Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Re: What's wrong with this photo?

Hi DJ MarcusT,

this story reminds me of Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade", which was first published in 1854.
"Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred."
It basically says "Do what your told and don't argue." If we do something for money, he who pays for the Band gets to call the tune. Nothing's really changed, has it? Even if it was the hotel staff in this case.

AJ's definitely right on this one

Q: "Your a better man than me. And you did the "right" thing."

Sometimes, you've just got to make a fist in your pocket and make a compromise.

The posted link from ST is really interesting.
I scrolled right down and saw something which I use myself to extend the power cable of my T1 using the Cable which came with the unit. It allows me to keep the power supply near the L1 so that I don't need to have mains power at my feet when gigging. That is the Neutrik NE8FF feedthrough coupler for cable extensions. Also the Neutrik NE8MC looks interesting. Has anyone (maybe ST) tried that one out. It must be good for making use of really long RJ45 cables enabling you to get well away from the L1 when using the T1 and still have a really durable connection.

Sorry, if this is too off Topic for this thread.

Have a really good Xmas everyone

Tony
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

Considering the amount of bass most DJ's (and bands) like to use these days, and probable complaints from people trying to sleep or watch TV directly below the ballroom, I don't blame them.

And really, I don't see that using the Bose would decrease that bass volume much...
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Tony (Seagullman),

I've replied to your question in a separate discussion:

Neutrik NE8MC

Please follow the link.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi DJ MarcusT,

quote:
Originally posted by DJ MarcusT:
Thanks ST, I just ordered a 15 footer.

Glad you connected with http://audiopile.net They are good people.
quote:

Still I would love to know if any other DJ's have ran in to this rule at Hotels?

There are always House Rules. They aren't a problem (for me) unless I'm caught by surprise. Checking in advance helps.

The staff are just people doing their jobs and for the most part, I find a person is doing the best s/he can given the whole constellation of things that constitute her/his universe. I can never know all of that.

But when it comes to House Rules, one way or the other, the house rules.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi DJ MarcusT,

I noticed this on your site:

"We prefer NOT to play music with profanity."

I'm not disagreeing with the preference. It's a choice and you get to make it. How does that work out for you? Do you think it costs you any business?
djmarcust
Registered since

Dec 20, 2011

Wow ST, Thanks for checking out my site. No, I have never heard from anyone that has flat out told me that they chose another DJ for their event because they read that statement on my website. I target the 30 and older crowd.

Most of the clients I have prefer me to play "clean" versions of songs. As you know, every client/gig is different and I have had a few clients over the years who have asked me to play the "dirty" version of songs. Funny thing is, it's always the buttoned up librarian types who request the "dirty" songs...LOL. As long as the client approves, I will play it.

Thanks
djxl
Registered since

Dec 25, 2012

The way you have set, I would have kept the T1 close to me on the table otherwise every time you have to adjust something you have to walk to the speaker.
djmarcust
Registered since

Dec 20, 2011

quote:
DJ XL

Thanks DJ XL,
Yes, this is the second gig I have done with this unit. On the first gig, I had the T1 very close to me 🙂
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

Never ran into this either but if I'm running our standard setup with my table then they go under the table as has been said. Sorry to see a venue tell a DJ something like this late in the game.
djmarcust
Registered since

Dec 20, 2011

quote:
nextgen1

I received a call from the hotel event planner a week before the party and no questions were asked of me regarding my set up or the speaker placement.