Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

Re: What do you do when You're too loud and your Power is Cut?

Here is a reference to a post between ST & I a few months back. I had to start using an SPL, because of the outdoor coverage. Mind you I am only a Solo Act. Outdoors I keep it under 96 DB, Indoors at a Parrot Head function, they put out a noiselevel of 86 DB, just from talking before the music starts.

I am sure I hit the high 96+ db levels in there. The "A" weighting is more forgiving at the lower frequencies and is what OSHA recommends.

The post is located Using an SPL at the gig..

I personally think they make a lot of sense for a reference. In my case, they have stopped most all complaints, since I know where my levels are at.

In your case, especially if it is not set correctly, and it causes the shut down, I am sure it is a pain.

I would think the following would be more reasonable:

Check out the Weighted setting of their SPL meter. Is it "A" or "C"
See if the delay could be set to more like 10-15 seconds, with a flashing light to warn you first.
Try to build an awareness of the threshold - which would be easier if the first 2 items were put in place.
hellboy
Registered since

Jan 16, 2008

David, please read what Roy said in reply to you below your post, and you have the exact answer I would've given.

We are charged with "moving a crowd" on a Sat Night - many of them dancers, many of them not - we can't afford to be too soft, it's not a older audience Day gig, or a Sunday afternoon session.

Btw, the audience is complaining.

At one stage, people were walking out of an Abba Tribute Act late last year at this venue, because the AUDIENCE was effectively louder than that 6 piece show act!
hellboy
Registered since

Jan 16, 2008

Technical info for Mark, Dan & Joel in response to their questions.

(The below is a Cut n Paste from Club AV, the sound people who install and monitor the Venue's Sound System & Limiters.

"HI All,

Unfortunately OLGR ( Office of Liquor and Gaming ) do not operate under the terms of “technically 99db, but surely "erring" on the side of safety - perhaps calibrated to a theoretical 99db, but the "real world figure" (because of the room setting and acoustics) appears to us to be much lower.”

Whilst I can appreciate the feedback and do also find it frustratingly low for a live venue, these limits are not set to inside volumes however.

Unfortunately again unless the Unit used can supply a printed report and calibrated prior to use and at the end we can’t use it in any way,

A couple of quick checks can be performed here however, The unit in use be it hand held or professional, LOGR state that it must be set to the following.

Fast Response., C Weighted, most limiters when powered up will come up in slow and A weighted.

Ideally I would like to see the limiter lifted, or at least changed to Linear format..

Again Licensing issue, Once the limiter hits 99Db C Fast for 3 seconds. That’s it , power off,

We can change it and are happy to, however we use the same test equipment as Per Ron Rumble Acoustics and Palmer Acoustics and more importantly, LOGR.

It’s Your Licence.

Let us know if you would like assistance in calibration, Its due in April."
dberch
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2019

Good luck! What a frustrating situation!
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

The use of Fast Response and a "C" weighting, with a 3-5 second limit, especially with no Warning light, puts you in a very tough spot.
A UPS on the keyboard would help on the recovery time. I don't know if your group and the audience, can ever get used to the 99 DB (Fast Response and that's a real issue) limit.

The "C" weighting really, really makes it tough. Your probably at about 92 db "A" weighting limits.
kova
Registered since

Oct 5, 2008

Sometimes you gotta move on because nothing you do is going to save you from being fired or your audience losing all interest. I was in this exact situation a year ago. My power wasn't being cut off but the owner (same guy who hired me) kept asking me to turn down my Bose system. He was THE ONLY ONE asking me to turn it down and the audience wanted it up. So guess what happened... I did as the owner asked and people lost interest and I became "wallpaper" as I call it. Since I fell into the background, people slowly ignored me and business went down. Because business went down, the owner blamed me and fired me. He wanted it both ways. He wanted me to entertain the audience but he wanted me to do it at the level of elevator music. 99% of the Bar/Restaurant owners don't have a clue what they're doing when it comes to hiring live entertainment. You have to accept that or you're going to be one miserable musician. The sooner you accept that 99% of these owners are idiots, the happier you're going to be. I promise.

You have two choices. Either put up with the BS because the money's to good and milk it for all you can while you can or quit and move on to a less stressful gig. I've learned that NO PAYCHECK is worth getting that stressed over. I'll never put up with that again and I haven't. I'm a much happier musician now.

Life is to short and Bose sounds to good!
tightropetom
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2007

We used to play at a similar venue - they put the microphone right behind the stage for the limiter. Fortunately for us, we were able to locate other plugs and rig up a long extension (only problem is all power going through one extension unit) which was not connected to those sockets. If you tapped the snare, it went red - utterly pointless. Now, it rarely stayed red, more likely to do so if a DJ was playing but occasionally bands used to get cut off (except us). We used to put tape over the red lights too so that the management (who only used the visual aid and not a real db meter) could see that we weren't in the red (except for the 1st light) and left us alone. Simple, effective, and we got to play as loud as we wanted... 🙂
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't help but comment: why don't you setup your Bose, tell mgmnt it's your monitor system, turn down the house PA significantly and use the Bose as your main output? 96-98 dB from your Bose System will offer a lot more "bang for your buck" than the house system will.
davecfraser
Registered since

Feb 10, 2007

I think most people's attitude on here is WHY this unintelligent powercut off system even exists. Bands are notoriously too <<>> loud. It takes the fun out of going to see music.

People's response to a system that forces them to play within a limit is "See what type of extension cords and duck tape you can rig up to cheat"

How about turning down?

OSHA has established the following guidelines: For sound-pressure levels of 90 dBA (A-weighted decibels), the maximum allowable continuous exposure time is eight hours. For every 5-dB increase in SPL, the allowable exposure time is cut in half

So you wanna play for a 4 hour gig at over 99db? That is not a safe sound level.

Everyone's talking about becoming wallpaper, and not having enough energy. Energy comes from your heart, not the gain staging on your amplifier. A good entertainer can reach people without having to hurt their ears to do it.

Edit: Forum-Admin changed a disallowed word -- please see our Terms of Service link at the bottom of every page.
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

I think the reason we are all here on this forum, espousing the great sound of our Bose equipment, is we are tired of playing the game where we see if we can actually squeeze all the oxygen out of the room where we are playing! I remember long ago in Nashville when my wife and I went to see a local band and I complained to her about how excessively loud they were. She looked at me with a funny look and said "They aren't near as loud as you guys are." I was shocked. Afterall, wasn't it normal to play a Holiday Inn with four Cerwin-Vega 18" cabs w/horns, four 12" floor monitors w/horns, running four Peavey CS-800's? Full blast? Along with a full complement of Ampeg and Mesa Boogie amps, cranked, of course!

I like the loud of Bose; it's a good kind of loud. For the vast majority of gigs we all do, some configuration of Bose equipment is going to do a fantastic job for you and your customers.