bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

What's your opinion on this? Be nice!

I am about to order my Bose system in December. Smile I would like to know what your thoughts are on the following scenerio. Granted it does not have to be loud like a High School Dance. Just clear and solid for the competition.
Scenerio...
I run Sound/DJ/Emcee a High School Dance Team competition every year. It is in split level basketball gym. I normally run, single 15" tops on top of single 18" subs and have more than enough power to cover this large of an area. I place the speakers in one spot on the short end of the rectangle court towards the corner and shoot the sound towards the adjacent corner to avoid "slapback" from the opposing side.
I am looking at an 2 L1 Model 1's with 4 B1's. I will also probably purchase 2 L1 compacts for smaller DJ gigs. What would you or would you use of the two systems and how would you place the speakers. Remember the sound doesn't have to be loud, just enough to give energy, and reach the bleachers mid way up.
Thanks for you opinions,
Bobby
24 REPLIES 24
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Re: What's your opinion on this? Be nice!

What are the dimensions of the room?
How far from the set up to the bleachers?

If your audience is used to mega base, pick up a Pack Lite and a couple more B1's
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Well, if it's a normal sized gym, meaning high school sized full basketball court and bleachers that slide out from the wall at the height of 50-75 feet tall on each side, you can set it up just on one side of the gym. I do cheerleader championships in a gym here. I could easily do it with one L1 and four b1's, but I use two L1s and four b1's and they set my up just under the basket ball goal, that is of coursed cranked up to the ceiling. I get no "slapback" whatsoever. One of the reasons this school calls me year after year because their sound system is horrible at slapback and other djs have not been able to tame the room either. I bet you could probably do what you're doing with just one L1 and 2 B1's.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

oh, and by the way, that competition is this Wednesday. The competition coach just sent me all the info for the event and I found this in there. Maybe it will give you an idea of how big this gym is. Of course I just copied and pasted the important info.

KWHS CAVALIER GYM FACT SHEET
Built: 2002-2003
Seating Capacity: 1500 in bleachers
Additional 1000 seats can be placed on floor for concert situation.

Playing Court Area: Floor is 100% maple and is a floating floor to allow more cushion and reduce injuries.
There are 3 official size Volleyball courts. 2 going cross-court and then the main court.
There are 3 official size Basketball courts. 2 going cross-court and then the main court.
Shuffleboard and bowling markings are located on each side of the court.
A large curtain located in the middle can be lowered to divide the gym into two halves.
Padding located at each end of main court.
State-of–the-art sound system with hearing assisted devices for the hearing impaired.

(now, the state of the art sound system is something I could not agree with at all. Why would they have to hire me?)
jdbassentertain
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

I think your original idea of two L1's Model 1's & four B1's was a good idea. Even thought one L1 could pull it if, you want "solid" & that is exactly what two-four L1/B1 combo will give you. If you were to use one L1 you would have to drive it hard the whole time to make it sound "solid". With all the people- cheering & the size of the room I'd want two L1 & at least four B1's. If money isn't a issue i think it would be a good idea to get the two Compacts & run them wireless as satellite speakers on the opposite side of the room facing you.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I keep forgetting to say that I use a T1 of course. Which helps get the best sound and best performance of volume out of my L1 systems. More than what you would get with an aftermarket dj or band type mixer.
jdbassentertain
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

I respectfully disagree, while you may think the T1 is the best mixer for the L1's I have discovered other wise. I had the T1 & sent it back. I think the T1 is the perfect match to the L1 Mod. II, but think it's not all that great if used with the model one through the 1/4" line inputs. I would like to say it is your opinion that the T1 is the best match, but my opinion is that my Denon X500 mixer sounds better than the T1 for my L1 Mod. ones.

I don't need to go into detail about all the things I didn't like about the T1, but one of the main things was that I didn't like was how it sounded with my L1's. I did however like the way it made my Compact sound, but I couldnt keep it just for the Compact.

I thinks it's important that opinions are not given as gospel.
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

The gym is a two story structure. I don't know the exact dimensions. It is large. I have in the past been able to work it very well with my setup. No overheating after 12 hours of continous use and pushing out dance music. The girls get approx. 3 minutes per routine and I will run about 15 to 18 acts per hour. I am sure that the 2 L1 Mod 1 and 4 B1's would do a great job. I am looking for replies with constructive do's and don'ts of using the Bose in a gym setting.
Thanks for the responses!
jdbassentertain
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Well one "do" is if you are going to have a people right in from of the L1's get them at least a foot off the ground. This way the people in the back will be able to hear as well.
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

to T1 or not to T1 I did a party for a client with regular dj mixer went ok next year they call me back and while discussing details they mention my sound wasn't real clear at last show. Wanted to know why. I had switched to a T1 by the second show and they raved about the difference.