Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kent_Arnsbarger
Registered since

Mar 2, 2006

Will this battery pack run a Compact?

You can see it here. Black and Decker Powerpack 600

I'd love to use something that's NOT a loud stinky generator (and expensive). Thoughts?
thanks

edit: fixed link
17 REPLIES 17
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Re: Will this battery pack run a Compact?

Hi Kent,

I have a similar battery pack, not the same as the one you show, that I've used to power my Compact.
It works well when fully charged, but will not work when the battery is about 1/2 way discharged.
MP3 players make an annoying digital "beep" between songs, not sure what that's all about.

I read in another post a while back about the B&D, and the results were reported as good.
Kent_Arnsbarger
Registered since

Mar 2, 2006

thanks for the info. My dad how is an electrician is pretty heavily advising NOT running my compact on one of these. But I think with a power conditioner, it might not be so bad..... That Durecell one looks nice too.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Kent,

Not having used one of these with a Compact, I don't want to offer any assurances, but I did some research and found:

The full specifications on the Duracell site here: Duracell Powerpack 600.

On the second page I found.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom-at-Bose:
Current from 12V Battery to Inverter

Idle: 12W 1.5 Amps from battery

Filling a room: 30W 3 Amps from battery

Full Out: 60W 6 Amps from battery

There are also "Power Packs" available which have the battery built in with the inverter. To find out how long one of the "Portable Power Packs" will run divide the amp hour rating of the battery by the amps from the list above (usually divide by 3), this is assuming it uses a 12V battery.

Source: AC Power (and discussion about Power Packs)
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Kent,

Also, just found this.

Lovinthemix reports results with the Duracell Powerpack 600 (and several others join the discussion).
Kent_Arnsbarger
Registered since

Mar 2, 2006

Hi ST,
sooooo, this is saying it should work just fine then right???

What about adding a power conditioner to the setup for dips in power? I think I remember the L1 having something built in like that, I don't know about the compact.

Apparently people are using them. I wouldn't need it much, but incase of a power blackout or a remote deal, this would be ideal over a loud stinky generator.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Kent,

Did you check out Roy's comments in the linked thread? Or Drumr Pete's in this one.

I don't have any direct experience running a Compact on a battery pack, but based on the comments here and the other thread, I'd probably give this a try if I really needed to run disconnected from AC power.
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

Hi kent,

Most of the units, including the Black & Decker and the Duracell will run a Compact L1 speaker, with no problem. The biggest issue, especially with the Duracell unit, is getting one that has a reasonably fresh battery in it. Amazon and others were having a bad series of units with older batteries in them that would not take a good charge.

I would test out a unit very throurly to measure it's charge time, performance, run time and ability to hold a charge for several weeks.
Two downsides, most vendors claim they are hazmat items, so you can't ship them back and the batteries are not replaceable by the end user.
Kent_Arnsbarger
Registered since

Mar 2, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by Joelheck:
Hi kent,

I would test out a unit very throurly to measure it's charge time, performance, run time and ability to hold a charge for several weeks.
Two downsides, most vendors claim they are hazmat items, so you can't ship them back and the batteries are not replaceable by the end user.

So maybe smarter to just buy from a local Walmart that I can return to if needed.
Well I'm certainly liking all that I've seen here so far. Looks like I will be picking one up!!
thanks everyone!!
proflowery
Registered since

May 11, 2011

Here's an experiment I ran about a year ago. I've been relying on this unit to power one compact for up to 3 hours with no problems at all. You can still find them on eBay and other places on the net,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdK2WUql9oQ