of your mixer into the L1s. It seems to me that either your mixer is giving the ToneMatch some dirty signal, or the ToneMatch has an intermittent fault still.
jaswrx
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 24, 2011

I bet you it is power related.

I have had this happen to me a few times.

The BOSE system does not play nice when other things are on the same circuit.

The loosing signal thing happened to me in the middle of Introductions. Extremely embarrassing. It kept on happening every time I yelled into the mic.
NickNZ
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 13, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by jaswrx:
I bet you it is power related.

....every time I yelled into the mic.

I need to find somewhere to set up and really crank this. I used to live rurally and that made things easier.

Oh - and you shouldn't be "yelling" into a mic, especially as an MC. Wink