cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice
Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community!

This is a community for Live Musicians, DJs & KJs, Entertainers of all kinds, and Sound Engineers to discuss Bose Professional S1, L1, F1, and Tonematch systems.

The Bose Community for Bose speakers, headphones, audio sunglasses and more is no longer available. If you need assistance with other Bose products, such as the Quiet Comfort Earbuds, Soundbar 900, QuietComfort 45, etc., please visit our support site. Please note that threads created for non-Bose Professional products will be removed.

Thanks for your understanding!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djpk
Registered since

Jul 19, 2014

Why have you chosen your L1 setup?

I'm new to this forum, but have been here for some time learning and deciphering Bose product information.

Basically, I'm a wedding/corporate DJ at venues with guests ranging from 100 - 200. For years I've been using my big Mackie speakers and sub which have been awesome for sound quality and reliability. But, being in my 40's and having had a recent health issue, I've decided that I need to upgrade gear to more lightweight setup as each speaker in my Mackie setup weighs about 20kg (44 lbs). This obvious choice for me is Bose L1 equipment.

Now I should mention that I have not purchased my Bose products yet, and am attempting to understand some other people's thoughts on why they chose their own setups. I myself, am trying to get to my local dealer this week to hear the systems in person. I came across them a few years back and was impressed with them then, but didn't have the need for a system at the time.

Whilst I've been lurking on the dedicated DJ forum, that mainly seems for us to show our setups and I didn't feel it relevant to post my questions there.

I have a few questions for Bose users as I try to establish my own requirements, and I must state that my questions are not to in any way doubt the Bose systems, I am purely trying to make sure I am purchasing the right Bose setup for my own needs:

- why are so many DJs with the L1 and B1 setups using the B1 module stacked?
- why do they find that one B1 is not enough?
- why do they have 2,4 B1 subs stacked instead of using a B2?
- is this due to the room sizes they are in or the sound volume? Or, the quantity of guests they're playing to?
- is this due to the sound quality?
- do they feel the B1 is underrated?
- looking on the Bose web site, the L1S with a single B1 bass is enough for up to 300 guests, so why do so many DJs posting pics on the DJ thread have multiple L1 towers with 4 subs (I think I saw a few pics that had 6 or 8 subs)? Many of the pics which show the guests tables would appear to have half this amount of guests.
- why do so many of the DJs posting their pics mention that they own multiple Bose systems? Some state they have the Compact model (some say 2 of these) as well as owning multiple L1 Model II systems, which is great, but why, as I would assume that buying one setup that covers everything would be enough... wouldn't it?

I would appreciate any input from DJs who may have had the same questions, or any who are willing to share their own stories and thoughts as to why they chose or indeed use the Bose setups they have.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Why have you chosen your L1 setup?

Hi DJPK,

Thank you for joining the Forum.

Some history might help here.

2003: The L1® Classic and the B1
When the L1® came out in 2003 it could run zero, one, or two B1 Bass Modules.
L1® Classic

Although not commonly used this way, the L1® without a B1 worked well for spoken word, vocals, and some used it this way for acoustic guitar.

The L1® Classic Power Stand (and the L1® Model I, Model 1S and Model II that followed) supported one or two B1s. Adding a second B1 could add up to +6 dB to the output in the bass frequencies.

2005 The A1 Packlite amp
The A1 PackLite could be purchased - packaged with two B1s. This allowed L1® owners to run two, four, or more B1s with a single L1®.
A1 PackLite Extended Bass Package

2007 Model I replaces the Classic
Without going into a lot of detail, this was a functional replacement for the Classic, although it was more energy efficient.
L1® Model I

2007 The L1® Model II
Lighter and much easier to move than it's predecessor, it also provided even wider distribution to the extreme left and right. It supports bass expansion with an A1 PackLite amp and more bass modules. At the time it was introduced this meant B1s, and today you can use B2s.
L1® Model II

2009 The L1® Compact
The Compact is lighter, easier to move, and physically smaller than the full-sized L1®s. It can run for hours on third party portable power devices.
L1® Compact in the wiki

I don't need to run on batteries and it's very rare that I can't find room for a full-sized L1®. From that standpoint, since I already had a Model II, I didn't NEED a Compact, but since then I have found countless opportunities to use it.

2012 The Model 1S
Similar to the Model 1S, but the Model II projects to cover a greater distance in all directions. The Model 1S supports up to two B1s or on B2.
L1® Model 1S
2012 B2
This has a B2 Bass Level Switch that allows it to sound very similar to a single B1 or two B1s or four B1s.
B2 Bass Module

quote:
Originally posted by DJPK:
I'm new to this forum, but have been here for some time learning and deciphering Bose product information.

Basically, I'm a wedding/corporate DJ at venues with guests ranging from 100 - 200. For years I've been using my big Mackie speakers and sub which have been awesome for sound quality and reliability. But, being in my 40's and having had a recent health issue, I've decided that I need to upgrade gear to more lightweight setup as each speaker in my Mackie setup weighs about 20kg (44 lbs). This obvious choice for me is Bose L1 equipment.

Now I should mention that I have not purchased my Bose products yet, and am attempting to understand some other people's thoughts on why they chose their own setups. I myself, am trying to get to my local dealer this week to hear the systems in person. I came across them a few years back and was impressed with them then, but didn't have the need for a system at the time.

Whilst I've been lurking on the dedicated DJ forum, that mainly seems for us to show our setups and I didn't feel it relevant to post my questions there.

I have a few questions for Bose users as I try to establish my own requirements, and I must state that my questions are not to in any way doubt the Bose systems, I am purely trying to make sure I am purchasing the right Bose setup for my own needs:

- why are so many DJs with the L1 and B1 setups using the B1 module stacked?

Some DJs acquired their L1®s (and B1s) before the B2 came out.
Smaller shows/events were a B2 is not required.
quote:

- why do they find that one B1 is not enough?

It's fine for smaller shows (ceremonies, spoken word) and it's easier to move.
quote:

- why do they have 2,4 B1 subs stacked instead of using a B2?

Systems acquired before the B2 came out.

People stack the B1s because they designed to be stacked, (interlocking feet) and you also get the benefit of acoustic coupling.
quote:

- is this due to the room sizes they are in or the sound volume? Or, the quantity of guests they're playing to?

Yes, all of the above
quote:

- is this due to the sound quality?

B1s and B2s - They do sound different and the Model II System responds differently with B2s than it did with B1s. Without going into a LOT of detail, if you like the sound of the B1 (I do) adding a second B1 does not change the sound a lot, but it does allow you to run a system louder overall with very little change in sound at low volume.

If you are running an L1® Model II with a B2 and add an A1 PackLite and a B2, there is an immediate increase in the bass frequencies even at low volume.

Depending on the types of events you do, you might prefer one over the other, or prefer to have a choice.
quote:

- do they feel the B1 is underrated?
- looking on the Bose web site, the L1S with a single B1 bass is enough for up to 300 guests, so why do so many DJs posting pics on the DJ thread have multiple L1 towers with 4 subs (I think I saw a few pics that had 6 or 8 subs)? Many of the pics which show the guests tables would appear to have half this amount of guests.

I'll leave this to the DJs
quote:

- why do so many of the DJs posting their pics mention that they own multiple Bose systems? Some state they have the Compact model (some say 2 of these) as well as owning multiple L1 Model II systems, which is great, but why, as I would assume that buying one setup that covers everything would be enough... wouldn't it?

Some of the DJs run multiple L1® because they may be doing more than one event at the same time, or they have to provide sound in more than one place. Others may set up a smaller system for a ceremony, and a larger system for a banquet or dancing.

The Compact is very versatile and I have watched as people who already had the larger systems bought the Compacts to give them more options.

I use my Compacts as remote systems where I need to extend my coverage to other rooms, patios, anyplace where the sound from the main L1®s can reach.
quote:

I would appreciate any input from DJs who may have had the same questions, or any who are willing to share their own stories and thoughts as to why they chose or indeed use the Bose setups they have.

Thanks.

I'm not a DJ, but I've been here talking with L1® owners for a long time.

Does that help?
djpk
Registered since

Jul 19, 2014

Hi ST, yes, thanks for your detailed response, that certainly helps clarify many of my questions, especially in relation to the history you mention. That certainly makes sense as to why the different versions has different different setups used, I hadn't realised that was the scenario.

I have an audio and lighting trade show in my town (Melbourne, Australia) this week which I will be attending to spend some time at the Bose stand. This show has come at the perfect time for me.

I am also a musician (guitarist and vocalist), and from what I can establish, this could be the perfect system for me to cover both uses.

Is there any genre of music the system doesn't like? Does it like jazz more than it likes heavy distorted guitars etc.?

Thanks again ST, I appreciate your response.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi DJPK,

quote:
Originally posted by DJPK:
Hi ST, yes, thanks for your detailed response, that certainly helps clarify many of my questions, especially in relation to the history you mention. That certainly makes sense as to why the different versions has different different setups used, I hadn't realised that was the scenario.

I'm glad that all made sense.
quote:

I have an audio and lighting trade show in my town (Melbourne, Australia) this week which I will be attending to spend some time at the Bose stand. This show has come at the perfect time for me.

I am also a musician (guitarist and vocalist), and from what I can establish, this could be the perfect system for me to cover both uses.

Is there any genre of music the system doesn't like? Does it like jazz more than it likes heavy distorted guitars etc.?

I think it's fair to say that if you can make a sound, the L1® can make it louder and deliver it to an audience.

I run acoustic guitars, and jazz boxes straight into my T1® and from there to my L1®s. I've run my electric guitars through all kinds of different processors and effects units including Line6, Roland, TC-Helicon, and Kemper into the T1® or directly into L1®. The L1®s can handle everything I've thrown at them.
quote:

Thanks again ST, I appreciate your response.

Glad to help.
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

I'm primarily a wedding MC/DJ as you are. I personally 1 L-1 model one now being used for ceremonies with a B-1 added. And for wedding receptions I use 2 L-1 Model 2's each with its own B-2. I find that 2 of the speakers systems tends to be perfect for our events which are very much like yours. I like the looks of 2 of them as well as the complete stereo sound and feel. Is it costly?

Yes will your system shine above pretty much everyone elses, I would say yes. The Bose is not the end all of all speakers and events. But for weddings and wedding jocks it will certainly take you to were your wanting to go.
djpk
Registered since

Jul 19, 2014

Thanks nextgen1.

That is the scenario I was considering i.e. 2 x systems — of course, the cost is a problem.

How do you find using two of the L1 Model II systems side by side?
Do you run them as stereo by plugging one to your left output on the desk and the other to the right output of your desk, or both as mono?
How far apart do you have them (approx.), as I read on another thread that they should be 20 feet between the two array towers? Do you find this is the case for you?
I would only have this luxury in maybe two of the venues for the past 12 months. Mostly, my venues are much smaller space that I'm given to work within.
Last question for you, did you start the wedding receptions with a single L1 Model II system with a B2 sub and find that wasn't enough, or did you just start with two systems?
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

First, in the spirit of full disclosure:

I'm not a DJ.
I've not used a B2.

If you're still reading Big Grin

But here are some scenarios that might make you buy one over the other. These may or may not apply to you.

- If vehicle space or carting/handling space is an issue, I find it much easier to deal with 2 smaller B1's than 1 B2, mostly size issues, as well as weight.

As far as I'm concerned, running in stereo is a waste of time and a throwback to the old days. However, if you're doing a gig outdoors or in a large convention hall, where you need to cover more than 180 deg of direction, you could use two if you point them appropriately, and cover basically 360 deg.

-I find using 2 B1's has a larger area of coverage than 1 (say again, if you're playing outside). I don't know the coverage of a B2 vs 2
B1's, I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on this forum.

Hope this helps a little...
DopplerAudio
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 21, 2005

For the events that I do, side by side not a big help unless they're running distinct sources (like different instruments) stereo not a big help. I run mono just to even out coverage. Phase cancellation is a negligible issue compared to lack of coverage. Using 2 L1s, spread them out. Running loud, at least 15 feet apart. I use L1 Compacts as rear fill if 2 L1s aren't enough.
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
As far as I'm concerned, running in stereo is a waste of time and a throwback to the old days

Hi

I thought the old days where when you "had" to run in mono, cause Stereo had not been "invented" yet! Boy am I showing my age! But I digress ....I run in Mono and in Stereo and find both pleasing depending on the size of the room, crowd. Venue. etc. But to say that
"stereo is a waste of time" sure must make Les Paul rollover. In the end....Do it your way. I do ........nuff said. And just for the record....I am a musican. drums, keyboards, vocals, and a DJ when necessary. Work is work and Bose makes it much easier on the sound and my back.

Aj
class Entertainment
"music is neither new or old....it just "is"
( Just like Stereo )
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

I typically use 1 model 2, T1, and a b2 for weddings/corporate parties.
Larger events over 275, I typically add another.
Ceremonies, cocktail, I use a compact.

Yesterday's wedding: 190 guests. Sound was excellent. Used the 1 model 2. Had a compact out on patio for ceremony and then cocktail. During reception, compact was wirelessly connected to my main system. Also used a compact for audio for a video montage that was displayed at the opposite side of the room.