Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

Which System For Rehearsal?

I’m looking to get a Bose L1 system for my bands rehearsal room. We’ll be running 2 acoustic guitars, 1 electric bass, 1 keyboard and 2-3 vocal mics through the Bose L1. (With an external mixer) A 4 piece drum set will be played acoustically. So, which one would you recommend? At first I was looking at the L1 Compact, then I read it was not powerful enough on the bass line.

The rehearsal room measures 16.24 x 11.74 (roughly 190.65 sq ft) and the height of the room 10.23 ft.

It is acoustically treated. What system could I run it on?

PS I was almost safe on the L1 Model 1S/B2 but I read you need to be at least 12 ft from the unit to get a good sound. Is there a guideline for this?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Which System For Rehearsal?

That's a very small room.

My rehearsal/recording space is a little bit bigger and I fill it completely with just 2 Bose S1 Pro systems and ONE Behringer B1200D Subwoofer.

If I were you, I'd do the same along with a small bass amp and I hope your drummer knows how to play softly and still in tempo.

2 acoustic guitars and 2-3 vocal mics would be hard to control using an L1M2, but if you must, I'd say an L1S with one B2 might work - and you wouldn't need a bass amp.  Placement will be critical though.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

I concur with Chet3, a pair of S1 Pros, a small format mixer and small bass amp would more than cover. A L1 system seems overkill for that size room.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Although - since an L1S with B2 bass unit is about the same cost as a pair of S1s and a subwoofer...

With an L1S you would have a nice, easy to carry PA for smaller gigs too.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 3, 2018

We use a single L1M2 + B2 for rehearsing in a 15' x 9' room which is only just high enough to assemble the Bose system.  Guitar amps (2) and bass amp are DI'd into a mixer, along with electronic drums and 3 mics (SM58).  The mixer output goes into the L1 and we balance the individual amps and the L1 to retain a degree of back line presence.  We employ exactly the same setup for gigs, simply adding a second L1M2 + B2 for the larger venues.

It's a squeeze to fit all the gear and the band into such a small area but it sounds great even though we are practically on top of the L1.  From my experience I don't think you need to worry about the sound.