RF-Musiker__Mus
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 25, 2009

Re: What microphone are you using with your S1 Pro system?

Is the S1 less picky with the microphones than Bose L1 compact? With the L1 compact I noticed nearly perfect results with SM 58, but other microphones made a good sound, funny thing, that my cheapest microphone sounded very well, but for best results, I use a TC-Helicon VoiceTone T1, but can't do this outdoor.

Golgoth21
Registered since

Jul 23, 2018

@Musicianthomas 

Hi,

You wrote about an S1 working along with a T1 for a KMS105.

What are your settings on the T1 in order your KMS105 works fine ?

Thank you in advance.

G21

Paul_Rumbol
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

I haven't got my own S1 Pro yet but I tested various mics with a friends one afternoon last week.

Rode M2 was my favourite but this super-cardioid is a condenser so you need to have some phantom power from somewhere. As I usually use a Boss VE2 harmoniser pedal too the phantom power comes from that. More output than any of the others tested, beautiful clarity & crispness you'd expect from a condenser & the S1's mic tonematch setting deals with the unwanted lower frequencies sometimes evident with this mic without any further adjustments in eq. If you've never tried this mic, give one a go, you'll be amazed at how it sounds & it's half to a third of the price of the AT & Audix's.

Audio Technica AE6100 is usually my favourite when I'm singing lead. The hypercardioid  pattern suits my eat the mic style perfectly & this was almost as good a sound as the Rode through the S1.

OM6 is another great sounding hypercardioid mic with the S1. Not quite as crisp as the Rode or the AT but still sounds great.

OM7 is the mic I nearly always use with my L1 system. I'm always the nearest to the speaker so a mic with excellent feedback rejection is essential (this mic is the best out there for that purpose). With the S1 you have to turn it up a bit as the output is considerably lower but there was still enough volume to cut through. It's a high quality mic that sounds very good too..

SM58 was the least impressive. Ok but when compared with the others not even close. People who've used them for years & years tend to stick with them & they're obviously an industry standard but if you're being objective I don't think it's in the same class as the others I've mentioned.

oldmachead
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

After using the Beta 58a I tend to use that more than my SM58. The Beta 58a sounds better than the SM58, to me. The SM58 is pretty darn good so I do take it out often.

Boz1
Registered since

May 7, 2019

Not a better, clearer dynamic mic for the Bose system than the Heil PR35.  I've has Shure Sm58's wireless and wired but one of the best (SM58) is no match for the Heil.  Slap a XVIVE bluetooth wireless system on it and Wa-la it is wireless and sounds great with my S1's with B2 woofers.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Here is a table showing some common dynamic microphones

Microphone Sensitivity in mV/Pascal with Polar Pattern

MicrophoneSensitivity mV/PascalPolar Pattern
Audix OM31.60Hypercardioid
Audix OM52.00Hypercardioid
Beyerdynamic M80 N2.50Hypercardioid
EV N/D767A     3.10Supercardioid
EV N/D86          2.40Supercardioid
EV N/D96        3.30Supercardioid
Rode M11.60Cardioid
Sennheiser e935    2.80Cardioid
Sennheiser e945    2.00Supercardioid
Shure Beta 58     2.60Supercardioid
Shure SM58       1.85Cardioid

ST

Jeff in VT
Participant
Registered since

Jun 14, 2020

I just received my S1 and used it in a church last Saturday evening.  The volume on the Guitar was fine as my pickup has a 9v Pre-Amp.  I use a Shure KSM8 microphone and had to turn the volume to Max to balance the sound.  I have a T1 mixer, but want to be able to be completely wireless. The T1 requires 110V power.  I tried out a ProMix battery powered mini-mixer, but got a lot of hiss.  Any suggestions to get more volume out of a dynamic mic?  Thanks!

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Look over this thread from the beginning as it boils down to get another mic that has more output or get a mixer that has some mic preamps to boost the mic signal. The char above shows some mic outputs by brand/model.

We have been very happy with the battery powered Behrenger 1200B mixer. More than you need probably, but puts out a solid signal with no noise. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Jeff in VT.

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

@Jeff in VT posted:

I just received my S1 and used it in a church last Saturday evening.  The volume on the Guitar was fine as my pickup has a 9v Pre-Amp.  I use a Shure KSM8 microphone and had to turn the volume to Max to balance the sound.  I have a T1 mixer, but want to be able to be completely wireless. The T1 requires 110V power.  I tried out a ProMix battery powered mini-mixer, but got a lot of hiss.  Any suggestions to get more volume out of a dynamic mic?  Thanks!

There's no harm running the microphone with the channel volume turned all the way up.  If there's no distortion, you're fine.

If you've got the microphone channel volume all the way up, you may be able to get a bit more by turning up the bass and treble.

When the channel LED light goes solid red, you have reached the maximum volume available for the channel.  Adding a mixer between the microphone and the S1 Pro will not give you a louder, clean signal if it is already solid red. All you'll get is distortion.

Make sure you have the ToneMatch Preset switch set to MIC for the microphone and GUITAR for the guitar.

If you've maxed out your options with the microphone channel try turning down the guitar to get a better mix.

I just updated the table of dynamic microphones.

MicrophoneSensitivity in mV/PascalPolar Pattern
Audix OM21.60Hypercardioid
Audix OM31.60Hypercardioid
Audix OM52.00Hypercardioid
Beyerdynamic M882.90Hypercardioid
EV N/D767A     3.10Supercardioid
EV ND 86          2.40Supercardioid
EV ND 96        3.30Supercardioid
Rode M11.60Cardioid
Sennheiser e935    2.80Cardioid
Sennheiser e945    2.00Supercardioid
Shure Beta 58     2.60Supercardioid
Shure KSM82.66Cardioid
Shure SM58       1.85Cardioid

Please check out this article. S1 Pro Microphone vs Guitar Level

ST

Marty C
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

Behringer 1002b is a battery powered mixer that will give the mic a boost.  

You could always use a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic.  They are battery powered and will give the mic a good boost. 

I have also used a Yamaha MG06x mixer together with a power bank (purchased on Amazon) and a USB to 12v converter.